Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arthur Dunne ,Half Moon RIP

Options
  • 06-02-2009 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

ladies and gentlemen im sure that all of those that are involved in Open Water Swimming have heard about the tragic passing of our good friend and fellow open water swimming competitior Arthur Dunne.
    For those of you that knew him he was a larger than life character who swam for the Half Moon Club in Dublin.He passed on Jan 24th at the age of 42 after suffering a massive heart attack.He will be very sadly missed by all the clubs and fellow competitiors alike and im sure that there are many people out there that were very fortunate to have met Arthur.
    He was also a very prominent figure in the Irish Water Polo scene and a very successful coach.Arthur Dunne R.I.P

If you have any nice memories or funny stories that you have had with Arthur please post them here as i know his family would love to read a few.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 blocks71

folks i have just found this wonderfull tribute to Arthur and i think it says what a lot of people have been thinking.
    well done Karlinn

http://www.techno-culture.com/?p=310

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Gone Fishin

Hi there,
    I've been playing Waterpolo now for over 20 years and for as long as I could remember Arthur Dunne was involved. He was one of the great characters of the game. He just loved it. He was always involved, I don't think his mind switched off from waterpolo at all. I had many a laugh, many a pint and sang many a song with him (he was mad for sing songs). I still can't believe he's gone. I still tog out and get on to the bank, looking out for him. I still expect to see him refereeing. He was great mates with my coach Mick Cope and he always came over to chat to us - he coached us as well (North Dublin).

I have a story of my own below but one of the best I heard of him was at his eulogy, given by Ben Kealy of Half Moon - on the Friday, the day before he died, they were all at a funeral of another member of Half Moon. Ben Kealy was walking back down the aisle, having received communion and Arthur was in the seat as he passed and Arthur leaned over "Pssst Ben. Pssst Ben," "What Arthur?" replied Ben, expecting something solemn as they were at a funeral. "I have the hours booked in the NAC for the Half Moon tournament!!!!" That was him all over.

I made the Junior International team around 1992/1993. We travelled to Loule in Portugal at the end of June to play. In addition to the team, Brian O'Dwyer was coach and Eddy Duffy (poser - he was just short of wearing a thong around the pool), the supporters club was made up of Arthur Dunne, Pat Crowe (God rest him), Vinnie Nicoletti and Frank O'Dwyer. Loule was a small town with very little going on bar the pool. The town more or less shut down at 10pm. The supporters were having difficulty finding a decent bar or even a supermarket to buy beer. They went missing for a day, presumably on a beer hunt.

The following morning, they arrived back to the pool whilst we were warming up for a game. The four of them were burnt to a crisp - I mean red raw. They were happy as Larry because they had managed to find a bar and a supermarket where they bought a tray of beer. They (particularly) Arthur were dancing around the balcony, teasing us with the beers, knowing we couldn't have any. Summer time was his song and it was sang a few times from the bank. Paddy Dorris, a lad who played for Clonard up North, could speak 5 languages and Portuguese was one of them, he noticed something wrong with the beers. He got out of the pool and read the label off one of the cans - it turned out the lads bought a tray of non alchoholic beer!!! Sick as parrotts!!! It didn't stop Arthur singing though. He gave us great support on bank. He sang his head off. That was him. Remember him.

Arthur Dunne RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

I swim with a great group of swimmers in Carlisle gym, I never met Arthur but the group had nothing but praise for him. They had loads of stories to tell and all good...

Advertisement