Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Did You Find Your Character

Options
  • 29-04-2010 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

With the imminent release of Super (and for those who have it already ;) ) it's time to look at character appeal.

My back story is that Street Fighter 4 is the first time I've played the series properly (and fighting games in general really) - played 2 back on PC and played a game called One Must Fall (which was essentially a SF rip off the more I think about it) but never really put time into them or learned combos / specials...

So with the release of 4, and pretty much Super, I am a blank canvas. I still haven't found a character because to be honest, for ages I was discouraged very easily - not realising that I have 20 years of catchup on some players!

So, how do you select a character (for any fighting game) - is it their style, their moveset, their options, their tier, the fact that you can get through their trials without hurling a controller? Tell me your story....and, if it applies, with Super how will you test alternative characters or may you switch to a new character that was already in the series?

🤪

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Ah I got this one this is easy.

You pick one with a cape or a fedora.

Play around with a few you think you like the look of and the one you enjoy the most stick to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I initially started with Ken in SFIV... which stemmed from one fateful trip to Epcot in Florida a full 10 years ago this summer! I played a game called 'Marvel Vs Capcom 2' on a Dreamcast demo pod they had there. I did the Shippuujinrai Kyaku and that was it... hooked. First super combo I'd ever seen, as my experience with Street Fighter up to that point had been SFII Turbo on the SNES.

Played Ken for a while, but was sick of seeing him online, so I moved to Sagat (teh irony, I know). Reasoning was he seemed to have a good move for just about anything. Used him for a bit, and got on well enough I suppose. Also played as Cammy for a bit, purely based on aesthetic tbh ;) Eventually I was playing less and less SF, but last Christmas the OH got me an EX2 stick, which reignited my love of SF in a big way.

Since getting the stick I found that my execution is better with charge characters, so I moved to Chun Li, and haven't looked back. Still play as Cammy a bit, but all about Chun. I'm still not 100% on execution with the stick, and that frustrates me, but I couldn't go back to pad now! No way.

As for Super... Along with Chun and Cammy, I'm going to use Guile. Would have used him in IV, but I couldn't link into his Ultra (don't laugh)... But Sonic Hurricane means he's now looking great :) Will also use Ibuki as I've always wanted to try her out, but never played any iteration of III (for shame).

Another stipulation of me picking a character is that they must have an air-throw. All four above tick this box! Would prefer charge to qcf characters, but like I said in another thread, I can't eliminate most of the cast because my execution isn't up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Picked Dhalsim in super turbo because I thought he looked very technical. Squishy but fun. And I quite like his ultra floaty jump. I also liked to drill people into the corner in super turbo. :p

So I stuck with him for SF4 and will do so with SSF4. I quite like T-Hawk too though with SSF4 and I'm going to put a few hours work into him. He isn't a combo character so my dhalsim instincts won't have to be over thrown. Most of his stuff is single move counter stuff like Sim.

But he has oodles of health and Command grabs so it should be good fun using him. I also like his double sweep with crouching Heavy kick. Good move that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

I initially picked Ryu as a my main because I admired the stoicness and dedication of his personality in the SF canon. Obviously the main reason he became my main was because of his playing style. I like the fact that he's well balanced in the sense he can be played offensively and defensively.

In general characters with outlandish,comic book like appearances put me off playing intially,i.e. Blanka,Oro,Seth, Yoshimitsu ect. Which is one of the reasons I really want to learn Makoto properly in Super IV. I like characters who have a well balanced playing style. Sometimes I do use the speedy kung fu chick though,Chun li is probably my second favourite,but I only really started using her a lot from HD Remix onwards because of her new SBK. In V.F. I main in Pai,in DOA Lei Fang, in Tekken it's either Paul,Law,Ling or Kazuya,in Samurai Shodown it has to be Haohmaru,KOF would be Mai. I hav'nt really managed to get a comfortable style going with any Blazblue or Guilty gear character. I'm really good with DJ but I hate using him. I think it's that permenant grin which I find annoying. I'm good with Honda but I find he's a bit limited and predictable against really good players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

One word, Sabre...
    Sho...Ryu...Ken!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Mr. K wrote: »
    One word, Sabre...
    Sho...Ryu...Ken!

ryu.png

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Well, for SF4 what happened was I spent some time with all the characters and see which ones felt the most natural to me.

If memory is correct there was initially 5 or six characters who interested me-

Ryu (because I instantly could play with him)
    Sakura (liked her rush down game)
    Gouken (liked his palm/ hp hadoken mind games)
    Chun Li (had a soft spot since alpha)
    Vega (my old champ edition main)
    and of course Guile, who I liked for similar reasons to Ryu- I could instantly use him, and (as anyone who played me for the first six months would know) I loved abusing air throw, and Guile's boom pressure game meant I could use it alot.

Super's changed Guile now and I love it. I can advance, play rushdown with him. AJ, my housemate Ryu, lives in fear of his new backhand, you can do it on reaction after landing a boom now as well which is great. Hurricane shuts down fireball games and is nice and quick.

Yet under it all he's still Guile, and at a seconds notice I can revert to hyper turtle mode. He feels like a complete character with options and despite others in Super interesting me (Ibuki and Dudley instantly felt natural to me) I don't see me doing anything but booming my way to victory.

Oh and the sun glasses. Slow boom chip victory sunglasses FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

In SFIV I messed with Ryu and Boxer at first, then I switched to Ken. I liked his mixup with kara throw and I thought he was cool so I picked him. I eventually got bored and felt like he was limiting me as a player so I recently switched to El Fuerte and I love him.

In super I have been messing with Dudley, because he was so class in 3s, and his mixup and damage output in super is really really good. My type of character

As for Urien, well, WTF Capcom, add him already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

In my childhood I always picked Ken so when I got into Street fighter properly (SF3:3rd Strike) I went straight to ken.

Ken was perfect in 3s, everything about him was fantastic, voice actor, all his normals looked cool and his character model was great, best version of ken ever.

After learning the game with Ken and finding myself no longer in an upward struggle to win matches. The Ken v Kens started getting old. Of course I'm a big fan of shotos in general but I decided to try others and found myself loving ibuki.

There's not much I need to say, she's a fucking ninja and great fun to play.

When SF4 came around I was looking at Ken and Ibuki. Ibuki ended up not being in the game. & Ken felt horrible to play and he just generally annoyed me as everything about him was a step backwards from 3s. I'm not talking about tier positions I'm talking about how he felt to play as and aesthetics. Annoying voice actor and the character model is pretty cheesy looking. His normals look odd and worst of all, he moves sooooooo slow. All the flow chart kens made him just seem like this ****ty character in general.

When I tried Ryu I never planned to have him as a main, but he felt very much like his 3s self. He didn't have his kick move though but oddly enough, he seemed faster then ken. Where as in 3s he was slower. It was like they swapped positions.

The more I learned ryu the more I liked him, his moves and combos are just so satisfying to pull off , I love shotos in general so even basic low forward to fireball brings a smirk to my face.

I was consistently far better with him then other characters I tried. For awhile my Guile was doing well but in the end Ryu matched my play style more.

Now that Super is here and Ibuki's on the scene, I'll be damned if I don't try and get as good with her as I can. I'm already finding her really fun to play as again now that I've adjusted to the engine a bit.

Gotta learn her b&b's and advanced stuff now, and I have to learn some matchups.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm gonna main Cody for a few reasons:
    • His combo-ability is through the roof, and I'm going to explore this aspect as best as I can.
    • The knife.
    • Has a load of taunting in his moves, playstyle, etc. This is fitting for Team Taunt Commander. BINGO!
    • The knife.
    • Has decent health & stun. I suck, so this helps me to not die so fast.
    • The knife.
    • He's really easy to pick-up and play with.
    • THE KNIFE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Right there on the character select screen. Couldn't believe my luck :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Right there on the character select screen. Couldn't believe my luck :pac:

Can you do a step by step? All that is on my screen is things like Arcade Mode, Versus, etc

:o

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

For me, the character has to have a grapple type move or I just cant do anything. Preferably tank like health to make up for the fact I get hit alot too. Outta the new guys, I thought Hakan would be my new feller but I'm having alot of fun with Thawk and Guy so I really want to focus on them when I get some long free time aswell as get back into Fuerte because he is alot more fun all of a sudden!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I pick whoever's least likely to win. That makes it more awesome when they actually do pull a win from somewhere.

When I actually do wanna win, I swap Dan for Balrog. I've used him for centuries so it's just habit. I forget why I settled on him back on the Megadrive. The backstory of a game is also very important to me so I'll often lean towards characters with interesting tales to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

This stems back to SSF2 Turbo for me on the snes. Bar A Link To The Past i played it religiously. Guile was my fav (prob cos i was only 9 or 10 and he looked cool :D) but i could pull off more with ryu.

As for SF4/SSF4 i play blanka, mostly cos im crap with diagonals on my TE and cant pull of heavy combos, so mind fooking and mix-ups is the thing for me. I have a fondness for Dee-Jay and especially Adon in SSF4 so il be spending some time developing them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    With the imminent release of Super (and for those who have it already ;) ) it's time to look at character appeal.

My back story is that Street Fighter 4 is the first time I've played the series properly (and fighting games in general really) - played 2 back on PC and played a game called One Must Fall (which was essentially a SF rip off the more I think about it) but never really put time into them or learned combos / specials...

So with the release of 4, and pretty much Super, I am a blank canvas. I still haven't found a character because to be honest, for ages I was discouraged very easily - not realising that I have 20 years of catchup on some players!

So, how do you select a character (for any fighting game) - is it their style, their moveset, their options, their tier, the fact that you can get through their trials without hurling a controller? Tell me your story....and, if it applies, with Super how will you test alternative characters or may you switch to a new character that was already in the series?

Honestly, I'm very much the same. I like to switch around between characters. I mainly look for how varied a character's moveset (for mixup) is and their speed (startup frames and recovery time). I haven't settled on a main yet as I feel equal with 5 characters (Akuma, Vega, Balrog, Ryu and Guile) whom I like to use each of their individual characteristics. With Vega and Balrog, I rarely use combos. With Balrog, I mainly keep distance and wait for opportunities (except for a some handy ultra setups one (cr.LPx2, cr.LK -> Headbutt / cr.MK -> Headbutt / Dash Overhead, cr. LK, Headbutt / EX Dash Upper (to pierce through fireballs), cr. LP, cr.LK Headbutt (each ending with the ultra). Vega, very much the same again, keep my distance and try baiting the opponent to do SRKs (e.g.: Going for the Flying Barcelona and sticking to the wall). With the others, I definitely like to keep close and nail damage through combos. I think for most people, its about who they just like. Even though I see myself that I'm balanced over the five characters, I like Akuma the most (based on the story of the games (other shotos haven't transcended humanity! because I know this sounds ridiculous but Akuma would symbolise the epitome of Ansatsuken (fighting style of shotos) so I'd make a stronger effort to become better with him than I would others. Also, in my opinion, out of all the characters, Akuma is the best all round fighter (Can fight well long range with air fireballs, good mixup at close range with the demon flip and is devastating at close range because of his combos). I like using Balrog because he's hard to punish and has strong attacks and Vega, well, because I rarely see anyone using him so I thought I'd see what he's like (I'd probably define him as my main in HDR now).

In regards to other fighters, I suppose like Vega and Balrog, I like to use characters who have powerful singular attacks so in a game like VF, I'd use Akira and Tekken, Jin. I suppose I chose Akira as well because I like the look of his combos and with Jin (yes, I'll admit) looks cool. I still appreciate the quick fighters in each of those games (e.g.: Lau, Kage / Law, Hwoarang etc.) but I prefer learning powerful characters. The only other serious fighter I play that I'd prefer using quick fighters over powerful ones would have to be Soul Calibur (Mitsurugi and Kilik).

But definitely Akuma because he's one bad mutha fcka! OW!

bo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I actually like being good with every character to a reasonable degree.

In Smash Bros Melee, I can pretty safely say I can beat most people with every character.

In my Street Fighter Megadrive days, victory didn't always go to the strong, or the swift, but often to whomever got the turbo controller, picked E.Honda and held hard punch while pressing forward.

Seriously though, I don't even know who I main in SF. Generally I like to play with everyone, and then default to whatever character's playstyle I like the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Generally I have a tendancy to play as female characters in any games I play, so I always check out the Y-Chromosomally challenged characters first. It also helps that I much prefer fast characters and women usually own that turf in fighters. My final preference is to go for a not commonly used character or someone with odd quirks, I get bored watching the same match over and over. And I'll admit, I get a certain amount of pleasure in beating 'high' level guys with 'low' levels - not that it happens often, but y'know, a guy can dream =D

Generally I'll stick with whoever I check out in my first sitting, but occasionally I'll branch out into the complete opposites of my standard comfort zone. In Soul Calibur I started with Sophitia, Talim and Tira in each game they were introduced in, but ended up using Nightmare and Astaroth more. In Street Fighter 3 I started with Ibuki but now use Alex and in Smash Bros I started with Samus but moved onto Bowser.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

I like psycho crushers.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fake_roogle

blag wrote: »
    I like psycho crushers.

psycho power obviously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

I did not find Zangief. Zangief found me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

mr_kyle wrote: »
    I did not find Zangief. Zangief found me.

In Soviet Russia, character finds you!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

In Soviet Russia, character finds you!

My pun exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Back in the day on the Snes, I didn't really have the skill and patience to learn complex moves. Also didn't help I had a brother who liked to make his own rules on the fly so that he'd win ad then make me play football ( a reason I hate sports now ) so yes, I used E. Honda and spammed the punch move, it was all I knew. :rolleyes:

Fast forward to about 2005 and one of the games my brother had gotten off a friend for his xbox was Street fighter Collection ( It had HSF2 and 3s along with the SF2 movie ) at which point, I eventually started playing it again, only this time, I had enough patience to get somewhat decent with Ryu and Ken and basically any other characters that didn't require a charge attack. As we didn't have live back then, I didn't have anyone to play with.

With SFIV came out, my brother got it off a friend for his Xbox360 and seeing that was hardly around AND I now had Xbox Live myself, I was finally able to go online. As a result of me playing with HSF2 and 3s in the recent past, I went straight for Ken.

I got my ass kicked a lot in those early days, especially when the tournament DLC came out, I persisted and did OK but then I stopped playing. Don't why, I just did.

I got SSFIV as a day one purchase and got myself back on Xbox live. Knowing I'd be rusty, I messed around with Ken again for a while before bringing myself online. Got my ass kicked a lot that night, realizing tactics that worked for me in SFIV mightn't have carried over so well into SSFIV.

I didn't plan on maining on Juri, intending to stick with Ken until I saw her in action online. Something about the way she plays appealed to me so I started learning her myself.

Its probably a good thing with Juri being a completely new character, that everyone who is playing as / against her are in the same boat, we all still learning about her. I only learned how to pull off her flying kick today in training mode and still can't do it within normal gameplay yet.

So for SSFIV, Juri is my main, with Ken / Ryu as backup. I'm going to consider learning Dudley and a weaker character just for variety and to add an element of surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

I have a habit of getting bored of characters very quickly. I started SFIV with Honda, my old HDR main, but I dropped him, felt there was little to his playstyle, so I switched to Zangief. Never got properly good with Gief, SPD's only, never learned hit confirms into EX Green Hand or Option Selects.

Then after a month of trying random characters I settled for Rufus, and got pretty good with him, but dive kicks til the cows came home got kinda boring (although fun at first) and couldn't have been arsed learning his s.lk - s.hp 1-frame link. So my last character for SFIV was Sakura. The only character I found fun in that game, for her crazy EX Tatsu mixups and easy hit confirms. But she sucks so I dropped her when Super came out.

For Super I chose Cody. Remember the days when I was a clueless little boy and thought Cody was so cool with the knife and the tornado's flying from his fist in Alpha 3. Knew he would be my main as soon as he was confirmed back in November or something. I'm also looking into Dudley just for his insane overhead.

So basically choose the guy with the knife.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

GorySnake wrote: »
    I have a habit of getting bored of characters very quickly. I started SFIV with Honda, my old HDR main, but I dropped him, felt there was little to his playstyle,
    ... I'm watching you :mad:

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Well, for SF4 what happened was I spent some time with all the characters and see which ones felt the most natural to me.

If memory is correct there was initially 5 or six characters who interested me-

Ryu (because I instantly could play with him)
    Sakura (liked her rush down game)
    Gouken (liked his palm/ hp hadoken mind games)
    Chun Li (had a soft spot since alpha)
    Vega (my old champ edition main)
    and of course Guile, who I liked for similar reasons to Ryu- I could instantly use him, and (as anyone who played me for the first six months would know) I loved abusing air throw, and Guile's boom pressure game meant I could use it alot.

Super's changed Guile now and I love it. I can advance, play rushdown with him. AJ, my housemate Ryu, lives in fear of his new backhand, you can do it on reaction after landing a boom now as well which is great. Hurricane shuts down fireball games and is nice and quick.

Yet under it all he's still Guile, and at a seconds notice I can revert to hyper turtle mode. He feels like a complete character with options and despite others in Super interesting me (Ibuki and Dudley instantly felt natural to me) I don't see me doing anything but booming my way to victory.

Oh and the sun glasses. Slow boom chip victory sunglasses FTW.

Yeh, next time you hit me with that, I'm just gonna backhand you.

You were warned!

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    ... I'm watching you :mad:

;)

Haha, then I found out about the piano method for Hundred Hands and could not have been bothered learning that. Saw a video of a Gen player (Jibbo?) and his fingers were cut from doing the slide method, I dont think I'll bleed to learn a character!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

There's LOTS of different ways to Piano! Gen's are much harder to do, but way more satisfying when you pull em off. My stupid amount of time spent playing RB contributed to piano-ing. I don't slide it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

GorySnake wrote:
    So basically choose the guy with the knife.
    ^ This.

Advertisement