Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blisters

• 28-04-2010 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi,
    Just wondering what everyone does to prevent blisters? I keep getting them!
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Don't really have any prevention methods myself, but once I have them a satisfying session bursting them, and then I use Compeed plasters over them. Compeed generally stay on for long enough for them to heal mostly for me and I then hardly notice the blister is there with them on. Do not bother with the Scholl plasters though as they are worse than useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Just wearing proper running socks fixed any blister problems I had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

i use the 10000mile socks ,havent had any blistersworth boastin about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

where do you get the blisters:

blister lesson 101: to get blisters you need 3 things
    1. heat
    2. moisture
    3. friction
    eliminate even one of these and you won't get blisters.
    1. ventilated shoes and not running in the sahara will help with this but it's the most difficult to eliminate completely as your feet are already quite warm and running makes them more so
    2. wicking socks (and ventilation again) will help with this. Socks a personal thing. I hate the 1000 miles ones mentioned but love toesocks and hilly thin skins. try a few types to see what works for you.
    3. proper fit is the key to avoiding friction. get your trainers properly fitted by someone who knows what they are talking about (not the work experience guy on Saturdays in lifestyle sports). learn how to lace your shoes for running. Many of us have dodgy feet (in my case second toe longer than big toe), buy your shoes accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

A couple of weeks back, I posted what I call 'the definitive blister advice' on this thread.

• Advertisement

I have a really brilliant (brilliant in an awful way) picture of a blister if anyone wants to see it. Comes complete with it's own "will put you off your dinner" type warning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

@Hunnymonster: Nooooooooo. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

No thanks! I'm actually starving and looking forward to MY dinner!! :p

...just 'cause YOU don't want to make dinner for Zuppylurk! :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭kuro2k

I use these, expensive but last forever and I haven't had a blister in years!http://www.feetlife.co.uk/Buy-Online/Gel-Boot-Bumper-by-Silipos/562

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

You have to post that pic now.

• Advertisement

will post link and your stomach contents are your own business after that
    http://www.rwforumites.co.uk/Blister%20Pic.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

I don't get blisters much, but I did go through a phase of getting really hot patches on the soles of my feet, which threatened to turn into fried-egg size blisters. They came on when I got a new pair of (otherwise fine-fitting) runners.
    I tried compeed, I tried double socks (1000mile or the just-as-good and much cheaper ones from startfitness.co.uk), I tried single socks... in the heel of the hunt, what fixed it for me was to replace the stock insoles with fancy new ones from Amphibian King. Changed the shape of the footbed a wee bit (I guess), added a few grams of weight, but no more problems.

Hope you get yours sussed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭Paddyontherun

There have been numerous threads on this issue in the past. I still think the metholated spirits on the vulnerable areas is yer only man. I always have a bottle in the kid bag and haven't had a problem for years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭R.Shackleford

ultraman1 wrote: »
    i use the 10000mile socks ,havent had any blistersworth boastin about

+1 Those socks are great,so simple yet so effective!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 alive

Thanks for all the replies.
    I tend to get the blisters on the arch of my foot and along the tips of my toes. Have tried a few different socks and the lidl or aldi ones seem ok most of the time. I might try out some of those 1,000 mile ones..
    I just got new runners at Christmas, do I have to get new ones if it's the shape of my shoes giving me blisters?

toes : usually shoes are the wrong size or not tightly enough laced
    arch: usually some rubbing where the insole meets the shoe. Is there a rough edge?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 alive

I tend to lace them quite loosely, maybe that's the problem? Don't think there's a rough edge on the insole. I alternate between two pairs of runners and get the blisters along the arch regardless of which pair I wear..

I get blisters at the arches whenever I try ascis (you'd think I would learn). The shape of their last just doesn't suit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭rdunne

toes : usually shoes are the wrong size or not tightly enough laced
    ?

I have had blisters the last few weeks and monday felt a bit of movement on the ball of my foot(where i was getting blisters.) i pulled it all tighter and now two runs this week and no problems and the skin is healing nicely

I was told before to leave this front of the shoe loose ..

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

I used to get awful blisters but "cured" it by wearing double socks and/or vaseline on the sole of your foot, try not to get your feet wet but the vaseline helps with the the wet friction, now I haven`t had any blisters in 2/3 years so I think my feet just get used to it because they are still soft as a baby`s bum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Tau

I get blisters at the arches whenever I try ascis (you'd think I would learn). The shape of their last just doesn't suit me.

I have started getting blisters on my arches after switching to asics (although they're absolutely brilliant otherwise!)

Is there something similar to them without the arch issue that people would recommend?

When picking up some Compeed blister plasters in Tesco the other week in anticipation of getting lots on my feet from this weekends marathon I spotted an Anit-Blister Stick thing by them as well. Nothing to loose so figured I'd take that as well and give it a go.

Now it's hardly scientific testing, but I used the stick in the places where I always get blisters once going much further than a half distance. Today, just the one blister in a spot that I'd missed with the stick. Now could have been any number of reasons why I didn't get any blisters, but that counts as a good result to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

I've always got a blister on my inside left Arch... doesnt seem to matter what shoe I wear. Currently on Asic 17. I think its the branded plastic on the outside of the shoe that causes the wear. I use Nike Dry Fit socks with LOADS of body glide on the arch and they definitely helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Another vote here for the 1000 mile socks....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I've used that compeed stick too, again not sure how scientific it is but I haven't got any blisters using it.

Concerning the compeed plasters, on another thread some months ago I mentioned I was using a certain type of dressing for a cut I had whoms name escapes me know which are basically giant compeeds, they're the same thing but much cheaper. I'll have a search for it and post the link.

Edit; They're called hydrocolloid dressings, the post is in the off topic thread but won't open for me on mobile, tells me the thread is closed. A search of hydrocolloid and my name will bring it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

I go through phases of getting blisters on the arches of my feet. Now I tape them up with a bit of zinc oxide tape when theyre getting tender and never have any problems, and it cushions and keeps everything in place if I've already gotten a blister. Way cheaper than compeede plasters too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

will post link and your stomach contents are your own business after that
    http://www.rwforumites.co.uk/Blister%20Pic.htm

Mother of God!! :eek::eek:

Advertisement