Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which primary school?

Options
  • 19-01-2010 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I got a place for my son at St.mochtas primary national School ,Clonsilla and in Ongar's Castaheany educate together ,Dublin 15.
    Which would be the best to choose? Please ,any info on both schools would help.As am new in the area,and have to pre enroll my kid.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Moved from Primary and Pre School.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

My daughter attended St Mochta's between ages 4 to 12 and I was very happy with the standards there.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OP, I've changed the thread title to make what you're asking a bit clearer, which hopefully will attract a few more replies for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well to you want a catholic ethos school or a multi denominational school?
    Have you looked at the classes sizes and what the code of conduct for the schools are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Noshi

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Well to you want a catholic ethos school or a multi denominational school?
    Have you looked at the classes sizes and what the code of conduct for the schools are?[/

That is what is confusing? Would there be a difference in Catholic or multi,education wise curriculum is the same.Mochtas is crowded n they don't take kids easily ,so lucky to get a place.class size ,is upto to 22 each.Code of conduct ,well one can never know that till you have a kid going.What to do? I asked people,but they praise the school their kids go to.

• Advertisement

Noshi wrote: »
    Code of conduct ,well one can never know that till you have a kid going.

The code of conduct should be available to anyone who enquires. It is important to contact both schools and to ask for any information leaflets that they may have.

janeybabe wrote: »
    The code of conduct should be available to anyone who enquires. It is important to contact both schools and to ask for any information leaflets that they may have.

Thanks.

The basic cirrculum is the same but the one in the catholic ethos school with be from a catholic slant which will pepper the subjects. Spellings were words like communion, euchrist ect for english, art was colouring a stain glass window and music is singing hyhms and there will be daily prayer in the class.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    The basic cirrculum is the same but the one in the catholic ethos school with be from a catholic slant which will pepper the subjects. Spellings were words like communion, euchrist ect for english, art was colouring a stain glass window and music is singing hyhms and there will be daily prayer in the class.

Just to contrast this, I attended a primary school with a Catholic ethos, and my Folens spelling book didn't ask me to learn how to spell words such as 'eucharist', For Art we made those bottles filled with coloured sand and clay pots and never once did we colour in a stained glass window. Once I drew a chalk picture of my teacher sitting on a chair with a bomb under it and it was put up on the wall. We did hymns when we were preparing for Communion, and those who weren't making their communion got extra tuition during that time. I'm fairly sure we had a prayer at lunchtime, but again, no one was forced to pray.

In many schools a Catholic ethos will be incorporated in terms of morals, etc. Just because a school has a Catholic ethos does not mean that it's all holy Mary and Jesus. They have certain responsibilities to the religion, sure, but to say that this peppers the subjects is incorrect. It may happen in a few schools, but in the vast majority it doesn't.

That hasn't been my experience of such schools but it is good to hear they are not all like that, but that was a fair few years ago and some schools have tightened up over the last few years on thier ethos.

Get a copy of the codes of conduct and the enrollment polices and ask about want you want to know, most schools do have a parent's guide to the circulum which they will let you look through.

• Advertisement

janeybabe wrote: »
    Just to contrast this, I attended a primary school with a Catholic ethos, and my Folens spelling book didn't ask me to learn how to spell words such as 'eucharist', For Art we made those bottles filled with coloured sand and clay pots and never once did we colour in a stained glass window. Once I drew a chalk picture of my teacher sitting on a chair with a bomb under it and it was put up on the wall. We did hymns when we were preparing for Communion, and those who weren't making their communion got extra tuition during that time. I'm fairly sure we had a prayer at lunchtime, but again, no one was forced to pray.

In many schools a Catholic ethos will be incorporated in terms of morals, etc. Just because a school has a Catholic ethos does not mean that it's all holy Mary and Jesus. They have certain responsibilities to the religion, sure, but to say that this peppers the subjects is incorrect. It may happen in a few schools,
    but in the vast majority it doesn't.

My son attended junior infant in Cork,at st .Columbas.Our religion is different ,so I exempted it.but I showed respect to the Irish religion.I let him go to church trip with class,or attend Christmas shows coz
    I wanted him to experience,as long as not being preached.all went well.he was v happy n the teachers great.no language problem etc.
    Both mochta n educate have strict conduct policies etc,class size r upto to 30 .am v confused n have to choose quick,so he starts.I font want him to be left behind .n he misses school.

My son attended junior infant in Cork,at st .Columbas.

St. Columbas is an excellent school. :)

I can't help you with the two schools in D15 because I have no experience of them but I'm sure you will get more answers tomorrow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Both these schools have good reputations so it would hard to recommend one of the other.
    I think what might swing the decision either way for you is firstly whether you want to live with the Catholic ethos and secondly, what secondary schools each one is a feeder for.

There should be no great issue with being a non-catholic attending a catholic school - as Janeybabe said, religion doesnt dominate the curriculum like it used to. however, a lot of second class and sixth class time does in my experience tend to be burned up on preparation for communion/confirmation events. Even still that may not be too big a deal for your children - they could spend the time doing extra work or getting their homework done. Besides, since they are living in a catholic country, its no harm to have some understanding of what catholicism is about and be familiar with its terminology, sacraments, etc.

On the secondary school thing, it might seem a bit far away, but before you know it you'll be trying to get them into the school that suits you best - try to find out now which secondaries both of these schools are feeders for. They might both have the same options, I dont know, but go find out now.

And as said above, contact the schools now and talk to them about your questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I was impressed by the ethos in Mochta's. My daughter is now in fifth year in secondary school and one of her best friends is a Moslem girl (who attends a different school) she met when she started in Mochta's. I remember when my daughter was making her confirmation that this girl was welcome to attend the party in the priest's garden. I would have no qualms in sending my child to Mochta's.

I am not religious by the way.

i know both r v good,but overall which would be more recognized for secondary or overall basis.
    The religion does not bother,all i want is a quality n standard education for my child

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

i know both r v good,but overall which would be more recognized for secondary or overall basis.
    The religion does not bother,all i want is a quality n standard education for my child

There's not a lot between them tbh. So, if you want a recommendation, I'd go with the Educate together school.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Note: I am involved with Carpenterstown Educate Together (though it will probably never happen) and so I have an ET bias.

One concern I have for non-Catholic students is that they are excluded from the class while the Catholic students are preparing for communion and confirmation. This can't be great for the non-Catholic students.

If both schools are equal in your view, then the advice about secondary schools is good i.e. look at what schools Mochta's and ET feed into,

Advertisement