Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

The Big Thaw 2010

• 10-01-2010 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts..

Temperature: 1.2 °C
    Dew Point: 0.9 °C

I'm noticing a slow thaw already today. Temperature has remained above 0°C most of the day and the snow is starting to make a retreat around the edges. Have had sleety rain the last few minutes.

Anyone else experiencing a thaw?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yep. Well the snow on the car has all slid away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Dublin city and northside are thawing nicely as of this post, doesn't mean it won't freeze tonight though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

Ah I knew Once I seen The Big Freeze thread title that someone would create a thread labeled 'The big thaw' soon enough
    1.2 °C is harley a big thaw :P

I wont see any thaw in Donegal till next weekend id say, got all week too enjoy this weather, especially with -6 on thrusday night forecasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

KTRIC wrote: »
    Dublin city and northside are thawing nicely as of this post, doesn't mean it won't freeze tonight though

What are the temps there now?
    Temp here is 1.2°C still and in comparison to previous nights of -5 plus I don't think it'll drop too much. Might be surprised though. And there could well be some more snow later tonight, but how long will it stay I wonder.
    When the rain comes it won't be long going. :(

Pangea wrote: »
    1.2 °C is harley a big thaw :P

But snow and ice melting is a thaw and it will be a big one if it continues. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Bazzy

melting in tallaght main roads are all fine to drive on

Kilkenny City outskirts

Temperature actually going up here..

Temperature: 1.3 °C (Was 1.2°C for the last couple of hours.)
    Dew Point: 1.0 °C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭200motels

Starting to thaw a little down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭token56

Nothing yet.

Quick question, is this thaw likely to cause more flooding?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Aww does this mean the snow is gone?

• Advertisement

token56 wrote: »
    Nothing yet.

Quick question, is this thaw likely to cause more flooding?

I would say that the quicker the thaw the more flooding there will be. But that's kind of obvious.
    There'll probably be some flooding somewhere anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

I'm passing through this forum and thought I'd chime in. It's starting to thaw here in Wicklow.

The snow is making a run for it! Just windy at the minute with no snow/rain.

Thaw still happening.
    Temperature still rising..

Temperature: 1.4 °C
    Dew Point: 1.1 °C

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

flood? is there really that much snow mounted up?! obvious thaw underway considering how more snow last night than there's been just slid away this morning - may be over 0c but of course even a slight breeze making it feel colder than it was. u know i find it embarrassing it makes the news so much here **** i'm watching ronaldo tear around in a blizzard in Madrid's bernabeu honestly whats the big deal.. maybe it's be snowing in Angola during the African Cup of Nations? reckon i'd just die of the cold in sweden if not boredom i trust its no short-term freak occurance there.. that ice/snow was defo an experience though combined w/ the freezing fog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Mary42

1°C at the moment in southeast Dublin and the road & driveway were starting to thaw today. Its begun to rain now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭PLIIM

Swords
    Been between 3 and 4C all day.
    3C now
    Snow melting.
    Its raining now and its melting the snow as it hits it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The minute I heard that schools were to close on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I knew there could only be one outcome - a wash out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

This was posted on RTE.ie

"Met Éireann says that temperatures will fluctuate during the coming week and there will be a gradual thaw. It says 'a much more significant' thaw will occur from next Friday onwards."

Temperature now 1.5°C

Grass is starting to show through the top of the snow.:(
    The only plus is, I may get my mains water back sooner than I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Badboy1977

Can the school closures be reversed ? Say open Wednesday? . I'm anxious to get back-a teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

This was posted on RTE.ie

"Met Éireann says that temperatures will fluctuate during the coming week and there will be a gradual thaw. It says 'a much more significant' thaw will occur from next Friday onwards."
    I think the thaw will be complete by next Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

The minute I heard that schools were to close on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I knew there could only be one outcome - a wash out!

Exactly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭Elessar

Yep, the snow is melting away in Swords. Steady 3c all day. I'm more relieved than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Just back from Dublin C/C. Thawing out in the city, all over dublin area (south, etc), north wicklow (Greystones/Bray)...

Some bit of ice on the paths and roads, here and there, but you'd barely think that It was snowing at all here... :(

...I want snow again...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

good thaw around grass areas in parts of fermanagh and leitrem this afternoon, not so much so far in sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

My snow is nearly gone in wexford town!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 littlemaxi

Its practically a snow-free zone here in Kilcoole (co wicklow) has been melting steadilty all day :mad: .So glad i went to the beach yesterday to take a few snaps of the snow up to the tide line.

Been looking out the window every 10 mins since i got up today, expecting a blizzard at any moment, but think i will give up now...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

yay! i'm delighted its starting to thaw, have had 10 days of it now... just been out for a walk and roads have no ice on them at all.. just slush.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Still white as a sheet here, unless driven on a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Snowing all day in Limerick and Cork, 5cm of snow outside my front door.

Temps are up though.

Advertisement