Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many times would you watch the same movie?

Options
  • 04-02-2009 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭

Was just thinking about this lately and it was a topic that I brought up a little while back with some mates, but, how many times would you watch the same movie?

Say for instance you watched a movie that you found really enjoyable (I mean really enjoyable!). Would you be satisfied after the first viewing or would you have to watch it again........and again? :p

Personally if I've watched a very good movie I like to view it a number of times to take in all the details, flesh out the characters, and look for other interesting things going on in the movie that I wouldnt have noticed in the first viewing.

For instance, after I got 'There Will be Blood' I must have watched it about 3 times in two weeks! :cool: and I've lost track of the amount of times I've watched 'The Lives of Others', amongst others. I love looking for hidden messages in the movies or those little details that give extra meaning and such. Perhaps I just dont have the mental capacity to take all these details the first time :p

Is this normal? :P

Comments

I generally give most films at least two viewings, no matter how bad I find a film I will give it a second viewing a few months later just to see if it really was that bad or was I just not in the mood for it on the day.

For the films that I love well I can watch them over and over again. Take Serenity as an example, I watch it at least once a month and will often watch it once a week for months on end. My personnal best has to be the Dark Knight, 37 viewings in the cinema alone and I was warned that if I did'nt slow down I'd wear my Blu Ray out in a matter of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

My personnal best has to be the Dark Knight, 37 viewings in the cinema alone

WTF!?! 37 times? in the cinema alone...that's insane...:)

I've seen Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas probably about 50 times. I love that film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

I generally give most films at least two viewings, no matter how bad I find a film I will give it a second viewing a few months later just to see if it really was that bad or was I just not in the mood for it on the day.

For the films that I love well I can watch them over and over again. Take Serenity as an example, I watch it at least once a month and will often watch it once a week for months on end. My personnal best has to be the Dark Knight, 37 viewings in the cinema alone and I was warned that if I did'nt slow down I'd wear my Blu Ray out in a matter of weeks.

You have too much time on your hands.

Im Jealous;)

Tbh I find it hard enough to get the first viewing in for most films I want to see never mind multiple viewings. There are certain films that I could watch an infinite number of times though. Citizen Kane and the Godfather spring to mind. I have seen Pulp Fiction dozens of times too. Thats one film that if I see a glimpse of it I end up saying "Oh this is a good scene Ill just watch this" then the next scene will come on "oh this is a good scene Ill just watch this" and in the end I always end up watching the full movie. It literally consumes you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

If I'm giving a film my full attention and I don't like it I won't re-watch it. If I feel I haven't given it a chance I'll re-watch it. If I enjoy a film I'll rewatch it probably a few months later.

My latest re-watch was "colour of money" When you know the story you can concentrate a bit more on the characters. I really like Newman's performance and character in it.

EDIT: if I happen to catch the blues brothers on the telly I always sit down and watch it to the end. Dunno why. Just one of those things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

It depends on the timeframe. In a five-year timeframe, twice tops, for a really good movie.

Stretch it out a bit longer (5+ years) and I may happen to catch something a third time on on TV or whatever.

Once was too much for the Dark Knight tbh :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I watch my favourite movies all the time Raiders of the Lost Ark has got to be in the hundreds of viewings at this stage, comfort movies are great, I really dont understand this attitude that you cant watch a movie more than once, people I know are like that, if its something not worth watching again fair enough but wh yonly watch a great film one time? would you never listen to a song again because you've already heard it? granted a song isnt 2 hours long but same principal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I remember seeing LOTR: FOTR 11 times in the cinema back in the day. I'd always go to the cinema with the intention of seeing something else but every time I'd say fúck it I want to experience the magic again :D

Sounds gay, but I was only a kid! Still love the film though.

WTF!?! 37 times? in the cinema alone...that's insane...:)

Well when you're not working and are'nt particular fond of drinking your brains out every night the cinema can be your only choice. :D
    Babybing wrote: »
    You have too much time on your hands.

Im Jealous;)

I used to, now damned college is taking up all my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

My personnal best has to be the Dark Knight, 37 viewings in the cinema alone and I was warned that if I did'nt slow down I'd wear my Blu Ray out in a matter of weeks.

nerd-46422.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I've watched all my favs many times.
    I've watched the following between 20 to 30 times:
    LOTR
    Withnail & I
    Pulp Fiction
    Life of Brian
    The Holy Grail

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    nerd-46422.jpg

I'm not that bad yet, I see myself more like this. :D:D:D Technically I do have an excuse for watching films over and over again. For not only am I a film and tv student I have also worked as a writer for a number of low budget film studios.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I watch movies again for one of 2 reasons

1) Nostalga: So movies that are 10+ years old I'll probably give a second viewing
    2) Friends: If I have a friend that hasn't seen a movie before, and its one I liked, I'll watch it with them

Apart from that I never watch movies twice, when given the option of watching a new movie or one I've seen before, I'll always watch a new movie... and there are always movies out there that I haven't seen before that are worth watching.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Depends on the film really. My true favourites I'll watch once a year or so, although those'd be very few in number. Films I like I'll often watch in the cinema and then again a few years later on TV or whatever. And I'll often rewatch DVDs if there is no other alternatives. But it'd be rare for me to watch a film more than two or three times. The only ones I think truly deserve a number of viewings are complex ones where you can discover something new everytime - something like Donnie Darko, Primer or anything by Charlie Kaufman or David Lynch. Those kind of films sometimes demand two or more viewings to get the most out of them, especially when the first viewing can leave you slightly bewildered.

But I don't think I could ever watch anything 37 times in the cinema alone (you crazy Darko :pac:)! I really can't stand watching a film twice in close proximity (the only reason I saw the Dark Knight twice in the cinema was because I got a chance to see it in Imax). For me watching something that many times would ultimately kill the joy associated with it. One thing I love about cinema is the surprise factor, and after a number of repeat viewings I would think that edge is lost. There are films I have seen 5 or more times, but at longer intervals, and I rarely if ever go to see something in the cinema twice - I'd at least wait for the DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Like above, I would tend to watch my favorite movies on average once a year. The one i love to watch again and again is fight club. I always see something new or realise something new about this movie every time i watch it. Reading the book for the first time at the mo aswell. Great read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

My two favourite films (Seven and Shawshank, in that order), I watch about once a year, so as not to dilute the emotional impact too much. My third favourite is The Godfather, which I stick on about once every three months. The level of detail in The Godfather allows me to pick up new stuff each time, although I think I'm really scraping the barrell at this stage. I'd say I've watched The Matrix, Goodfellas and Dazed and Confused upwards of fifteen times each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I've seen Scarface about 46 times at this stage. Went through a phase when I was unemployed where I watched it at least 3-4 times a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'm pretty sure I've hit 3-digits with Star Wars at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

When I got the special edition Star Wars VHS when I was a kid I must have watched one of the films everyday for a few weeks during the summer, was completely obsessed with the films.

I tend to watch a few films a week, so I tend to rewatch some of favourites. Most Judd Apatow films I'll watch several times a year, when I'm not rewatching his TV shows Freaks and Geeks and Undelcared :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

as few as possible *backs away from the above posters*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭Heckler

True favourites maybe once a year. Seven, Edward Scissorhands (at Christmas). Pulp fiction, Goodfellas, Heat.

Entertaining bubblegum stuff anytime i'm bored, Speed, Once upon a time in Mexico.

Loads more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Quite often. Maybe not to the same extent as a couple of people here, but if I like a film, it can get watched repeatedly. I wouldn't know how many times I've watched The Big Lebowski, or I've watched The Dark Knight about 3 times since Christmas. I'd say for a film that I own on DVD, I'd watch it a good 2 or 3 times at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

qz wrote: »
    I remember seeing LOTR: FOTR 11 times in the cinema back in the day. I'd always go to the cinema with the intention of seeing something else but every time I'd say fúck it I want to experience the magic again :D

Sounds gay, but I was only a kid! Still love the film though.

I regret only seeing each of them once. I'll have to buy the dvd's and watch them but it won't be the same unless the screen is bigger than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I do watch films again, but only with long gaps between them - typically years.

One exception, though: with LotR, I never watched it in the cinema at all, waiting till the the Extended Edition of each part came out. I've watched the whole thing every Christmas, including on a laptop in an apartment in Bangalore (India) in 2006. I skipped last Christmas however, since it seemed a bit soon - so I'm going to read the book instead. :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

didn't we have the same thread like about a year ago and some people just couldn't believe anyone would watch the same film more the once.

Given I work freelance from home I usually have a film on by my drawing desk so can watch films a bunch of times. Have easily watched Singing in the Rain a 100+ times.

EDIT: Found the old thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

ztoical wrote: »
    didn't we have the same thread like about a year ago and some people just couldn't believe anyone would watch the same film more the once

those people where me :D and yes I still can't understand people who watch the same movie repeatedly in short succession. But lets not bring up that argument again :rolleyes:

It depends on the individual I guess. I'm the same with every form of media I consume, if given the option I will listen to new music, watch a new movie or play a new game. I liken it to individuals who travel to the same resort every year for a holiday, I'd rather travel to somewhere new, regardless of whether I know if i'm going to like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Fair play on the giving things a 2nd watch, i watch allot of B-movies which tbh can be hard to give a 2nd watch if you didnt enjoy them the first time

I would be the same as you on serenity, the main reason i bought a HD DVD player was because they where being recalled and i wanted to have that movie in HD, ive lost count the amount of times.

But Dark Night? Watched it once and well i was bored at parts, ive never been a big batman fan, Great acting and all but the movie just didnt hold my interest i was all for getting home and watching the new house when we where in the cinema.
    But i do plan to give it another watch ive heard its worth one even if its just for the sfx on bluray.

I've seen Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas probably about 50 times. I love that film.

+ 1

1 find that is the movie that tends to get turned on around 8am when most people at a session have hit the hey and there is only a couple of stragglers left.
    EL_Loco wrote: »

EDIT: if I happen to catch the blues brothers on the telly I always sit down and watch it to the end. Dunno why. Just one of those things.

Yes, About 4 times ive come accross peolple who havent seen it and i dont give them any choice at all they simply have to watch it.
    krudler wrote: »
    I watch my favourite movies all the time Raiders of the Lost Ark has got to be in the hundreds of viewings at this stage, comfort movies are great, I really dont understand this attitude that you cant watch a movie more than once, people I know are like that, if its something not worth watching again fair enough but wh yonly watch a great film one time? would you never listen to a song again because you've already heard it? granted a song isnt 2 hours long but same principal

Agreed (not about the lost arc :) ) but i dont understand not wanting to watch a movie more than once, the same people who say that will listen to the same song countless times not a bother.
    L31mr0d wrote: »
    I watch movies again for one of 2 reasons

1) Nostalga: So movies that are 10+ years old I'll probably give a second viewing
    2) Friends: If I have a friend that hasn't seen a movie before, and its one I liked, I'll watch it with them

Same here, Reason 2 more so for films.

Reason 1 for TV shows, i can think of 3 times when ive sat down with a mate and watch an TV show,every season/episode with someone who hadent seen it.

One of my personal fav's when i was young where "broken arrow" and "face off"

Now - i dont know, i do like Serenity allot and it would be a regular watch, i like Leon and i know it is such a heavy watch over 3 hours of subtitles and all but i love Der Untergang and have given it 4 watches since it came out, but i seee that being a regular long term fav.

My mind is drawing a blank on the rest...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Thanks for the responses guys, some interesting variations there, from 37 times!! :eek: to just the once! :eek: I'm equally shocked at both! :p

Now keep in mind I'm referring to a movie that you really like, ie those that'd appear in your top 5 or 10, not just any old movie that you've seen the once and wouldnt bother wind again.

Personally, with the really good movies, say for instance 'The Remains of the Day', which, I hadnt seen for a few years, but watched last night again, I'll probably give that another look before the weekend, because there was just so much going on in it. Some amazing acting and a great storyline, I want to, in fact I need to flesh it out a little more, dig a little deeper into it, once just isnt enough for a movie of that calibre.

As for TV shows, well, I've lost track of the amount of times I've watched 'The Office' (UK version!), I'll never get fed up of that, makes me laugh every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Daisy Dweller

I've watched Wall E about 50 times since it came out. It has to be the sweetest most adorable movie on the planet! I guess the likes of Star Wars and LoTR all go without saying....I think my most watched DVD would be The Mighty Boosh box sets...can't get enough of Rudi and Spider!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭eightcell

If I like a film alot I could watch it 3 or 4 times in the first month. Generally twice would be enough for most movies but with the matrix, back to the future or lord of the rings etc... I could watch countless times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Films like Kill Bill or The Fifth Element, ive watched countless times

I usually only watch a film once

But I was thinkin the other day about films i watched years ago. I watched them, I liked them. But I cant remember everything/anything about them

But ill hafta start re-watchin more often

and its true as Deleted User said about the mood your in, thats a big factor

Advertisement