Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone studied make-up or other courses at Portobello institute?

Options
  • 17-09-2009 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi!

I am considering doing the part time fashion theatre and media make-up course at Portobello Institute, but I don't know much about the college itself and wondered if anyone had done this course or one similar in the college? I really want to get into doing media and special effects, but it is a lot of money to part ways with for this course so if anyone had any experience or advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 koph

Hi,:)

I just came across your thread regarding Portobello Institute, I am also thinking of going to Portobello to study the Fashion Buying and Merchandising course but like you I am also unsure still as to whether or not it to go for it. It is alot of money for all the courses and therefore I want to ensure I am making the right decision like yourself. Are you living in Dublin or are you moving to Dublin especially to study the course?? It's big decision for the money you have to fork out... any advice or information would be greatly appreciated... Thanks... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SJK

Hi!

Well I went to portobello open day, the course did look brilliant, literally everything I want to learn, but it just really is a LOT of money for a 2 day a week course. Also I would have to get a new job as I would never make the 6.30 class in time as I work too far away! So weighing everything up I've decided just to try and do some other course to maybe teach me the basics and then just practice practice practice!

Are you currently working in fashion? My sister is a merchandiser but she just started out getting work experience with the merchandisers one or two days a week where she was working as a sales assistant, gained as much experience as she could and then worked her way up!Have you ever thought about going about it this way

There are ways and means of gaining skills without having to part with about €4000!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 duca

Hi guys, I have just completed the part-time makeup artistry course at Portobello Institute. I was very excited when I first saw the advertisements for this course as it just seemed perfect for what I wanted to do. I had little or no experience with regard to make-up application. The course covers both fashion and theatrical make-up but the majority of the 30 weeks was devoted to theatrical make-up which I was disappointed with. Overall, and to be completely honest, I would not recommend this course or the college. The course is very rushed and I felt we got very little feedback or help from the college. In terms of supplies the college is disastrous. Get ready to take make-up off your skin at the end of the class with wet toilet paper from the bathroom in the college. We were given shabby photocopies of notes from make-up books, most of the books I had already purchased. Portobello Institute has left me (and other students from this course) feeling completely scammed. They take your money and pump it into advertising instead of into supplies and overall course improvement. I personally cannot recommend this course or college....

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SJK

duca wrote: »
    Hi guys, I have just completed the part-time makeup artistry course at Portobello Institute. I was very excited when I first saw the advertisements for this course as it just seemed perfect for what I wanted to do. I had little or no experience with regard to make-up application. The course covers both fashion and theatrical make-up but the majority of the 30 weeks was devoted to theatrical make-up which I was disappointed with. Overall, and to be completely honest, I would not recommend this course or the college. The course is very rushed and I felt we got very little feedback or help from the college. In terms of supplies the college is disastrous. Get ready to take make-up off your skin at the end of the class with wet toilet paper from the bathroom in the college. We were given shabby photocopies of notes from make-up books, most of the books I had already purchased. Portobello Institute has left me (and other students from this course) feeling completely scammed. They take your money and pump it into advertising instead of into supplies and overall course improvement. I personally cannot recommend this course or college....

Hi, God thanks a million for this. I decided in the end not to go for the course. As much as I really really wanted to, and yeh the same as you was really excited about what the course was supposedly offering, something just kept holding me back. Its such a shame and I dont know how people can charge this amount of money to people who just want to learn and then not get your moneys worth.

Really sorry that it turned out like this,such a disappointment, I hope you gained something from the course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Helen Kitty

I did a part time course with this College almost two years ago. Although it was a completely different subject area - Special Needs Education - I had a disasterous experience aswell. The lecturer was brutal, the materials provided were brutal and the Cert i finally recieved months after finishing, was for the WRONG THING!!! they are complete scam artists, I was fobbed off with a cert in Additional Needs, when the entire course was advertised as Special Needs. It took me months to get a cert saying Special Needs, and when it arrived it was clear that it was not a full FETAC Level 5 award, but a Component Certificate. I strongly recommend that anyone reading this avoid this college at all costs, they area joke!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 HH Chick

I too had applied to do the special needs assistant course, applied 3 times over a course of 9 months and payed up each time only for them to cancle every time due to not enough numbers:mad::mad::mad: Took wks to get the deposit back!!!!
    think is i still want to a course in it but cant find anywhere that offers it in evening class's or even 2 days a wk......
    if anyone one knows of any place in the Munster regin let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 KAT555

I did a course in LA MAKE-UP ACADEMY on dame street. I loved it in there and i would recommend it to anyone who has interest in make-up and fashion. They do body paint, special effects and high fashion. I can even come back to resit any class i want its great.:)

Module 3 below is some info on the course but they do lots of different modules i think have a look at their website. www.lamakeupacademy.com

The course i did module 3
    This course is the ultimate for those seeking a career as a professional make-up artist. you will start at foundation level through to bridal & high fashion/photographic, tattoo covering, male make-up, black & white photographic. Students will then progress to make-up for high def TV and Film including straight ageing, airbrushing, special effects, prosthetics, fitting facial hair and wigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sannieannie

I have never done a course in Portobello Institute, but a friend of my did. She done the Beauty course part time and she had no problem with the course work, but she believed that the presentation of it and the practical work was very shabby:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

I did some research on their ISSA Personal Trainer course. The ISSA is an American awarding body. I discovered that a lot of people with an ISSA qualification find it difficult to get their qualifications recognised by potential employers and/or universities and colleges. A definite no-no!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 magimoo

Hi there Im interested in the Fashion buying&merchandising course in Portotbello. Does anyone have any up to date reviews or opinions? Im also looking for a partner for the 2for1 offer if anybody's thinking about doing the part-time course starting 19/10/10. Thanx :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Hey there,

Just wanted to ressurect this thread to see if there was anyone who had done the ITEC course with Portobello and what they thought of it?

It seems reasonable compared to some of the other courses, just want to make sure it's good as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

Yea also as regards the ISSA course, you can go onto the American course providers website and buy the course to do online, Portobello is merely bringing you to their premises to present the materials of a course that can be done cheaper online and is unlikely to be recognised here.

The reviews hardly justify the mass marketing they have engaged in recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nzm

magimoo wrote: »
    Hi there Im interested in the Fashion buying&merchandising course in Portotbello. Does anyone have any up to date reviews or opinions? Im also looking for a partner for the 2for1 offer if anybody's thinking about doing the part-time course starting 19/10/10. Thanx :)

hi, r u doing the fashion buying and merchandising courses..? how is it going..! i want to know , bcuz i also got plan to do this courses. i m also looking for a partner for the 2for1 offer if anybody's thinking about doing the part-time course starting 23/06/11. Thanx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jammy_dodgers

Hey guys, I know this is an old thread but I said I would add my experience to it too. I did the part time Portobello make up artistry course last year and I have to say it was the biggest waste of money I have ever spent... from the get go it was a disaster. I can't speak for the other courses but If my friends were thinking of doing make-up artistry I would strongly advise them to avoid the make-up department in portobello at all costs, and my experience with the reception and accountants hadn't been great either! I read this thread before I joined and I should have listened to duca's advice. I have never come across so many incompetent people in my life. The teachers called in sick a lot or just came up with other stupid reasons not to show up so we were put into another class that wasn't teaching what we paid for. We couldn't do our ITEC exam when we were supposed to as the teacher hadn't done her job and pre assessed us! If you still decide to do a course with Portobello, hold on to every single receipt, text and email you received from them as you will probably need it for some sort of proof at some stage! They accused me of not paying for my exams, and when I told them that they had cashed the cheque the accountant still couldnt find it as she was unaware of how many bank accounts the college had?! i had to chase them daily to sort out the issue as they withholding my results because of their bad organisation. When it was sorted I received no apology or anything! A serious joke of a college if you ask me. students beware!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Definite no no. The courses look good and interesting. But Portobello Institute are a disaster to deal with.
    I applied for a course in september, and the full fee(over €1000) has to be paid before the course starts(late october). This got cancelled due to numbers and I've been fobbed off since about my fee. I still havent got a refund. Everytime I rang, I got spoofed, "end of the month", "next week", "in the new year because a director has to sign the cheques, and they are all on christmas holidays".
    So as you can imagine, im a little annoyed. So i have gone to a solicitor, and hope to have my money back soon...

But just to warn everyone, do not go near them. Don't risk your money. I read this thread, and I would like to hear form more people about their experiences, good or bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 0001a

About two months ago I completed interior design course in Portobello.. Still waiting for certificate. It was complete waste of time and money. I wouldn't recommend this place to my enemy..
    NONONONONO......

• Registered Users Posts: 1 daddy123

What they really want is just the money yes because you have to pay all in Advance.
    The course was online with some workshop during the weekend, The tutor never answer the email.
    The people in Portobello institute from instructor and administration are the most abusive and ignorant people I have ever meet in my own life.
    I would not recommend this college even to my worst enemy...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ghees

I applied in September for a part time course , tried to contact the tutor but never returned my call . Then in mid October got a phone call to say it was cancelled due to low numbers . I emailed the account to claim my full refund of 1640 euros . No email returned so I phoned and extremely unhelpful and like other posts kept fobing me off . It's now the end of December and I was meant to receive a letter early if last week with a date if release of my refund and I still haven't received anything . I phoned today and the accountant said that it would be January by the time I get it. She said she would call me back but surprise surprise I didn't receive a call . I think it's time to get tough with these guys as they have no right to hold onto my money for 4 months. Do not go to this college as I have never experienced such unprofessional people .

• Registered Users Posts: 1 The true

The course never went on and i never got back my money, well i hope no one of you will have the same experience, but after even reading all the other comments we should avoid this college

Do not go to this college , I paid in full for a course in September €1640 . I phoned the tutor beforehand and my call was never returned . In mid October I received a phone call to say the course was cancelled due to low numbers . I emailed the account and claimed back
    My full refund . I received no email back so I phoned and I continued to get fobbed off . I was meant to receive a letter early last week with a date of my refund to be released and I still never got it . Phoned the accountant again today and she said it would be January by the time I get it . I told her that this was unacceptable and she said that she would talk to the director and get back to me today . Surprise surprise phone call not returned . Do not go to this college the staff are highly unprofessional and the college is a scamm. They have no right to hold onto someone's money for 4 months . Pleas share if you have experienced the same and your outcome .

• Advertisement

The true wrote: »
    The course never went on and i never got back my money, well i hope no one of you will have the same experience, but after even reading all the other comments we should avoid this college

Did you not get a refund ?

inmyday wrote: »
    Definite no no. The courses look good and interesting. But Portobello Institute are a disaster to deal with.
    I applied for a course in september, and the full fee(over €1000) has to be paid before the course starts(late october). This got cancelled due to numbers and I've been fobbed off since about my fee. I still havent got a refund. Everytime I rang, I got spoofed, "end of the month", "next week", "in the new year because a director has to sign the cheques, and they are all on christmas holidays".
    So as you can imagine, im a little annoyed. So i have gone to a solicitor, and hope to have my money back soon...

But just to warn everyone, do not go near them. Don't risk your money. I read this thread, and I would like to hear form more people about their experiences, good or bad.

Hi did you receive your money back ? I am in a similar position ad you were ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Make up fairy

AVOID portobello institute, over charge for what they REALLY offer, the Brouchers and advertising couldn't be further from what you get!!! Reception and all admin staff are so rude. Your lucky day is when there is toilet roll and soap in the bathrooms!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 awerq

I never had such useless tutor in my life, the teacher are extremely rude and ignorant, and at the reception are useless.
    You can really notice that what they care is money, because in this "college" they don't care about the students, they don't follow you and if you have any query just forget about it....don't do any course in this college!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Honour1925

During the interview they will avoid a lot information!!!! Yes because at the end of the Course is not meaning that you are already a tour guide! First because you need to complete a lots Tours before to be fully badge....Second you need to have the first Aid Course which will cost you at least 250 euro this is on top of the course which is already expensive.
    After doing a lots interview you realize that the agency they looking for German and French so if you are Irish or you have any another language there is not really job Out there!!! basically they don't care!! what the want is money yes is a money making racket!!!!! you will find yourself with less money and not job!!!
    Portobello institute on top of if...really bad administration very rude and ignorant, People from this college are extremely abusive!! GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU WHO DECIDE TO DO THIS COURSE AND DEAL WITH THE BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE OF THIS COLLEGE.....

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Grey_Goose

I see here almost everyone on this thread that has had dealings with Portobello Institute were treated very poorly. Does anyone think if you all get together and present your experiences with this Institute to RTE or even ring LiveLine that this situation could be aired to a wider audience. Just a suggestion. thx. I feel very sorry for all you people concerned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Lots of re-regs on this thread, so I'd take much of it with a pinch of salt.
    Making up a second or third profile to back up your allegations doesn't make them more believable.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement