Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost plus sofa sale delivery charge??

Options
  • 28-03-2010 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭

cost plus sofas doing big tv and paper ads for sofas at the moment,but when you talk to them any of the nice reduced sofas at the 500 mark have to wait til themiddle of june for them while they keep advertising them,handy money in their account for 3 months while you wait(land of leather?),so their biggest sale ever comprises of more expensive ones with 50 euros of, that you have to wait to bring down from dublin to their shops which they want to charge the customer 30e for and then charge 75e to deliver it to your home,no problem with home delivery but looking to paddytax you for bringing it to their store is laughable,slow to tell you about this until paying as well,hoping you will just roll over,dont pay this 30e people,somebody shout stop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

Delivery does not come free from any retailer. I've paid €142 for a flat pack wardrobe from Ikea and mind you on the day of the delivery my wife was on her own, delivery guys knocked on the door and told her you have a delivery just sign here and to her surprise they just left it outside and when she asked them to put it in the hallway at least they told her we deliver only to the door.

I've bought from Cost Plus sofas and I did pay €75 BUT they unwrapped the sofa in front of me, put it in the room that I wanted, they put the feet on and took all the wrapping with them and at the point of sale they told me if I want to collect I can and obviously it's free of charge.

To deliver furniture you have at least two guys to pay and not to mention the fuel.
    I was very satisfied with their service and we went back and bought beds from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

tipptom Can you please use some paragraphs and sentence structure in your post. Lack of structure makes it quite hard to read and comprehend.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭robo

AFAIK there is no consumer issue if the company tell you at the time of purchase about the delivery charge. I have been amused at the different companies that charge it and those that don't.
    But I have to say that any furniture delivered to my place has been put into the room that I requested them to be in. I was always aware of the charges at point of sale. I guess when you hear about sales, you should ask before browsing - how much do you charge for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

i did say no problem with 75 delivery charge,its when they want money from before point of sale,where does it stop.its like going in to a branch of tescos and and going to the counter with a pint of milk thats marked at 1.65 and then the person on the counter telling you there is an extra 30c for delivery from distribution centre.

point noted about my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I don't get your issue. Are you saying they only offer delivery, no option to collect yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

tipptom wrote: »
    i did say no problem with 75 delivery charge,its when they want money from before point of sale,where does it stop.its like going in to a branch of tescos and and going to the counter with a pint of milk thats marked at 1.65 and then the person on the counter telling you there is an extra 30c for delivery from distribution centre.
    That really depends on their policy though. If Tesco Blanchardstown don't normally carry that brand/type of milk and have to order it from Tesco Dundrum, then they may charge you on that basis.

However, usually there's a flat charge for a delivery of a piece of furniture, and sometimes there's a surcharge for a long-distance delivery.

Having to pay the company for a standard piece of furniture to be delivered to their shop doesn't sound right.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭mixer101

I think what he's saying is when you go in to buy the advertised furniture that there's a 3 month 'wait' to get it.
    However, while you're there at the shop you might consider buying another (more expensive) sofa only to be told they 'have to bring it down from Dublin' for which privelege they charge you €30...just to get it for you!!...
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭BennyBlanko

Yeah, we gotta be carefull out there.....

I don't put down deposits on anything and I don't pay delivery charges and when you tell some co's this from the outset you invariably get it for free.

My mantra is " I don't pay extra fee's, CC charges, delivery, deposits,Admin fee's".

Seems to be a sensibly named company if that is the issue.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

bought a sofa set from them and had to wait 3 months due to non arrival of the ship from china but other than that delivery was 30euro and it was installed and assembled in the room i wanted when they came. the driver and helper did grumble on about them expanding way too quickly and not paying their staff overtime etc.....

• Advertisement

the internal logistics should be their concern and added to their main price of sale,i phoned them the day before about delivery prices and was asked where i was and they said it would be 75,no problem,nothing about delivery fee to limerick until i drove 30 miles there and eventually they came out with it when i was trying to make sure it was actually in dublin.
    far as im concerned they are trying to charge twice for delivery,and one of those is not even being delivered to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Cost Plus Sofas

At Cost Plus Sofas, our catchphrase is 'Designer Sofas at discount prices' and that is what we work hard to do. We keep our costs low so we can pass on the savings to our customers, which leads to more sales.

For delivery charges, we pass on what it actually costs us to make the delivery. There is no profit. As you mention, Cost Plus charge between about 50e and 75e wheareas Ikea charged you 145e for a wardrobe. We also deliver the furniture to your room of choice and make sure the product is fully unwrapped, assembled etc.

In summary, we do not include the delivery charge in the price of the product as this would need to be paid for somewhere in a higher price for the sofas, but try to be fair about the amount we charge and give a top quality delivery service as that is the last point of contact we have with our customers and we consider customer recommendation to be the lifeblood of the business and a lot of the company focus is on having happy customers.

On waiting times, while occasionally people may have to wait up till 3 months due to over-demand on a product, for products in adverts average delivery speeds are within 2-3 weeks.

Welcome to boards, cost plus sofas. Nice of you to drop in. Don't forget to post boardsers exclusive offers. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Hi Cost Plus Sofas. Great that you have registered to help people with any issues they may have.
    I'm curious about this 30 charge that tipptom is talking about :
    that you have to wait to bring down from dublin to their shops which they want to charge the customer 30e for and then charge 75e to deliver it to your home

Can you calirfy about the 30 Euro charge that tipptom is talking about ?

I ask, as I live beside Mullingar, and was in Cost Plus Sofas yesterday looking at 2+1+1 leather recliners.
    Anyhoo - there are small signs up everywhere saying it's 75 Euro for delivery, but would I have to pay 30 + 75 (like what tipptom is saying) or just the 75 on top of the displayed price of the sofas/chairs ?

Hi,

It is 75e for delivery normally. There are a few exceptions, but in 99% of cases as far as I know it is 75e.

There is an exception this weekend, in that we are advertising on the TV "buy the room, get the TV" with a room with two sofas, tables and a 42" Philips HD TV from 1,299e. The TV is delivered by D.I.D. and there may be an extra delivery charge from our partners at D.I.D, I am really not 100% sure but all will be clarified in your Cost Plus store when you buy. There is a great team in your Mullingar store headed up by Gary.

In general tho' it is 75e. for delivery including delivery to the room of your choice, unwrapping of the goods etc.

On the offers, I need to clarify if we are allowed to offer specials via Boards.ie to Boardsers...if we can we will, just want to clarify first with Boards and then will see what we can do!

Happy Easter!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@Cost Plus Sofas

Thank you for taking the time to register on Boards and answer questions. However, as you are a commercial representative, I would ask you to contact the admins of Boards (hello@boards.ie). They will help you understand the requirements of commercial representatives on boards.

Regards,

dudara

Hi Dudara,

Thanks, will do. It's our first day today on boards.ie and look forward to learning how to do this, will do.

Thanks for the advice.

thanks for replying cost plus sofas which is a lot more than a lot of them will do,still confused about double delivery charge and i have no problem with your descriptions of your sofa but can you really say faux leather sofas from china are designer sofas.

let us know deadlock what they say in mullingar as they told me in limerick this charge is on anything,seems this charge is a grey area that they try to spin away from.

All questions noted...

On the designer sofas question. We do have a wide range of sofas to suit all pockets. There are a range of materials from faux leather, to soft category 45 leathers to semi-anilines and on the fabric side from microfibres to beautiful woven fabrics.

You are right, that for some of cheapest sofas, that people might put in rented accomodation, you would be hard pressed to describe these as designer-ish. Same time, almost all Cost Plus Sofas are produced to our own designs and our in-house Sofa Designer works hard to keep us at the leading edge of all trends. So, we were one of the first in Ireland to focus a few years ago on two tone models, now widespread. Also corner groups, now widespread and we have in the pipeline a lot of other exciting new bits that we again will be the first to bring to Ireland. In Cost Plus Sofas stores we often get the comments "you do not see the same sofas in Cost Plus Sofas that you see everywhere else in Ireland". This is because we are always on looking out for the latest trends and styles internationally to bring here, so that we can offer something unique to people.

In short, we try hard at all price levels to offer a stylish product, somewhat more stylish than is available elsewhere - as above...this is the feedback we get from our customers...if you see for yourself, you may agree!

On the delivery charges question. To the best of my knowledge if you are getting sofas and tables from Cost Plus, the delivery charge is 75e in about 99% of cases. I will double check all on Tuesday/ Wednesday with my colleagues but to the best of my knowledge there is no 75 + 30 = 105e delivery charge. Will double check and confirm.

• Advertisement

thanks for the reply cost plus sofas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

We went shopping for a suite last weekend. We tried cost plus sofas but ended up spending the same money in a shop in Palmerstown who deliver for free. 75 for delivery? Smells like it is straight from the Michael O'Leary school of profiteering...

Glad you found a suite you liked.

The 75e is what it costs to deliver the suite, with a two man crew, unpacking the suite, fixing legs and ensuring all is good with it. As another person has pointed out in this thread, Ikea seem to be charging 145e, so Cost Plus is not trying to be silly about it.

There are people who offer free delivery. In all cases, this cost has to be paid for somewhere, normally in the price of the sofa. At Cost Plus we try to make sure that our sofas are superb value and then charge a fair amount for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭thebiglad

My mantra is " I don't pay extra fee's, CC charges, delivery, deposits,Admin fee's".

So you don't book flights/holidays or attend concerts etc then?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Delivery chargess..... These have always been a contentious issue. The way i always figured it is you pay for it no matter what.... If you are not charged its in there costs and if you are charged then you know...

The problem with them is sometimes I have said "i will collect" and I am told "You cant" so the way I figure is this is not a charge that can be avoided so it should be included in the actual price and so helping you decide better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

€75 is quite a bit for delivery. I paid Des Kelly €50 and for that they set up the 3+2 suite in the room as requested, and even took the old one out and the lads were good enough to drop it across the road to a neighbour whom I was giving it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

€75 is quite a bit for delivery. I paid Des Kelly €50 and for that they set up the 3+2 suite in the room as requested, and even took the old one out and the lads were good enough to drop it across the road to a neighbour whom I was giving it to.

Weird you say that ... twas 75 euros here in the Netherlands also for Delivery cost. Although this was a flat fee for a couch + Coffee table + TV Unit.

Tisn't just a ripoff republic thing then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I was in the Mullingar store on the way home from work this evening.

It's 75e for delivery to your house

It's 30e for delivery to the store if you intend to pick it up there

There is no 75 + 30 charge, so I think the shop you dealt with didn't explain it right.

My only issue is really with the 30e delivery to the store cost, as it's essentially impossible to buy the sofa at the advertised price, as you must pay at least another 30e to get it.

I agree & I'm sure that is in violation of advertising standards. As far as I know a product must be available at the price advertised unless it is an error. This goes beyond the invitation to treat.

Only my opinion though, which may be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

ch750536 wrote: »
    I agree & I'm sure that is in violation of advertising standards. As far as I know a product must be available at the price advertised unless it is an error. This goes beyond the invitation to treat.

Only my opinion though, which may be wrong.

Your not correct there... as such. If you see a sofa and its advertised for 150 euro and you go to the counter and hand in 150 euro and the assistant says there is 50 euro delivery this is legal. Perfectly.

However if the seller launches a radio campagn and says sofas from 150 euro you have the right to ask what sofa is 150 euro...

It all depends on how its advertised.

However the law does allow for pricing...ie it might say 150 on the label but that does not mean it cannot be sold for 250

Its all about offer and acceptance and what constitutes an offer and acceptence.

However.... I always thought these campagns dirty and they should advertise that collection price only....

I would be interested in seeing a challenge for delivery to the shop although this is covered under exworks delivery terms I wonder do delivery terms apply in consumables like they do with cars for example....

Advertisement