Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF4 Trials

Options
  • 16-01-2010 11:48am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

I cant complete the normal trials. I've tried endlessly but keep failing L4 with all the chars. The moves come out but Dan usually blocks the last move in the string. Any advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

lazlo wrote: »
    I cant complete the normal trials. I've tried endlessly but keep failing L4 with all the chars. The moves come out but Dan usually blocks the last move in the string. Any advice?

Stop trying with all the characters. :)
    Pick one, and focus on building up the hits one by one. Some links in sf4 are pretty tight, they're difficult, so it does take time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

Stop trying with all the characters. :)
    Pick one, and focus on building up the hits one by one. Some links in sf4 are pretty tight, they're difficult, so it does take time.

Lol. I've gotten stuck there with 5 chars

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

(Not to sound patronising) It might be you don't understand the timing of certain links...

For instance if, say you do a medium kick into a certain special move, you don't hit medium kick, wait for it to connect, then do the special move. You hit medium kick, then begin the motion of the special move and input the action of the special move (punch kick etc) when the animation of first medium kick actually hits your opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

also, if you are attempting to complete all the characters trials I'd get Gens out of the way first.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Jim raises a good point. You may be messing up the difference between a link and a cancelled move.

• Advertisement

I have no idea what the difference between a link and a cancelled move is. Was the process that Jim just described a link or was it a cancel?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

A cancel.

A cancel is cancelling the recovery frames of a previous move straight into another move, notation xx. (generally a normal move cancelling into a special move, eg. cr.mk xx scissors kick with bison). A normal move cancelling into another normal move is rarer, and is called a target combo.

A link is landing a move fully, going through the full recovery of that move, and then doing another move after that - if the opponent is still in hitstun/blockstun from the first move when the second move becomes active, it'll combo (eg. cr. lk x 4 with bison).

ok so I'm going for a cancel in the trials then? because I have been linking np. I can do links with bison easily enough guesss I just have to work on cancelling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

It's pretty damn forgivable to get stuck - the game explains NOTHING about any of this, I played most other SFs and I still got stuck of some very simple things for ages because it turned out something had to be linked or only worked in the corner and various other technicalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Goddamn I would KILL for a tutorial mode on the level of VF4:Evo.

That game just WANTED you to become good at t!

• Advertisement
Advertisement