Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-07-2009, 09:09   #1

Dublin Characters Real and Fictional

Hi, The ones I know are Johnny Forty Coats; Mixer Reid; Molly Malone; Dicey Reilly; Lugs Brannigan; Bang Bang. Can anyone add to the list?
Advertisement
08-07-2009, 09:15   #2

the diceman
08-07-2009, 16:19   #3

big thread on it here
18-07-2009, 12:48   #4

then there is Christy Sweets who hands out sweets to Dublin players after the hurling and football games in Parnell Park.
18-07-2009, 14:14   #5
Rashers

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralofthefleet View Post
big thread on it here
Ah but they're talking about present day characters. I thnk the OP is talking about the characters of old. Am I right Essential?

One or two I remember were Wagon Wheels who once chased me (I was a kid) from the top of Gardiner Street down as far as Memorial Road beside the Custom House where I managed to lose him. If you called out "Wagon Wheels" he would come after you for some reason. He could be fearsome looking too so I'm glad he never caught me.

The OP already mentioned Mickser Reid. Mickser worked in the old Royal and when it was being demolished to make way for the eyesore known as Hawkins House, Mickser worked on the demolition. After that he worked as a nipper on the building of the aforementioned eyesore... and I don't know what happened him after that.

Perhaps I should mention that Mickser was, in terms that would be used today as Vertically Challenged.... but we just called him a dwarf.

A lot of the oul characters that were around in my childhood would have been men who came back from the war (WW2) not quite the same young men who went off to war.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
18-07-2009, 18:09   #6

You historians might enjoy this portraiture of Davy Stephens, the Kingstown Newsman http://www.chaptersofdublin.com/page6.html
18-07-2009, 21:51   #7

Pete Shortt, another one. Used to sell In Dublin on Grafton Street. And then there was yer one who did her prayers on O'Connell Street.
19-07-2009, 00:46   #8

brendan behan
18-06-2011, 22:44   #9

'Hoyer Kelly' the original character which James Plunkett had to base his Rashers Tierney character in the Strumpet City novel. The name derives from the fact that he said 'Hi Yer' if he passed you by, sometimes without even knowing you. A tall and gaunt, friendly man wearing hobnail boots, walked the streets with a small dog with a rope as a lead. He was a vagrant, but his neighbours of Corporation Buildings (off Talbot Street) looked after him, by giving him scraps of food and tea. He died tragically when the hut he was sleeping in caught fire. Both he and the dog perished. My late mother made the connection having watched the Strumpet City series on television in 1980. Ironically the dogs name was Rusty.
Advertisement
18-06-2011, 22:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essential View Post
Hi, The ones I know are Johnny Forty Coats; Mixer Reid; Molly Malone; Dicey Reilly; Lugs Brannigan; Bang Bang. Can anyone add to the list?
"Hoyer Kelly"
18-06-2011, 23:06   #11

"Hairy Lemon" This was a name I heard as a youngster in Dublin passed on to me by my then pals. The name has no biased meaning to any individual. It was simply attributed to old men of the then 1960's. These men were simply homeless and could be seen foraging in dustbins. Usually dressed in ragged clothes and bearing long grey beards hence the name "Hairy Lemon" but they were in the main, harmless people. But as youngsters, were in awe and terror of them. Often our parents would warn us (to get us all to bed early) "You better watch out or Hairy Lemon will get you" I don't hear much of that name in these current times. But those poor men can still be seen doing the same things I saw all those years ago. Dublin hasn't changed much, anyway that was my understanding of the slogan "Hairy Lemon"
20-06-2011, 14:12   #12

NecroThread man, known colloquially as Jimboh
20-06-2011, 16:38   #13

"Cyclone" Bill Warren or Siki, ex boxer and probably the first and only black man that Dubliners of the early 20s-40s ever seen in real life. Apparently he always carried a paper bag under his arm and advertised Nugget Boot Polish around the city. He seems to have become a forgotten charactor in Dublin history.
20-09-2011, 16:15   #14
gerryg80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboh View Post
"Hairy Lemon" This was a name I heard as a youngster in Dublin passed on to me by my then pals. The name has no biased meaning to any individual. It was simply attributed to old men of the then 1960's. These men were simply homeless and could be seen foraging in dustbins. Usually dressed in ragged clothes and bearing long grey beards hence the name "Hairy Lemon" but they were in the main, harmless people. But as youngsters, were in awe and terror of them. Often our parents would warn us (to get us all to bed early) "You better watch out or Hairy Lemon will get you" I don't hear much of that name in these current times. But those poor men can still be seen doing the same things I saw all those years ago. Dublin hasn't changed much, anyway that was my understanding of the slogan "Hairy Lemon"
I thought "Hairy Lemon" referred to a dog catcher around dublin in the 50s/60s. As referred to in the song "The Mero" by Pete St. John
20-09-2011, 23:48   #15
Muas Tenek

Don't forget Mary Dunne "The Dancer" She used to dance in the middle of O' Connell St (where the Spire is now) and sing hymns and tell you that Jesus loves you.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion