Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coconut Flour and Palm Sugar

Options
  • 15-04-2009 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi,

Where could I purchase these in Dublin? Also, what kind of price is it please

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

you will defo get the palm sugar in the Asian market up behind the westbury think its Drury street €6-€7 kilo. Coconut flour??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The asian shops should have coconut flour too. I got some in the one in the market in blackrock in dublin. It is a really good shop there. I have it with oats & milk in the morning.

Depending on the recipe you could probably use just normal dessicated coconut readily available in supermarkets, usually alongside the raisins. Or stick the dessicated in a liquidiser to pulverise it more into a flour.

Can't recall the exact price, the flour was similar price to dessicated which is very reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Orby

Thanks for the replies. I'll defo check out the asian market.

Rubadub- I had thought about grinding the dessicated coconut until fine but I looked into it- dessicated coconut is 70% fat and coconut flour is only 8%- apparently its de-fatted (however they do that?) before it is pulverised. Thanks mil for help though

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

My flour is 62% fat, it is east end brand. What is the recipe you are doing?

Unless it specifically says to be "defatted" I would presume it should be the normal full fat one.

The defatted one sounds like the leftover waste after coconut oil is extracted.

Though high in sat fat many say coconut is very good for you, and can help you lose weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I saw coconut flour for sale in the Asian Market in Drury street yesterday.

Last aisle on the bottom shelf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AntyH

Does anybody ever seen Coconut sugar (darker colour than palm sugar) in any shop in Dublin?
    I would love to get some for dessert.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I got a couple of sticks of Gula Melaka (palm sugar) from Mr Bells in the English Market in Cork.
    Lovely stuff, really rich flavour from it, especially in Ice kachang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭callig

rubadub wrote: »

The defatted one sounds like the leftover waste after coconut oil is extracted.

It's not waste
    Coconut dietary fiber is made from finely ground, dried, and defatted coconut.

http://www.purezing.com/living/food_articles/living_articles_coconutfiber.htm

Advertisement