Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
09-05-2009, 20:05   #1
taung
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 337
Skype Calls from pre-pay mobile phones with no need for refills.

'3' UK have a new pre-pay proposition around making Skype calls from your mobile phone. They will allow you to make as many Skype calls as you want without any '3' charges and without requiring minimum monthly refills. You are, of course, charged (by Skype) for Skype 'dial-out' calls.

'3' Ireland also offer a pre-pay Skype call service but they force you to refill by €10 per month for this privelige.

Anyhow, the bargain alert revolves around the 3 'UK' Skype service since, if you can get your hands on a '3' UK SIM card (available on ebay), you will be able to use their Skype service in Ireland without any roaming charges thanks to the '3' UK 3 Like Home service.

The only catches are;

1. To avail of the free 3 UK roaming service you must roam on the 3 Ireland network.

2. The 3 UK '3 Like Home' service ends on 30th June 2009.

Last edited by taung; 11-05-2009 at 10:33. Reason: Corrections.
taung is offline  
Advertisement
09-05-2009, 23:13   #2
sligo_tech
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6
Good post. A pity the 3 Like Home finished on 30 june.
THanks for the info
sligo_tech is offline  
10-05-2009, 09:58   #3
Dilbert75
Registered User
 
Dilbert75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Co. Wexford
Posts: 3,275
And, to be fair, you only need to top up by €10 a month to get Skype on 3pay.
Dilbert75 is offline  
10-05-2009, 13:57   #4
Kenny Powers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 639
This would also mean you could use skype out to call irish numbers. Its a pity the quilty of skype calls with 3 is crap. Getting rid of the 3 like home will be a major loss for the network.
Kenny Powers is offline  
10-05-2009, 21:37   #5
taung
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilbert75 View Post
And, to be fair, you only need to top up by €10 a month to get Skype on 3pay.
Thanks for the correction, I've updated my original post now to reflect this.
taung is offline  
Advertisement
10-05-2009, 23:25   #6
Walkman
Registered User
 
Walkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by taung View Post
Thanks for the correction, I've updated my original post now to reflect this.
3 Ireland introduced Skype out calls last November (although you cant call Irish mobiles or landlines as this would defeat the purpose of them being a mobile network), you may want to amend your original post. If you have a phone that supports skype but was bought before this date you need to redownload the application via planet 3 (skype out will not work on the original skype phone as the application is an integral part of the phone and connot be replaced with the newer version). Also an unlocked 3g handset does not mean skype will work as the phone will not have the 3 firmware which has the certificates to allow the application to run on the phone.
Walkman is offline  
10-05-2009, 23:28   #7
Walkman
Registered User
 
Walkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powers View Post
This would also mean you could use skype out to call irish numbers. Its a pity the quilty of skype calls with 3 is crap. Getting rid of the 3 like home will be a major loss for the network.
I have to disagree. The call quality of skype on 3 is the same as a normal call IMO making it better than normal skype calling (probably something to do with the way 3 route the call over their network rather than via the internet).
Walkman is offline  
11-05-2009, 01:03   #8
Kenny Powers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 639
Well i found using 3 Skype to call someone else using 3 Skype the call quality was rubbish sometimes there would be as much as a 5 second delay on the call. When i first started using it when it was first launched and for a few months after yeah it was grand but now its just crap i can't even use it anymore.
Kenny Powers is offline  
11-05-2009, 10:40   #9
taung
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkman View Post
3 Ireland introduced Skype out calls last November (although you cant call Irish mobiles or landlines as this would defeat the purpose of them being a mobile network), you may want to amend your original post. If you have a phone that supports skype but was bought before this date you need to redownload the application via planet 3 (skype out will not work on the original skype phone as the application is an integral part of the phone and connot be replaced with the newer version). Also an unlocked 3g handset does not mean skype will work as the phone will not have the 3 firmware which has the certificates to allow the application to run on the phone.
I've updated the orginal post, thanks.

Going a wee bit off-topic now, but, while I have access to a 3 Skype expert......can the following scenario work with the 3 Ireland network?

1. Buy 3-Ireland pre-pay mobile phone with Skype.
2. Buy 3-UK pre-pay SIM card.
3. Insert 3 UK SIM card in 3-Ireland mobile phone with Skype.
4. Use 3-Ireland mobile phone to access 3-UK Skype service?

Or is the Skype software in the 3 Ireland mobile phone specific to the 3 Ireland service?
taung is offline  
Advertisement
11-05-2009, 16:24   #10
Davy
Category Moderator
 
Davy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ireland most of the time
Posts: 14,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by taung View Post
1. Buy 3-Ireland pre-pay mobile phone with Skype.
2. Buy 3-UK pre-pay SIM card.
3. Insert 3 UK SIM card in 3-Ireland mobile phone with Skype.
4. Use 3-Ireland mobile phone to access 3-UK Skype service?

Or is the Skype software in the 3 Ireland mobile phone specific to the 3 Ireland service?
That should ok yes. With the three Uk sim in the phone, and you can download the three uk skype from this link using your phone: http://mobile.three.co.uk/sdf/skypeupdate
Davy is offline  
11-05-2009, 20:35   #11
Walkman
Registered User
 
Walkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by taung View Post
I've updated the orginal post, thanks.

Going a wee bit off-topic now, but, while I have access to a 3 Skype expert......can the following scenario work with the 3 Ireland network?

1. Buy 3-Ireland pre-pay mobile phone with Skype.
2. Buy 3-UK pre-pay SIM card.
3. Insert 3 UK SIM card in 3-Ireland mobile phone with Skype.
4. Use 3-Ireland mobile phone to access 3-UK Skype service?

Or is the Skype software in the 3 Ireland mobile phone specific to the 3 Ireland service?
Sorry Davy but the other side is the firmware on the phone will be for 3Ireland so if you launch planet 3 you will probably connect to the 3Ireland planet 3 portal and the above link does not work on my phone (get an error message saying file is not supported). Also if 3UK are getting rid of 3Like Home there is nothing to say it will work.
Walkman is offline  
11-05-2009, 22:18   #12
Moonbeam
Moderator
 
Moonbeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: TheLandOfMakeBelieve
Posts: 13,874
fring is handy too esp if you have wireless.
Moonbeam is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet