Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obscure/Forgotten fighting games.

Options
  • 05-04-2010 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

Thought this might be a laugh and rekindle some old memories.

Snes:

Ranma 1/2. Some cool characters but extremely unbalanced and limited.

Tuff e nuff. A pretty good and under rated fighter. Nice character design.

Turtles tournament fighter. Considered a serious rival to SF2T when it first came out on Snes. The MD version is completely different.

Megadrive:

Eternal champions. Like Turtles on the snes this was considered a real rival to SF2 at the time. Great story and characters. Had a less popular sequel on the Mega CD.

PS1.

Toshinden series:

Came out around the same time as Tekken and was the first wave to 3-D fighters. Spawned four sequels but it's mainly remembered for it's blond dominatrix who uses a cat o' nines as a weapon.:cool:

Bloody roar.

Another early 3-D fighter. It's gimmick being able to transform your fighter into a specific beast. Pretty good.

Kensei:Sacred fist.

I liked this. It tried to follow Virtua Fighter and be realistic. I liked the character design (Real martial artists.:eek:) and backgrounds. A nice looking game for it's time.

Heavens gate:

A really weird name for a fighting game. It's a pretty weird game in general. Lots of monsters and Japanese school girls battling it out across weird locations. Did'nt play great.

N64

The N64 started the trend of Nintendo consoles being starved of fighting games. One good one was Fighters destiny. You score similiar to a Judo match. Pretty under rated.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Im trying to find an early meagdrive one.

Predates SF2 SCE and eternal champions.

It was 1 character in single player and had EXP in it.

The main character looked like Ryu only in grey.

Can't for the life of me remember.

Bloody Roar rocked!!!

Oh and you forgot

IK+!!!!!!1!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

What was the turtles fighting game that was on the mega drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Oh and you forgot

IK+!!!!!!1!!!

International Karate? There's a few more I forgot. There was a really weird one for the snes. The story is based on a tournament,in modern times,to decide who becomes leader of a Japanese clan. There's a young girl who transforms into an old hag. I think it was called "Bastard".
    Another Snes game was Weaponlord. It tried to be Barbarian version of Samurai Shodown but failed.

A good few on the Saturn too. Fighting Vipers and some modern weapons game set in the Bronx. And there was a fighting game featuring Golden Axe charaters.

Sisko wrote: »

I think it was called the same name but was completely different. There was a turtles fighting game for the nes too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sisko wrote: »

Turtles tournament fighters and it was absolute gash.

Toshinden was another load of arse but it looked damn impressive when the PS1 launched.

Eveyone forgets the Data East games Fighters Destiny and the Neo Geo beat'em up they did 'Double Dragon' which was a one on one fighter not a scrolling fighter like the original. You could pull of some ridiculous combos in both games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Touki Denshou: Angel Eyes

Notable for three things:

1. The mix of hand-drawn and Killer Instinct-style CGI sprites
    2. The huge amount of 100% combos
    3. Check out Mysterious Power's win pose - it's no surprise that this is from the people who would later go on to make the Dead or Alive games.

In a game wit so many female fighters with bouncy boobs for the obvious pleasure of male gamers I'm rather worried to see the very young female fighter using paedo bear as a weapon.:confused::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

A couple of nice games in that list that never got the decent follow-ups they deserved.

Especially Eternal Champions, they designed a bunch of really cool characters with a pretty good backstory for a fighting game and an all round nice atmosphere... then they make a garbage sequel throwing all that out the window and turning it into a pathetic MK imitator full of joke characters, palette swaps and ridiculously OTT and incredibly juvenile fatalities. Needless to say, I raged.

Bloody Roar was promising and had a nice gimmick (IMMA FUKKEN BIG ANIMALLLLLL RAWR) but got a bit run into the ground later.

The Snes Turtles FG was really good, very quick and smooth gameplay for its time (SF2 itself is the only game that compared). Plus you got to be Shredder!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Inb4 the Breaker's Revenge love-fest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah, Weaponlord. That game was way ahead of it's time. It was the first fighting game with a parry system just like third strikes and was also built around online play and could be played online as well with the proper SNES set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Inb4 the Breaker's Revenge love-fest.

How dare you call breakers obscure/forgotten!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

@Retro; dooood, didn't know Weaponlord was set for online play at all! Another one was that some special moves could only be performed using negative edge.

Well I only learnt about it from an article about it on hardcore gaming 101 which had a developer interview. I didn't even know that the SNES had an online play adapter either until I read that article.

People keep forgetting about the best fighting game that never was. It could have been a third strike beater. Tatoo Assassins!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Fighting Vipers is one I'd stick down there. I never really liked what I played of it that much, but it always felt like there was greatness in there I just wasn't getting.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Eveyone forgets the Data East games Fighters Destiny and the Neo Geo beat'em up they did 'Double Dragon' which was a one on one fighter not a scrolling fighter like the original. You could pull of some ridiculous combos in both games.

Considering the legal case with capcom and what it meant for the video game industry, it's a wonder you don't hear more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

Not many people seem to mention Red Earth/Warzard and Jo Jo's Bizarre adventure.....
    both brilliant CPSIII games!

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

It was 1 character in single player and had EXP in it.

The main character looked like Ryu only in grey.

Can't for the life of me remember.

Used to rent it in that video place in kilbarrack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DecentBee

Golden Axe: The Duel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Reanimemmett

Tobal No. 1 on the PS1. Primal Rage as well.

DecentBee wrote: »
    Golden Axe: The Duel.

!!!

For years of my youth I wanted a Saturn just for that.

Never happened though.

Golden Axe: The Duel is a poor mans samurai showdown, you didn't miss out on much.

Tobal no. 1 and especially Tobal no. 2 are two of the most underrated fighters ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

Kabuki warriors....

But you can be Death Adder! What more could a 9-year-old want?

joconnell wrote: »
    Used to rent it in that video place in kilbarrack.

Check out Seth at 1:08.

Advertisement