Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Eircom Study Hub"

Options
  • 27-02-2010 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a way to avail of the free grinds on eircom study hub even if you don't have eircom broadband?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Is it actually any use?? If eircom would put their money into a decent, cheaper service..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

Heard it was unbelievable in the words of my friends, now I feel that I'm missing out and really want to see how good they actually are...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

There is no chance because you need an eircom account number

Twas thinking just use someone else's account maybe if dey don't avail of the offer?

Flecktarn wrote: »
    Twas thinking just use someone else's account maybe if dey don't avail of the offer?

You have to have a certain package aswell to get it for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

I've read you also need a corresponding eircom i.p address or else it won't work

Awh bummer I knew the i.p address would ruin it... Screw it, I'll give it a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

Your only hope is to someone to upload them to Youtube or something for you. I'm way too lazy though...

Edit: actually come to think of it eircom probably aren't gonna bother with an ip check. They are too lazy/not smart enough.

Your only hope is to someone to upload them to Youtube or something for you. I'm way too lazy though...

They are most likely copyrighted material and will not be on youtube.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You'd think with all the 'thousands' returning to crappy eircom's expensive and slow service they wouldn't have to resort to that sort of thing to get customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Moshimoshi

The grinds are basically comprised of a PDF containing information found in any leaving cert textbook on the subject and a video of a teacher reading this PDF out to you. There are other services, like an audio file of the lecture and exam model answers, but definitely nothing worth upgrading to a terrible broadband service for IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

A sample page for you.

5kja6t.jpg

Has been censored as it would be illegal to show script fully.

I have Eircom broadband (****ty service!) and have been meaning to try this out, i'd imagine it would be quite useful for something like Applied Maths where there isn't a lot of other resources available to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭LL92

sorry, i know a bit off the point, but you mentioned applied maths. just wondering what do you think i could possibly get in it (grade) if i started it now?
    i'm really considering an extra subject cause i'm useless at home economics (there's a chance i'd fail it), and looking for a back-up.
    i probably wouldn't have very much time to put into it though, only a couple of hours a week, because all of my choice subjects require a lot of learning.:o

There is no point in taking up another subject if you are in sixth year at this stage because you will mess up your study timetable and you will have a massive amount of catchup work to do. It is not worth it.

LL92 wrote: »
    sorry, i know a bit off the point, but you mentioned applied maths. just wondering what do you think i could possibly get in it (grade) if i started it now?
    i'm really considering an extra subject cause i'm useless at home economics (there's a chance i'd fail it), and looking for a back-up.
    i probably wouldn't have very much time to put into it though, only a couple of hours a week, because all of my choice subjects require a lot of learning.:o

Depends, applied maths is a really short course, that said at this stage you're really pushing it. You only have to cover 6 topics out of ten, one of them you do in physics and another is basically just integration from maths with real life applications. Probably not worth it, you'd want to be really gifted in maths/physics (A1/A2 standard in both) to consider taking it up at this stage.

Can't speak for ordinary applied maths as only around 50 people in total do it each year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭LL92

nope, i'd want to be doing higher if i was going to bother at all! ya, i don't do physics either. i do higher maths, but i'm not at all fantastic at it. guess i'll just have to bury my head in the home ec book for the next few months. i'll show her! :pac::pac:
    i've already filled out that form with the levels and extra subjects, so my principal probably wouldn't be too impressed if i asked him NOW to let me pick up a subject! :rolleyes: ah well! :)
    thanks for the help!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

LL92 wrote: »
    nope, i'd want to be doing higher if i was going to bother at all! ya, i don't do physics either. i do higher maths, but i'm not at all fantastic at it. guess i'll just have to bury my head in the home ec book for the next few months. i'll show her! :pac::pac:
    i've already filled out that form with the levels and extra subjects, so my principal probably wouldn't be too impressed if i asked him NOW to let me pick up a subject! :rolleyes: ah well! :)
    thanks for the help!

If you don't do Physics, Applied Maths might be even harder than it would be for people who do. I would advise that you don't pick it up at this stage. Applied Maths is an extremely difficult subject (the questions in the book are fine, but the exam papers can be really tricky!). Not only is Applied Maths difficult to teach yourself, as all the textbooks are useless, but if you took it up at this stage, you'd be doing it at the expense of your other subjects.

Just concentrate on your other subjects and try and maximise your grade in each of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

its good but there are not as many subjects

Ya well the main reason I wanna check it is to see subjects like music, biology and economics. Which all you need to do is really study the notes for these off by heart to do well(not really music but notes for this are so scarce!).

Youtube job it is!

• Advertisement

Just set up my account there and started watching the accounting. I was pleasantly surprised, it actually seems pretty good!

LOL. I was right about Eircom. The URLs of the videos aren't encrypted so you can link them to anyone even if they don't have an account!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

LOL. I was right about Eircom. The URLs of the videos aren't encrypted so you can link them to anyone even if they don't have an account!

Well feel free to PM some my way if you can :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

This is a violation of copyright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Bradence93!

pm them my way if ya don't mind. seems like i need help after getting my mock results :(

If your "pming" anyone I think it should be me as I setup the thread!

But no worries if you can't...

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭DC09

My eircom study hub videos keep pausing

Its good if youre lazy but the actual notes the teachers use on it are ok but ya could make better ones yerself.

I dont think its any A1 ****e on there atall, could be wrong tho, it is a help though

And they didnt bother with economics:mad::mad::mad:

PM specific topics which you want eg. statics in applied maths or whatever and i'll try send them on to you. Couldn't be bothered with doing entire subjects as you have to go onto each video individually (there's at least 10 videos for each subject) and wait for it to load and get the link (being Eircom my broadband is very slow :o).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I suspect you are right, and that's not something we encourage around here.

Please don't use a public forum to offer others copyrighted material, or to request it from others.

Though eircom can't be too bothered tbh, or they would have a better system in place.

• Advertisement

Your such a funsponge!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement