Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelcon has Street Fighter tournament

Options
  • 30-07-2009 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭

Link :
    Gaelcon Console Games
    Street Fighter 4
    A true successor to Street Fighter 2 has emerged at last! (All them other ones are like Highlander 2, It just didn't happen right?!) Pick your fighter, go kick ass. Best of 5-single player elimination tourney - ( Aakuma is banned in the name of fairness )

Not exactly the most thrilling description to excite the street fighter masses.

I thought I'd throw it out there as something people might be interested.
    While they might not know the game they generally run a good tournament at gaelcon.

It's 14 euro for a day ticket or 28 euro for a weekend pass but it doesn't mention any tournament fee. On the downside, no tournament fee probably means no prize pot.

I'm considering going out to it - see what the competition is like and I also have a fondness for con in general.

P.S. First post yay! I hope it meets the approval of the masses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

"Aakuma is banned in the name of fairness" - lmao, what is with these tournaments being set up by people who know nothing about the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Dude, I saw the entry for one of those forum-based online "tourneys".
    IIRC the "rules" were:
    • No throwing all the time.
    • No "cheap" tactics (obv. with no definition)
    • No abusing fireballs.
    • No counter-picking (granted this happens, but what if you ONLY main X?)
    • No overt turtling.
    • No...
    I think it went on for another 10 "rules".

*edit*
    Just to clarify -- this was for some crappy online tourney organised on Nike forums that I got linked to via SRK or w/ever.
    Their "rules" had the following:

NO CHEESING
    There will be NO cheesing allowed! I mean this and this will be strictly enforced. Shotos infinite fireballs, E. Honda sumo splash, El Fuerte Body Slam etc. If I find out (and people it's up to you to report it to me) you will be immediately disqualified. Throws are perfectly fine and NO, you can not use turbo controllers. If you guys have anything else you want me to add to this list, let me know before we kick off this tournament.

So, my post was a humorous analogy, but did NOT reflect Gael Con's "rules".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Heh, that is hilarious. Its obviously just people playing the game for the fun of it, but if its all just casual why all the rules?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Reanimemmett

Banning Akuma? Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    • No throwing all the time.
    • No "cheap" tactics (obv. with no definition)
    • No abusing fireballs.
    • No counter-picking (granted this happens, but what if you ONLY main X?)
    • No overt turtling.
    • No...
    I think it went on for another 10 "rules".

You are making that up. Please be making that up. My faith in humanity will truly be gone if somebody actually wrote that for real.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Cool the jets folks, while it may not appeal to the hardcore crowd, it will to some. GL with your competition.

Too bad if you're an overpowered casual Akuma player then. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Kirby wrote: »
    You are making that up. Please be making that up. My faith in humanity will truly be gone if somebody actually wrote that for real.

I read about that before too, think it was on srk.

bush wrote: »
    I read about that before too, think it was on srk.

I'm sure it went down really well on srk. Very understanding bunch. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

/Gaelcon online PR hat on :P

The console tournies running at Gaelcon this year are being ran by Eir-Rage.
    http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=8255165063
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=37294349804
    What is Eir-Rage the International Console Championship?
    The National Console Championship is a series of 8 competitive gaming events being run in Ireland throughout 2009. Gamers will compete against each other in events from soccer (FIFA '09) to shooting games such as Gears of War 2, Call of Duty 5 and Halo 3. From each competition two teams will qualify for a national final to be held late October/mid November.
    Altogether, each qualifier will have two events for teams of four and six events for single players.
    Where will it take place?
    The qualifing events will be held at gaming conventions around the country. These events are run by non profit societies and attract hundreds and in some cases thousands of gamers and they raise hundreds of thousands of euro each year for Irish charities. The first of these events will take place in Cork at the end of January followed by another seven events taking place in and around Dublin, Galway and Sligo.

What are the aims of the Championship?
    The decision to hold the championship came about as an attempt to address Irelands current world ranking in professional gaming. Ireland is credited with having the second highest spending per capita in the world on gaming, and yet we are languishing in 64th place in the world pro-gaming circut. When asked, Irish gamers identified that main reason behind this was the lack of oppurtunity to compete on a pro circut. A secondary reason which was identified was the inconvenience for players at having to bring along their own gaming consoles and televisions in order to compete.

We hope that with this event and its associated media exposure, we will raise the profile of Irish gaming both nationally and internationally, which will result in higher rankings for Ireland. Also, in order to carry this out, we must eliminate the need for competitors to bring their own equipment in order to take part. If there's anyway you can help with this, it would be much appreciated.
    The Time Table and Competition Games for the National Finals at Gaelcon(October 24th-26th) Have been decided

Saturday
    Fifa '09
    Streetfighter 4
    Rock Band (round 1)

Sunday
    Left 4 Dead 4 vs 4
    Blood Bowl (round 1)
    Super Smash Bros
    Rock Band round 2

Monday
    Halo 3 4 vs 4
    Mario Kart
    Blood Bowl Final Round
    Rock Band Final round

There will also be side events and competitions running throughout.

The rules for the SF4 comp which were decided via polls on bebo and facebook and which have been running all year are.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=37294349804&ref=ts#/topic.php?uid=37294349804&topic=7146
    Right these are the controller settings for the comp. No changes will be allowed so suck it up and get used to them.

Punches
    Low Punch A
    Medium Punch X
    Heavy Punch LT

Kicks
    Low Kick B
    Medium Kick Y
    Heavy Kick RT

Throw LB
    Focus Attack RB

Also AKUMA is Banned due to the stupid fast Heavy kick amongst other things!

The rules for the SOUL CALIBER 4 comp which were decided via polls on bebo and facebook and which have been running all year are.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=37294349804&ref=ts#/topic.php?uid=37294349804&topic=5859
    VERSUS SETTINGS

BATTLE COUNT: 3

BATTLE TIME: 60

ARENAS

THE FOLLOWING ARENAS MAY BE USED BY THE PLAYERS

DISTANT MARSH

HALL OF THE WARRIOR GOD

TOWER OF REMEMBRANCE- SPIRAL OF TIME

KUNPAETKU SHRINE

JYUNAKUDAL VILLA-VIRGIN SNOW

OSTRHEINSBURG CASTLE THRONE ROOM

CHARACTER RULES

BASE CHARACTERS ONLY NO CREATED CHARACTERS MAY BE USED

BANNED CHARACTERS

THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERS MAY NOT BE CHOSEN FOR COMPETITION

YODA (CAN'T BE THROWN TO BIG AN ADVANTAGE)

THE APPRENTICE (OVERPOWERED)

IVY (INFINITE COMBO ABILITY)

ALGOL (OVERPOWERED)

There is an entry fee to the tourny I will have to double check what it is and get back to you guys when I have it confirmed.

The contact for the gaelcon committee members directly invovled in running this is:
    Brian Wilson,
    Gaelcon Console Game Coordinator
    consoles@gaelcon.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

I know this isn't really meant for the hardcore players, but this just has to be said regardless; this tournament looks terribad™.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

GL with the tournament, I certainly wouldn't play with those rules (I'll reset my buttons any way I like, thank you) but I am aware it's not aimed at me.

It is the first year of it and I am sure the rules will be up for reconsideration when it's done, like I said those rules have been place from January and will be for Gaelcon, I am sure that any input or concerns you have will be taken on board by Brain if you email him.

As far as I know the rule on not customising the controllers is to keep a standard setting to stop delays in-between rounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Reanimemmett

Yeah, which is a hindrance to people who actually play the game. You probably should have asked people who know what they are doing to help out.

Again these rules have been running at all Eir-rage events from January 2009
    and were the result of polls which Eir-rage ran for gamers to have input into on facebook and bebo.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm going to do a little pre-emptive modding here.

Thaed isn't running the games, she's just here trying to answer some questions. Keep it polite.

Secondly, we should be encouraging Gaelcon as a major player in the games scene in Ireland to put on a better tournament which will attract actual fighting game players. As such, could you please keep your arguments intelligent and respectful, as I will certainly be passing them on on behalf of the forum.

Thanks.

Right.
    OTOH, banning Akuma (who is mid-high at best), Ivy (who can still be beaten), and button-f*cking-configs is completely counter-productive, as your players will NOT be playing the same game that everyone else is playing -- over the net, even!

GL to your players when they come to XGC!

They are not Gaelcon's players, Gaelcon is just hosting the Dublin Eir-Rage stage at it's 3 day convention oct 24th - 26th.
    Gaelcon which is it's 21st year, has always embraced a mix of types of gaming and has had consoles comps and lans running at the convention over the years.

There will be pick up and play slots for the consoles as well the full range is http://www.gaelcon.com/gaelcon/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16:console-games&catid=18:console-games&Itemid=16here
    Console Games

Do you and your band have what it takes to take the stage and ROCK!? We invite all to come with their screaming groupies and rocking costumes to show us that no one can thrash on stage like they can. This Rock Band competition will be held on the stage in the main con hall on Sunday afternoon.

All contestants will be judged by a panel who will judge songs based on: Costume (especially if it ties into your song and band). Stage performance (such as jumping around, playing your guitar behind your head and getting the audience singing along with you). Difficulty level and complexity of your chosen song will also be a factor. Reports are that Brian is currently hunting to see how much of the Rock Band and Rock Band 2 content (and DLC) he can get. A full list of tracks to chose from will bepublished as soon as possible. I can be reached at consoles@gaelcon.com This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Old vs. New: Duck Hunt
    Participating in this event may take some of you back. We have a copy of the 1984 NES classic for you to test your aim on. But maybe that old gun just doesn't cut it any more, can you score higher on Ultimate Duck Hunt for the Wii?

Tetris
    Another of our participation events. All weekend you will be able to try and get the highest score for Tetris. The highest score will earn points for their team and show that they truly are the puzzle master.

Main Stage Sunday
    Do you and your band have what it takes to take the stage and ROCK!? We invite all to come with their screaming groupies and rocking costumes to show us that no one can thrash on stage like they can. This Rock Band competition will be held on the stage in the main con hall on Sunday afternoon.

Gaming Lounge
    Our console gaming area promises a large selection of the best games and the most intense tournaments. Casual play will be available all weekend with tournaments in the games being offered. The end of October is usually launch time for the big Christmas titles so we are looking forward to having new titles, but here is what we will have to whet your appetites:

Mario Kart
    Pick your favourite Mario character then go forth and blow the rest of 'em off the road with the aid of mushrooms and shells! 4 player battle - winner advances - no track containing the word rainbow shall be used.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl
    Pick your favourite Nintendo character and come and do battle in a mad melee. 4 players - winner advances. Rules are still being debated and will be posted as soon as possible.

FIFA 09
    Pick your club. Play, win, advance. Its football. Do I really need to elaborate further? Club teams only single player elimination.

Street Fighter 4
    A true successor to Street Fighter 2 has emerged at last! (All them other ones are like Highlander 2, It just didn't happen right?!) Pick your fighter, go kick ass. Best of 5-single player elimination tourney - ( Aakuma is banned in the name of fairness )

Left 4 Dead
    Are you human or are you zombie ? Two teams of four pitted against each other, Humans try to survive, zombies try and eat them. Top players; Team Alpha are confirmed as attending, so take advantage of their expertise while they’re there, 4 vs. 4 final episode of a campaign (GMs choice)- points based.

Guitar Hero/Rock Band
    Rock out with the aid of the machines! Daniel Dunne has already qualified for the final on Monday, so fear him not. Well at least not till Monday :) Single track on expert GMs choice of track.

Soul Calibur 4
    Work out your differences with various swords and weapons. It's Street Fighter with big Swords instead of fireballs. Best of 5 rounds - single player elimination tourney -( Yoda, Ivy, Algol and the apprentice are banned in the name of fairness ).

More info and full rules at:
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=37294349804&ref=ts

Timetable for the Games Lounge:

Saturday
    Fifa '09
    Streetfighter 4
    Guitar Hero: Metallica (round 1)

Sunday
    Left 4 Dead 4 vs 4
    Blood Bowl (round 1) TBC
    Super Smash Bros
    Guitar Hero: Metallica (round 2)

Monday
    Halo 3 4 vs 4
    Mario Kart
    Blood Bowl Final Round TBC
    Guitar Hero: Metallica (Final round)

All Weekend events:
    Old vs New: Duck Hunt
    Tetris

And if you ever wanted to try something other then consoles Gaelcon has always offered a chance for those who want to put down a controller for a wee while and try a board game from the games library, or take part in their first rpg game.

Oh, and a quick elaboration: when they had the SF tourney in Fibber Magee's (ages back), there was no "hassle" from button configuring.
    Even though everyone was quite drunk :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

To the regulars who post here and attend the XGC events would there be interest in going to this if the competition was run using a similar ruleset to the the XGC events?
    Thaedydal wrote:
    It is the first year of it and I am sure the rules will be up for reconsideration when it's done, like I said those rules have been place from January and will be for Gaelcon, I am sure that any input or concerns you have will be taken on board by Brain if you email him.

As far as I know the rule on not customising the controllers is to keep a standard setting to stop delays in-between rounds.
    Thaedydal wrote:
    Again these rules have been running at all Eir-rage events from January 2009
    and were the result of polls which Eir-rage ran for gamers to have input into on facebook and bebo.

The rules are fine if this is aimed at casual gamers who just want abit of a laugh. I can understand the orgainsers may be under time pressure, so they want to keep to one button configuration to save time, but under the current rule set I can't imagine any of the regular posters here wanting to go to this event.

Its hard to look at the PR memo for Gaelcon and think the organisers expect people to take them seriously when the rule sets for certain games look like they have be made up completly at random in a phone in vote. I can't talk about the event in general but looking at the rulesets solely for both fighting game tournaments makes them seem completely amateurish compared to major events abroad.

The ruleset seems fairly well set in stone, but the finals are almost 3 months away so I don't see a reason why they could not be changed if enough people from these forum expressed an interest in going. If its a time/admin/lack of equipment constraint thats an issue then I'm sure posters like myself here will be willing to help out and give feedback on whats needed to run in our view a proper fighting game competition.

The fighting game community we are currently building here probably has the vast majority of the countries best players (not saying we are world beaters or anything like that) in those fighting games Gaelcon plans to hold competitions for. If the organisers wants to help put Irish Gaming on the map as the PR memo suggested then I would think they would want the best players possible in each particular competition they are running.

• Advertisement

Listen to Azza, he is a constructive and sensible poster unlike the rest of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I think it's more unfortunate that we haven't heard about this earlier. Would agree that certain rules need to be changed but would say it is too late this season to do anything.

Now the release is a little confusing because to help Ireland in the global competitive world, we do need to be playing the same rulesets. No point in someone winning the Eir-rage finals / season and thinking they are sorted...Then going to an XGC event (for example) and facing an Akuma // throws // fireballs.

Good idea...Needs a tweak.

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Now the release is a little confusing because to help Ireland in the global competitive world, we do need to be playing the same rulesets. No point in someone winning the Eir-rage finals / season and thinking they are sorted...Then going to an XGC event (for example) and facing an Akuma // throws // fireballs.

Good idea...Needs a tweak.

The throws/fireball spam thing was from a different online tournament which sounds even more ridiculous than the Gaelcon rules.

Reading Thaedydal post that she posted up while I typing up my last one clarifys a few things.

Its not a Gaelcon event but an Eir-rage event being held at Gaelcon 21 and the rules are set in stone as its mid season. Therefore I can understand them not being able to change it.

But as it is, I think the response from the fighting game community here will be 'meh' until after the current season is over and those rules can be looked at.

I also agree with Sabre0001 comment that the country needs standarized rules for all its games in general preferrable in alignment with international standard rules if Ireland wants to take E-Sports seriously.

Thanks for the input, as I have said Gaelcon is hosting the Eir-rage event, I have sent a link of this thread on to the con director and the consonle contact, unfortunatly the main site for Eir-rage ( who are totally seperate from Gaelcon ) seems to be down but they are contactable on thier bebo and facebook page, if I get an email for them I will stick it up here.

Eir-Rage has held events with these rules so far in Cork at warpcon, in Galway at itzacon, Sligo and most recently Belfast at Qcon.

XGC is where you guys play right, just so I'm sure on that or is it more then just that?

Thaedydal wrote: »
    XGC is where you guys play right, just so I'm sure on that or is it more then just that?

It's the best place we've found to play in central Dublin so far, so yeah currently it's the only place we play. A better location would be nice though (preferably one where we could use PCs to run SF4 and where it isn't so goddamn hot).

edit: Basically if the Eir-rage guys are just running a small insular thing that's fine, but I mean any fighting game tournament player is going to look at those rules and just think it's a joke. Were the rules changed to be based around, for example, the Evo rules, which were a reference point for the organisation of the last tournament in the XGC organised by Azza and Leprekaun, then I'd be interested in going to some of their events!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    It's the best place we've found to play in central Dublin so far, so yeah currently it's the only place we play. A better location would be nice though (preferably one where we could use PCs to run SF4 and where it isn't so goddamn hot).

edit: Basically if the Eir-rage guys are just running a small insular thing that's fine, but I mean any fighting game tournament player is going to look at those rules and just think it's a joke. Were the rules changed to be based around, for example, the Evo rules, which were a reference point for the organisation of the last tournament in the XGC organised by Azza and Leprekaun, then I'd be interested in going to some of their events!

I agree.

Those rules are odd as hell. No config? It takes about 6 seconds for a player to set his buttons up. Seems like a rule purely designed to irk people.

Akuma is banned in HD remix because he is widely acknowledged to be broken. In Street fighter 4, he is fine.

I realise that its half way through and its unlikey to be changed.....but really, if you are going to decide your rules by polling people, limit the poll to people who actually know the game in question.

Having said that, I use default controls, and don't use Akuma. :D Doesn't affect me.

To expand on what Kirby said, Street Fighter 4 at Evo this year had over one thousand entrants and didn't have any problems time-wise due to people changing their controls (and this is with people having to disconnect controllers to plug in their own sticks all the time, etc.). It's a silly reason imo.

• Advertisement

Yeah but Evo is dedicated to fighting games soley and the event is geared to that end accordingly,as well as that the organisers would be extremely well versed in fighting games and very experienced.

The comeptitions where run on 24 PS3 over 3 days with a least 18+ hours of game time available to them. Who knows how many admins (Judges) there was.

I doubt Eir-Rage is anywhere remotely that will equiped and organised :D

So unless they provide us with a number of machines/organisers and the estiamted time we don't really know whats viable for the organisers.

Advertisement