Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Every Actor Makes At Least One Bad Movie

Options
  • 15-02-2010 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭

I was reading through some old threads and got to thinking about great actors (Male & Female) and some of the terrible movies they have made.

Robert De Niro - The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle

Can anyone think of a great actor who has not made a bad movie?

Maybe Jodie Foster but I'm not really a fan of Summersby

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I may be wrong but usually if a film stars Clint Eastwood, then it's worth watching!

I was also gona to say Denzel Washinton but iv heard the Book of Eli is supposed to be absolute dribble!

As for Jodie Foster, i thought contact was a poor movie.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I think christian bale has never done an awful movie to the level of De Niro or Say Sam Jackson. I know reign of fire and terminator weren't great or even good but they weren't really bad either imo

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I know he's not a great actor but I remember when John Travolta had a great run of movies with Pulp Fiction and Face Off etc...then he made The Punisher. He was just awful in that movie...and so was the movie. But his acting was just pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AndyKiely

Gene Hackman in welcome to Mooseport, I understand that it might be a retirement movie for him, but Jesus couldn't he have chosen a good movie. Pure tripe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 AudreyLOL

Benicio del Toro in The Wolfman :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I know he's not a great actor but I remember when John Travolta had a great run of movies with Pulp Fiction and Face Off etc...then he made The Punisher. He was just awful in that movie...and so was the movie. But his acting was just pants.

Did you not see Battlefield Earth?:eek:

Travolta giving an awful performance in an awful film, which was an adaptation of an awful novel. A novel that spawned an awful soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

Can't think of any bad Steven Segal movies :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Kess73 wrote: »

Travolta giving an awful performance in an awful film, which was an adaptation of an awful novel. A novel that spawned an awful soundtrack.

.....and was responsible for an awful cult religion!

Has Brice Willis done a bad movie? i mean a really sh!te one alá battlefield earth?

Uma thurman has been in some absolute sh!te.....my super ex girlfriend anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Can't think of any bad Steven Segal movies :p
    Well he set the bar low from the off, so it's tough for him to go lower. :D

edit: Bruce Willis had a small part in Chalies Angels 2, but I don't think he's been the lead in any really bad movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

John Cazale.

Frighteningly good filmography tbh.

# The Deer Hunter (1978)
    # Dog Day Afternoon (1975)
    # The Godfather: Part II (1974)
    # The Conversation (1974)
    # The Godfather (1972)

Only made 5 feature films in his career. All 5 nominated for the best picture oscar. All 5 in imdb top 250.

/thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Philip Seymour Hoffman. I haven't seen every film but if he has a big part in a movie it's, as fas as I can see, generally a really good movie.

Saying that, he has had small cameo parts in a couple of bad movies, but that's not really the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Can't believe you've all forgotten Die Hard 4.0 already!:p

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Kess73 wrote: »

LOL! Completely forgot about it...maybe i just struck if from my memory....Never saw it, but i watched Nostalgia Critic give out about it...much better! :pac::pac::pac:

tman wrote: »
    Can't believe you've all forgotten Die Hard 4.0 already!:p
    Hell, I thought that was a grand movie. Not great, but a bit of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

jaykhunter wrote: »

I think The Punisher will look good like a master piece compared to his latest movie :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sleazus

NothingMan wrote: »
    Philip Seymour Hoffman. I haven't seen every film but if he has a big part in a movie it's, as fas as I can see, generally a really good movie.

Saying that, he has had small cameo parts in a couple of bad movies, but that's not really the same.

The Boat That Rocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

What makes a movie bad?

By what yardstick is this measured?

Its purely subjective.

Just because you or I think a movie isnt anygood doesnt necessarily make it so,its just one persons opinion.

A case in point would be [Rec].Its by and large loved by critics and the movie going public and has loads of fans.I however thought it was pretty crappy.Does that make it a bad movie?No,its just my opinion.

Threads like this are pretty pointless as invariably they turn into a pissing contest when someone slates a much loved movie,gets rounded upon by the movies fans,a slanging match ensues and the thread ends up getting locked.

nedtheshed wrote: »
    What makes a movie bad?

By what yardstick is this measured?

Its purely subjective.

Just because you or I think a movie isnt anygood doesnt necessarily make it so,its just one persons opinion.

A case in point would be [Rec].Its by and large loved by critics and the movie going public and has loads of fans.I however thought it was pretty crappy.Does that make it a bad movie?No,its just my opinion.

Threads like this are pretty pointless as invariably they turn into a pissing contest when someone slates a much loved movie,gets rounded upon by the movies fans,a slanging match ensues and the thread ends up getting locked.

I think that's an unspoken assumption - but that's the joy of having a discussion. There's no point in discussing only verifiable facts. Who is going to reply to a thread entitled "[REC] is a horror film" without a hint of commentary? The only exception would be posting an update on REC, but that itself would spark further discussion.

People are contrary types - and the minority likes to be very vocal. That's why you can't have a post praising the movies that this very forum identified as the best of a given year (in the awards forum) without people flooding it with criticism.

But that's the fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭LowOdour

humanji wrote: »
    Well he set the bar low from the off, so it's tough for him to go lower. :D

edit: Bruce Willis had a small part in Chalies Angels 2, but I don't think he's been the lead in any really bad movies.

I give you Hudson Hawk and Bonfire of the Vanities

LowOdour wrote: »

And Breakfast of Champions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Sleazus wrote: »

Thats the other one i was trying to think of!

And Color of Night

The Boat That Rocked.

I liked it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Hudson Hawk wasnt great but I disagreed with the flamed panning it got at the time. It was no worse than Arnie's Last Action Hero.

*cough* Mission Impossible 3 *cough*

faceman wrote: »
    *cough* Mission Impossible 3 *cough*

MI3 was really good. Maybe the fact that it's the first one in the franchise where you're watching Tom Cruise knowing how much of a fruit loop he really is, but as an action film it was above par. Especially Hoffman as the villain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

MI3 was really good. Maybe the fact that it's the first one in the franchise where you're watching Tom Cruise knowing how much of a fruit loop he really is, but as an action film it was above par. Especially Hoffman as the villain.

MI3 was so OTT with ridiculous action, it felt like a Sci Fi film! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I reckon Arnold Schwarzenegger has never made a film I didnt like. Thats only if he is playing a major role in a film though, he's done a few bad ones where he's only a secondary character(Batman & Robin) or just a cameo(Terminator Salvation)

I reckon Arnold Schwarzenegger has never made a film I didnt like. Thats only if he is playing a major role in a film though, he's done a few bad ones where he's only a secondary character(Batman & Robin) or just a cameo(Terminator Salvation)

Kindergarten Cop & Jingle All The Way?

Plus he didn't have a cameo in Terminator Salvation, that was a CGI recreation of a younger version of him.

I didn't think these were as bad as they were made out to be. Again, not great, but not terrible.

And I never heard of this. But looking it up, I can't see how it could possibly be good. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Raekwon wrote: »
    Kindergarten Cop & Jingle All The Way?

Plus he didn't have a cameo in Terminator Salvation, that was a CGI recreation of a younger version of him.

Kindgarten Cop is a bit of a cult classic, so many memorable quotes i.e. "Who is your Daddy and what does he do?". I will give you Jingle All The Way but who in fairness has ever done a good christmas movie?

Advertisement