Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bladerunner, what am i missing?

Options
  • 31-07-2009 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

ok nig sci fi fan and eventually got to watch bladerunner. rated the best sci fi movie ever. fair enough. watched it, did not get it at all. liked the tears in the rain bit at the end but i feel i must be missing something. anyone help :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A brain??????! :p

No seriously, wasn't there another I dont get Blade Runner thread recently?

I guess you take out of any filum what you can, I love its sound and vision, the story is frankly secondary. Its a mood piece really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Hommina hommina

snap0593135sw.jpg

Don't let the 'best sci-fi ever' thing sidetrack you from the fact that it looks and feels great - sounds like your expectations may have gotten the better of you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

I'm into Sci-fi and didn't like it either.

Then again i didn't like the godfather and apparently its one of the greatest films ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

It's one of the greatest of its genre (Godfather).

Bladerunner just had too many dark shot scenes, which kinda bugs me about films. Not saying it's not good, and in this one it adds to it, but it's just a personal dislike of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 littleemperor

feeling better, and the godfather was good but i'm not into the mafia genre

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

blade runner is one of those films that you are supposed to love , it didnt do much for me either

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**;61404328']It's one of the greatest of its genre (Godfather).

Bladerunner just had too many dark shot scenes, which kinda bugs me about films. Not saying it's not good, and in this one it adds to it, but it's just a personal dislike of mine.

Its a dystopian vision of LA polluted beyond belief, its not mean to be bright:confused:

Blade Runner is a hard watch the first time but the mood of the film is fantastic, its still one of the most influential portrayals of the future ever put on screen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

its atmospheric but crap otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Bladerunner, what am i missing?
    A Soul?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**;61404328']It's one of the greatest of its genre (Godfather).

I think those dark shot scenes are what kind of capture the beauty of the movie. It would not really have its noir stylewithout them and isnt this in its essence one of the reason why it is so loved. Sci-fi noir mmmmmmm. As for the Deckard debate and everything that comes packaged with it, many seem tobe in a rush to give it a little thought. Its unique ambiguity and the way it approaches questions of existence alone are enough to keep me coming back for more.

A little piece of trivia : The Deckard Debate is more googled than the does God exist question? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Yeah I understand that. It's part of what makes the film, hence I said it adds to it, but it's just a pet hate of mine.

Personally I prefer a film that has a good blend of light and dark scenes, with more light. I tend to watch films at night, and I don't want to be reminded it's night time. I'm watching them to forget it's late and boring lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Where as I love watching that at night, it is one of the few things which helps break my insomina when it's bad as I am bound to fall asleep when the credits roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭niall mc cann

I do rate it as one of the best sci-fi films ever, but it's a particular kind of sci-fi- it's all about identity and the self. It's phildickian roots are writ large, and that's a branch of sci-fi that's more respected than enjoyed. Guys like Dick and Gene Wolfe get great reviews, but their sales figures rarely back that up. If you're into that kind of headf**k, then you're almost guaranteed to enjoy the film, because it explores those issues intelligently and well.

I think it's age can factor against it, too... the (maybe) twist at the end is perhaps less a wow moment now than it was in the past, it's got around too much. I saw it first years after it's release, but somehow managed not to get told the twist before having seen it. I don't know if I appreciated it more or less because of that... I'd had Planet of the Apes and The Empire Strikes Back "spoiled" for me before I saw them, and liked them well enough, anyway. I don't know. I love the ideas in it. Great, crazy stuff.

Ultimately, it's quiet, brooding and makes no concession to the audience in terms of diagraming out it's ideas... As I once heard someone beautifully but uselessly say "If you like this kind of thing, this is the kind of thing you will like."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

I rate it highly.

But that's for two primary reasons:

1. I like the subject matter and the ethical questions it poses regarding technology, the future, and "human" existence.
    2. I saw it when it came out and for its time it was quite unique. It may prove dated to others who see it nearly 3 decades later. Sci-Fi is a genre where even many of the best films will be dated to later generations.

It was the first film to follow Kubrick's 2001: Space Odyssey that addressed many of the same themes. But in a much different setting which probably just dates easier. Films like Terminator, I, Robot, and A.I. were films that addressed the same territory albeit with different approaches.

Primary questions: What does it mean to be human? How did we become human? What will we become in the future?

How about this: Do you think it's possible to create an inorganic sentient being? An artificial person? One that feels? One that can develop morals and notions of right and wrong? Or would you reject that notion out of hand as fanciful? If you believe that would be impossible then give it some considered thought on why you believe it would not be possible. Frankly, many don't like to consider it too seriously because they're uncomfortable with it. So they dismiss such ideas as fictional fluff.

The brain is a great frontier in science and the speed by which scientists have been learning about it is both fascinating and scary. Similarly the advancements in nanotechnology and processing power are staggering. Underlying all brain activity is science. The proteins, the synapses, and the networks. The parts and processes of the brain are complicated to be sure but they are science. What makes you think that these processes cannot be replicated artificially? Or is there some unscientific concept you cling to ward off such ideas? Like that we have a soul? These are the questions these movies explore.

They've been able to replicate the brain messages of chimps when controlling an onscreen object manually with a control. Then they were able to translate the messages into specific commands. Eventually the chimp was able to control the figure on the screen with just thoughts! It didn't need an implant. The brain signals were sent to a wireless device placed on the chimps head. Staggering stuff. Science has already mapped the brain and knows what parts of the brain are responsible for different thoughts, feelings, and actions. There are powerful drugs (most not approved) that can activate and de-activate parts of the brain. The more powerful drugs can essentially change who you are and that's why sometimes the most powerful of them ... given to severe depression cases and suicide candidates are so controversial. Though primarily a b*tchslap against religion the film Equilibrium touches on this. Of course there are many that believe we will become part machine. Link processing technology to our brain. Possibly some dangerous roads to go down. Will we become all brain and hooked up to machinery like the alien creatures in War of the Worlds?I'd better shut up getting ever so slightly off topic here. Anyway I like well made films that aren't just fantasy but deal with real human issues and real questions about the future.

The Time to Die scene with Roy at the end is one my favourite moments in cinema history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

ok nig sci fi fan and eventually got to watch bladerunner. rated the best sci fi movie ever. fair enough. watched it, did not get it at all. liked the tears in the rain bit at the end but i feel i must be missing something. anyone help :confused:

You're obviously a replicant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭wobzilla

ok nig sci fi fan

you're black?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Just bought it today actually.

Read the book its quality and different to the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

I liked Blade Runner. I enjoyed it but it's not my favourite movie, or my favourite sci movie for that matter. IMO i think The Fifth Element is a better sci fi film. Sure Harrison Ford gives a great perfomance and bla bla bla, but I just found the whole thing a little boring. There are classic scenes and a brilliant score and wonderful screenshots but it doesn't outway substance, of which it had none.

p.s. The Godfather is sheet.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

wobzilla wrote: »
    you're black?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Funny stuff... *tear*

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Snesfan

Never watched it but its one of those movies I always wanted to see, think im going to have to get my hands on a copy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

LazyClouds wrote: »
    I liked Blade Runner. I enjoyed it but it's not my favourite movie, or my favourite sci movie for that matter. IMO i think The Fifth Element is a better sci fi film.

Does not compute, does not compuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudfhdkjfhdlfhdljfhdklfjhdlkfdkfjkdjfhdkjfhdfhkldhfjdkhfdkjhfkjdhfkjdfhkhdkfdjhkf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I really like Bladerunner, but I also find it can be a little bit slow, so I tend not to watch it too often.

Total Recall... now there's a movie I could watch every few months. :)

/The first woman who gets a fake third boob will be famous and rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Just finished watching it, no matter how much of an impartial view I tried to give it, "best sci film" ever couldnt be ignored. I enjoyed it thought it was good but I dont think I'll watch it again anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

wow...very surprised the amount of people that posted that don't get blade runner....to the OP: you are missing a truly mindblowing masterpiece of film making that has so many levels to it that if you watch it a couple of times it will change the way you think about yourself and life in a positive way.....not many films can do that.....it got me through a lot of tough times....

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

Loved it since I watched it on TV (with really poor reception) after the first "director's cut" came out. Was lucky enough to watch the real director's cut in the cinema - the Final Cut - in New York in 2007. Made a great film even more memorable. Bring more classics back to the cinema, I say.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I took me a long time to actually get around to watching Blade Runner. When i did, i absolutly loved it. Pretty much loved everything about it. Great characters, fantastic score, interesting setting. It just felt right.

Definitly glad that i saw the directors (or is it final) cut version though, as it had a much better ending.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I watched Blade Runner about 2 months ago, it was a good film but tbh I have forgotten most of it already. It just didn't make a lasting impression on me. I found parts of it boring and very slow. It looked great, had a good score and some interesting moments but it was just a good film, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

I think there's often going to be a big discrepancy in impressions between those that saw it back in the 80s and those that watch it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

karlog wrote: »
    I'm into Sci-fi and didn't like it either.

Then again i didn't like the godfather and apparently its one of the greatest films ever made.

I'd agree. But I accept my reasons for disliking both of these movies is that I'm watching them out of context. I only watched both of them in the last couple of years for the first time and neither made a lasting impression on me. Had I watched them when they where released my opinion might be different.

Bladerunner has not aged well, and when I watched it first recently the incongruities between current tech and the supposed future tech shown in this film proved to be to much of a distraction and kept breaking my ability to immerse myself. Every few minutes my mind would switch to saying "man that stuff looks old"... making me aware I was looking at a movie set from the early 80's.

Bladerunner may well have been a masterpiece upon release but for me it never will be now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

LOL how can any film maker beat that logic?

Advertisement