Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-06-2009, 22:28   #1
qwert2

Can you see Wales from the Dublin mountains?

Hi, I was up in the Dublin mountains yesterday evening, ticknock to be precise. I could see the mountains of Mourne very clearly. I looked east and thought I could make out some land. It looked low enough so I don't think it was Snowdon, perhaps it was Anglesy? Has anyone ever made out the UK from the Dublin/Wicklow mountains?
Advertisement
19-06-2009, 00:36   #2
Enduro
A/R/T Performance of the Season

very very occasionally, yes.
19-06-2009, 09:30   #3
Alun

Sometimes you can see the Snowdon range, yes. It's unlikely you saw Anglesey, as it's pretty flat (apart from Holyhead Mountain), but the mountains start rising up just the other side of the Menai Straits, so it's not that much further.

Generally speaking it happens more often on those beautiful clear, crisp, cold winter days rather than during the summer months. In the summer, there's usually too much haze to see Snowdon properly. Don't be fooled by banks of sea mist either, they can often look suspiciously like land sometimes.
22-06-2009, 16:53   #4
mmclo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alun View Post
Sometimes you can see the Snowdon range, yes. It's unlikely you saw Anglesey, as it's pretty flat (apart from Holyhead Mountain), but the mountains start rising up just the other side of the Menai Straits, so it's not that much further.

Generally speaking it happens more often on those beautiful clear, crisp, cold winter days rather than during the summer months. In the summer, there's usually too much haze to see Snowdon properly. Don't be fooled by banks of sea mist either, they can often look suspiciously like land sometimes.
Yes most certainly on St. Stephens day on the Sugar Loaf, a lot of ohhing and ahhing and it was a very crisp sunny cold day!
22-06-2009, 16:57   #5
tricky D
NSAbot: Second Variety

Also from the top of Howth but only on an exceptionally clear day.
Advertisement
22-06-2009, 17:05   #6
C Eng

It is possible to see Mt Snowdon, like another poster said better on a cold crisp winters day
22-06-2009, 19:19   #7
Alun

We could see both the Mournes and Wales from the top of Kippure on Saturday. There was quite a bit of cloud but it was quite high.
23-06-2009, 13:45   #8
Seaswimmer

see Snowdon from wicklow town

You could see a Welsh mountain from one of the housing estates (Harbour view???) in wicklow last night. This estate is fairly high up and you could make out the tip of a mountain (I assume snowdon) with the naked eye. I did a rough calculation on google maps and it looks to be about 70 miles away. It is strange to see what looks like an island in the irish sea. Can anyone in wicklow town confirm that they have seen wales before???
24-06-2009, 00:43   #9
Enduro
A/R/T Performance of the Season

The Welsh hills were just about visible from Tibradden this evening.
Advertisement
01-07-2009, 13:25   #10
peter1892

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky D View Post
Also from the top of Howth but only on an exceptionally clear day.
Yes, I've seen the Welsh mountains from Howth once, a january evening about 4 years ago. Never before or since though.
01-07-2009, 15:30   #11
TarfHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert2 View Post
Hi, I was up in the Dublin mountains yesterday evening, ticknock to be precise. I could see the mountains of Mourne very clearly.
Last Wednesday, in a boat off Howth, I looked North and saw a range of hills. I assumed it was the Cooleys, with Slieve Gullion the highest point in sight west. Someone else reckoned they were the Mournes, with Slieve Donard the highest point in sight east. I thought, from Dublin, you would not see the Mournes 'behind' the Cooleys ?
01-07-2009, 15:38   #12
Alun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarfHead View Post
Last Wednesday, in a boat off Howth, I looked North and saw a range of hills. I assumed it was the Cooleys, with Slieve Gullion the highest point in sight west. Someone else reckoned they were the Mournes, with Slieve Donard the highest point in sight east. I thought, from Dublin, you would not see the Mournes 'behind' the Cooleys ?
Slieve Donard would be 250m higher than anything in the Cooleys, so more likely to be the Mournes IMO. They cover a bigger area too and would be more apparent than a small range like the Cooleys.
01-07-2009, 15:41   #13
tricky D
NSAbot: Second Variety

You can easily see the Mournes from Howth, but not today with the fog (just checked). Slieve Gullion is well off to the west of them. You can see some of the Cooleys too, but they're generally obscured by Ireland's Eye depending where exactly you are. The higher, rollercoaster-like curvy ones are the Mournes.
07-07-2009, 22:06   #14

I have seen the mountains of Wales from the top of Kippure, next to the TV mast.
08-07-2009, 08:56   #15

On clear days from Wicklow Town

You can see the Welsh hills from Wicklow Town on clear days. Wicklow Head which is just south of the town is the most easterly point in the republic so it's not too surprising

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion