Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recollections on a tour of Beamish and Crawford brewery

Options
  • 06-02-2009 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Well,
    One day last year , I won an amazing contest , Wallacebiy had the great fortune to be brought on an all access tour of that sacred Brewing site in Corks heart, The Beamish and Crawford Brewery. This was indeed a special occasion , for so many reasons. I have long espoused the and evangelised on the perfection of Beamish , it being the premier stout brewed in the world and definitely my favoured and staple tipple. This love was passed to me by my Brother , who accompanied me on this spiritual journey through the site where that nectar has been brewed since 1791. Of Course there's been a brewery there since early 1600's at least.

At 3pm on a wet Wednesday evening , we entered the Counting House Doors to the reception area , passing over the Tun Mash Plate dated from 1809 which is set in the floor. Roundabout on the Walls are letters dating from way back in pristine condition , proving that a good pen and legible handwriting can last the centuries. Presently Rory, the Head of the Master brewers came and greeted us . This is the man who is responsible for so many years of my finest and happiest moments enjoying wonderful Pints of stout all around Ireland. I am in awe. The Brother can hardly contain himself for the sheer excitement.

First he took us through the oldest Part of the brewery , which is currently disused , but will surely be developed into a Heritage site to rival the popularity of the Pyramids. Onward we went to the Kegging area for a detailed look at how the creamy pints are inserted into the Barrell ( Upside down ) at all times the various measures and checks that ensure perfections at the tap were pointed out . Having greeted the two gents that ensure the whole show there runs perfectly we carried on to the Bottling plant. Which is the only Beer Bottling line in the Republic. If I had stayed there an Hour I would have seen 30,000 Miller genuine draft 330mls poured pasteurised and labeled. But there were other things to see.

Onward we moved to the Mashing area, were Rory explained to us the variety of ingredients ( malted barley , roasted malt barley wheat Hops ) and the different way each is dealt with in mashing and creating the Wort.
    I'd have to check but I think 75,000 Pints are brewed every 6 hours in a continous Batch . On upstairs we went to look at the Kettle, and the Famous "late Hopping " process which gives Beamish its characteristic aroma was explained. From there we carried on to look at the Yeast culturing lab and said hello to the cute microbiologist , who ensures that every thing is always clean and Pure , before heading first to the Bottom of the conical fermentation vats then on to climb the stairs to the Top of the Vats . A moments Pause atop the building , to look around the Breathtaking views of the City I love , from a spot I've never been at . Wondrous . The Fort on Barracka seems much more impressive from here.

So after the Tour ( which due to my intense fascination with beer and brewing was an immense treat for me ) we were brought Down to the Hospitality suite, the most gorgeous Bar you've ever seen , really tip top and Rory Pulled us a Pint . That gorgeous Nectar slid down my throat and I got a little tingle of Pure Pleasure , having seen the intricate details of how it's made , and knowing each of the 60 testing processes it goes through on the way , and then to have the best , freshest Pint ever , it's a glorious feeling. The Brother was doing litle backflips around the Bar ( little like Jack Black ) the chat and the Banter with Rory was good . He's worked there for 20 years ( starting a little after the last time I was there as a small lad ) and more than knows his stuff. We talked of different things , the brother suggested a milk stout at christmas weak at 2 per cent for drivers.
    Rory - " it's an idea alright , but the Market is funny, people in Ireland want their beer around 4.2 % "
    We enquired if there had ever Been a " Super Beamish " brewed
    Rory - " funny you say that now because recently a Nigerian company asked us to do a 7.5 percent stout , and I happen to have a few bottles left from the test batch , it's mighty stuff , But Jungle juice "

Rory then said " Right , I have to go Find a fella there , you'll have to learn to Pull your own "

I had never in my life Pulled a pint , being quite content to watch , but I felt confident. I began , addressing the tap correctly , first Pulll smoothly into the glass stopping at the correct mark , leave to settle . The Brother at this stage was experimenting , creating Black and Tans with Beamish and Beamish Red . I addressed the tap again and poured first then Pushed back to finish . A perfect Pint. and it slid down well

There followed a series of photo's , presentation of T Shirts ( they can't even make Bad Merchandise , it's the Best T shirt I have ever got , quality in every stitch) more Pints , ( still pulling them perfectly ) a bit more of Me and the brother feeling surreally at home, The presentation of some samples of the aforementioned " Superbeamish " ( which we'll save for a special occasion). The brother may have commented that it was the Happiest moment in his life. But I'm not sure as I was in Full swing .

Sadly there was a function in the bar at 6 pm so we had to get out the door, to find the most glorious sun shining down on us, God in heaven was pleased, and across to the Spalpín where Rory bought us two Pints. and scarpered . I think the man has a family and needed to get clocked off , But fair Dues to him he is a dedicated and Sound man , and I think it shows in the quality of the Beer he Brews. If I'm honest , the pint in the Spalpín was almost as good as the Brewery . ( but sure haven't they got a direct line under the Road !! ) that kind of quality only come from the true dedication of a proud Cork son.

And a few more were had in there by us Pair continuing in full flight ! Until the brothers good wife came along and scooped us up into the car to be brought home . Both of us felt wholly reinvigorated, renewed and spiritually alive. When I awoke on thursday Morning I was at peace , and feeling fully ready for the World , the sun was shining again, and all was right with the world.

The Brother inspired and infused by the whole experience, had spent half the night putting together proposals and plans of action to build the Heritage centre in the site of the old Brewery. So others may share a glimpse of the Nirvana we witnessed inside...............
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Ever had a pint of cask stout?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Wallacebiy

Don't believe I know where to get one . Would be nice though

Franciscan Well Easter Festival (April 11th & 12th) will hopefully have Carlow Druid's Brew available. It really shows what stout can be if you don't kill the flavours by pasteurising and nitrokegging, the way Guinness, Murphy's and Beamish do.

You mentioned that Beamish is "the premier stout brewed in the world". May I ask which others you've tried?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Any maybe even cask porterhouse plain,?

oblivious wrote: »
    Any maybe even cask porterhouse plain,?

I've drank Porterhouse Plain , and Wrasslers
    Never tried the Oyster stout there though .

Have had O Hara's , I've Drank Kelt ( a passable Czech Stout) , Tower stout in the can , and Shandon stout in the Franciscan . I remember sampling another stout in the Franciscan once , but the name escapes me.
    Guinness makes me ill ( really I mean it , there's something in it that I'm allergic to ) Murphy's used to be what I drank when I were a young lad .
    I've drank very nice homebrew stout years ago ( was made from a kit )

Beernut ,
    I'll do my best to make it to the easter festival this year , When I moved away from Cork for a few years I neglected the place ( seems to have survived without me ) but I need to dedicate a bit more time to it.

• Advertisement

Wallacebiy wrote: »
    I've drank Porterhouse Plain , and Wrasslers
    Never tried the Oyster stout there though .

Have had O Hara's , I've Drank Kelt ( a passable Czech Stout) , Tower stout in the can , and Shandon stout in the Franciscan
    O'Hara's bottled is pretty good. The nitrokeg version absolutely ruins the beer underneath. Wrassler's is one of the few nitro stouts with the balls to actually taste of something when served cold. And you prefer Beamish?
    I need to dedicate a bit more time to it.
    None of the regular line-up are particularly world-rocking, but the EaaterFest is where they shine, both in terms of what they get in and the specials they do themselves. The aged cask version of Purgatory they had last year was sublime.

Give us a shout if you're going: I'll buy you a pint of something daycent ;)

BeerNut wrote: »
    O'Hara's bottled is pretty good. The nitrokeg version absolutely ruins the beer underneath. Wrassler's is one of the few nitro stouts with the balls to actually taste of something when served cold. And you prefer Beamish?

None of the regular line-up are particularly world-rocking, but the EaaterFest is where they shine, both in terms of what they get in and the specials they do themselves. The aged cask version of Purgatory they had last year was sublime.

Give us a shout if you're going: I'll buy you a pint of something daycent ;)

I have preferred Beamish , for a combination of reasons , mostly to do with lack of illness or hangovers and a general consistency,

Outside Cork , All bars I've drank Beamish in , the pint was excellent . and given the Normal fare in such places as I've been ( Leitrim Donegal Galway , Dublin Portlaoise Roscommon Offally ) Finding a pint of Beamish in a town like Enniscorthy is an amazing thing , and is a good pint .

Dunno if I'm going to be able to say that after the beer begins brewing in Our lady's Well.

Point about Beamish is It was craft brewing , up to the point where they had to pasteurise Keg it and ship it around . No brewers aids used , no flavouring additives or preservatives , Just Filtered Cork Tap water , locally produced Barley Malt and imported hops . Added to yeast from the local University.

In terms of it , yes cask conditioned , non nitro kegged beeer is the ideal , and does give better ranges and tastes . Problem is ( for commercial brewing anyway ) that waste and transport becomes a bigger issue , and an increased cost . Any head brewer will probably tell you that it dissapoints him to have to Nitrokeg his brew , but he just has to , for the economics of it .
    Home brewing really is the way to go for enjoying non nitrokegged beer . If we could get a few publicans brewing ( á la Franciscan Well ) we might be getting somewhere .

Wrasslers tasted lovely alright , much bigger bite and a lively hoppiness in it .
    ( It was unpasteurised when I drank it )

I vomited all over the street on the way to the train station after only three pints of it though . I reckon the unpasteurised beer just didn't agree with me .

If I was to be honest about my favourite beer , it's from Salzburg , Mullnerbrau ( might be bottled and sold as Augustinier )

Monk brewed beer sold in a big Hall under the monastery, you pick your own size Stein and rinse it in the fountain before queing up to get your beer straight from the cask ( first time I went the dude who pulled it was a tonsured acolyte or monk !! )

great stuff that is , nectar ....

And I've drank most of Prague , but that's a different story

Any head brewer will probably tell you that it dissapoints him to have to Nitrokeg his brew , but he just has to , for the economics of it .
    I do wonder about this -- whether they've tried the alternatives. It's a different economic set-up, but neither the Imperial Stout nor Porter produced recently by Messrs Maguire were nitrokegged, and were better beers as a result.

And there's always bottling. The barriers to microbreweries entering the bottled beer market seem to have been falling like ninepins in recent years.
    And I've drank most of Prague , but that's a different story
    It's changed a lot this last couple of years. The Czech ale scene seems to be booming right now, which is brilliant.

I do wonder about this -- whether they've tried the alternatives. It's a different economic set-up, but neither the Imperial Stout nor Porter produced recently by Messrs Maguire were nitrokegged, and were better beers as a result.

And there's always bottling. The barriers to microbreweries entering the bottled beer market seem to have been falling like ninepins in recent years.

It's changed a lot this last couple of years. The Czech ale scene seems to be booming right now, which is brilliant.

Beamish and Crawford have the only Bottling line in the Republic , and that'll be gone soon .

Czech Ale ehh ? , Only one I tasted was Velvet , tasty but you couldn't drink a lot of it as it was too heavy , granted it's about 5 years since I was last there , fond memories though of those two weeks .

Beamish and Crawford have the only Bottling line in the Republic
    White Gypsy has one, as does the Porterhouse, which came with an offer of spare capacity to other microbrewers.

• Advertisement

White Gypsy has one, as does the Porterhouse, which came with an offer of spare capacity to other microbrewers.

Porterhouse one seems to be a Plan for this year , that'll be good for the industry alright . Still though ther'e's a big difference between 2,500 bottles an hour and 30,000 bottle an hour .

Who's White Gypsy ?

Who's White Gypsy ?

He is/was the brewers from Messers maguires

http://www.whitegypsy.ie/

oblivious wrote: »
    He is/was the brewers from Messers maguires

http://www.whitegypsy.ie/

Ahh great ,

But it looks as though he's going bottling for export only ( from the ICB website)

Yea its a pity and he has invest in some new American Oak barrels

Porterhouse one seems to be a Plan for this year
    February, said Oliver, last autumn.
    Still though ther'e's a big difference between 2,500 bottles an hour and 30,000 bottle an hour .
    And a bigger one between a brewery that's in business and offering bottling, and one that's closed and isn't.

February, said Oliver, last autumn.

And a bigger one between a brewery that's in business and offering bottling, and one that's closed and isn't.

That's what I'm crying about.

Franciscan Well Easter Festival (April 11th & 12th) will hopefully have Carlow Druid's Brew available. It really shows what stout can be if you don't kill the flavours by pasteurising and nitrokegging, the way Guinness, Murphy's and Beamish do.

You mentioned that Beamish is "the premier stout brewed in the world". May I ask which others you've tried?

The Druids Brew was indeed an excellent stout .

I'd love to have a session some night on it .

hi . I'm drunk. EOF

Advertisement