Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-05-2009, 00:01   #1
billy few mates

Buying Hurleys

My son plays quite a lot of hurling and goes through hurleys at a phenomenal rate. Any suggestions where to buy good quality hurleys?
Advertisement
07-05-2009, 00:05   #2
Leif_Erikson

Em, depends what country your from. Dont buy them in a shop or outlet of any sort. Most clubs buy in bulk from their local hurley maker, which are usually good quality if your willing to pay for it, or the cheap alternative of buying in hurleys by the dozen off a person who produces en-masse (which tend to be bad hurleys, but better than whats in the shops).

Youll find hurley makers on the internet im sure, no doubt youll be informed of one by other posters once you say what area you live in
07-05-2009, 09:02   #3
billy few mates

Sorry, I should have said I'm in Meath but I've bought hurleys from all over the country. I don't mind paying for them, he ones he gets from the club only cost about €20 but he does not like them. I've bought them from all over the country, Star hurleys from Kilkenny (his favourite), some from Ben (or Jerry) O' Connor in Cork (seems they were made from white chocolate as both of them only lasted a few minutes), some from a guy in Holy Cross County Tipp, some from a guy in Ratoath etc etc, I've never bought one in a shop.
I've even bought him a Cultec hurley for training but he just can't seem to get on with it.
I'd stick with the Star hurleys if it wasn't so difficult to get hold of them but meanwhile he'll try one from anywhere if anyone can suggest someone.
07-05-2009, 09:10   #4
E30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy few mates View Post
Sorry, I should have said I'm in Meath but I've bought hurleys from all over the country. I don't mind paying for them, he ones he gets from the club only cost about €20 but he does not like them. I've bought them from all over the country, Star hurleys from Kilkenny (his favourite), some from Ben (or Jerry) O' Connor in Cork (seems they were made from white chocolate as both of them only lasted a few minutes), some from a guy in Holy Cross County Tipp, some from a guy in Ratoath etc etc, I've never bought one in a shop.
I've even bought him a Cultec hurley for training but he just can't seem to get on with it.
I'd stick with the Star hurleys if it wasn't so difficult to get hold of them but meanwhile he'll try one from anywhere if anyone can suggest someone.

My sons find Lash GoLeor in Wexford quite strong but still reasonably light. I have no connection other that we live in Wexford and therefore they would be local to us as would quite a number of other Hurley Makers. They have a website and from talking to them they are selling all over the country. 28" 30" are I think €20 the last time I bought a couple.

I also have had them repair a couple of broken hurls and they did a good job and charged €7 each for the repair.
07-05-2009, 10:43   #5
theram

Go right to the lads themselves, this is the association of ash hurley makers in Ireland.

http://www.igahm.com/index.html
Advertisement
07-05-2009, 11:23   #6
billy few mates

Thanks for all the replys guys.
I just checked out the websites and spoke to a very helpful and knowledgable lady at Lash GoLeor who suggested one or two models that might be suitable (I never knew there were so many different styles available).
Thanks again.
18-05-2009, 15:44   #7
Knucklebreaker

You could add little bit of strength getting them double banded. If the hurleys are breaking in the middle of the shaft there isn't much that can be done, but if they are cracking at the bas, try linseed oiling them. Donal Og's (Cork Goalie) are treated with this or some other wood preservative. They only need to be treated up as far as where the stamp is normally. Where the hurleys are kept is also critical as if left inside the wood can dry out and weaken the ash, which can leads to cracks that irritate players. An outdoor shed that is well ventilated out of direct sunlight would be suitable.
Hope this helps,
18-05-2009, 16:04   #8
sylane93

I thought o' connor hurleys are supposed to be one of the best.
18-05-2009, 16:09   #9
IIMII

You could try Tom Walsh out by Athboy or Bohermeen (not sure which as I've never used him) on 087-2655812
Advertisement
17-07-2009, 00:59   #10
River Allow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylane93 View Post
I thought o' connor hurleys are supposed to be one of the best.
They are a lovely style of hurley... Lovely to hurl with and everything.. But I've had a few now and they do break fairly easily. I keep buying them though because I just love the style of the boss! Definitely the nicest hurleys Ive used, just wish they were a bit stronger.
17-07-2009, 20:52   #11
deise_girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Allow View Post
They are a lovely style of hurley... Lovely to hurl with and everything.. But I've had a few now and they do break fairly easily. I keep buying them though because I just love the style of the boss! Definitely the nicest hurleys Ive used, just wish they were a bit stronger.
Dont mean to hijack this thread but roughly how much would you say the O' Connor hurleys are??
17-07-2009, 21:06   #12
davestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by deise_girl View Post
Dont mean to hijack this thread but roughly how much would you say the O' Connor hurleys are??
they average at about e25 .
Thanks from:
14-08-2009, 16:18   #13
AntoSRFC
Closed Account

Need a hurley to. Does anyone have a number for Billy Discon from Enfeild? Live close but never heard of him before. Got his name from the Irish Hurley makers website.
Does anyone know what his hurls are like?

And also theres a chap from Lucan can anyone tell me about him?

Thanks
14-08-2009, 16:43   #14
nice_guy80

http://www.igahm.com/4.html

enjoy
14-08-2009, 16:53   #15
AntoSRFC
Closed Account

Ye saw that didnt have the 2 numbers i was looking for though.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion