Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Springer spaniel - free to good home

• 26-01-2009 4:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

4 year old springer spaniel bitch looking for a new home. Good home only. She is liver & white, but the dominant colour is white. She is currently used as a working dog, but is too nervous in certain circumstances. She is not gun shy. Lovely dog but owner does not want to hold onto her when he cannot use her.

PM me for details.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Síle28

Shouldn't this be in the pets/animals forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thank you for your advice Sile, she is already in the animals forum for a pet home. However, she can go to a working home if I can find the right one. The animals forum is for pets only. I also checked with a mod before posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Síle28

Oh in that case apologies ;) Just wanted to make sure the right people saw it, they are a lovely breed of dog

Yeah I know what you mean. I have never tried to rehome to a working home before, but the owner of the dog thinks she would be happy going somewhere she will be kept active, and I suppose he knows her best. She's 4 now and is used to long days out with him. I would love to see her go to a home where she would be a house dog who gets to go out hunting or just long walks off lead too. :) But I don't know if such homes exist. The dogs I know are either pets or workers. Not both. I think there is this myth that house dogs are "soft", it could be true, I don't know.

In fact, if the hunters here think that a dog can't be both, can you let me know please. Maybe I'm hoping for too much. :)

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭J.R.

Helena,
    I've a cocker spaniel in centre of Dublin city who is a house pet, childrens pet and a brilliant working dog. Never any problems - the dog easily adjusts to the different circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Tradition has it that working gundogs aren't kept indoors. Most people would have their gundog in suitable accomodation outside ( big doghouse and run ).
    Having said that, most gun dog breeds in my experience are great "dual purpose" dogs : hunter and pet but often a bit too highly strung to be kept indoors only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 snelltrading

how are you doing my name is steven live down in arklow shooting every weekend have my eye out for a dog wat she like have a fram so planty of space have another spainel and big family so she be well looked after and well fed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Good to see you are trying to house the dog where it will be happy and springers love to hunt.

I dont think there is such a thing as a timid or shy gun dog. My brother and I have a dog that was given to us because he was useless/gun shy and too timid.

We have that dog working brilliant, he wont win an Field trial but he can hunt and retrieve and is steady to shot. This type of dog is given up on too easy and if someone has the time and wants a very rewarding and loyal dog go for it. By the way i dont think it matters where you house the dog, all my dogs have been and will be half and halfs, sneak in on occassion but sleep in the run

Good to see you are trying to house the dog where it will be happy and springers love to hunt.
    Thanks
    I dont think there is such a thing as a timid or shy gun dog. My brother and I have a dog that was given to us because he was useless/gun shy and too timid.

We have that dog working brilliant, he wont win an Field trial but he can hunt and retrieve and is steady to shot. This type of dog is given up on too easy and if someone has the time and wants a very rewarding and loyal dog go for it.
    The owner of the dog is actually a very experienced trainer. The dog is not gunshy. She is timid. There is definately such thing as a timid dog then there are little brats like mine who don't have a timid bone in their bodies. :p She is scared in very specific circumstances, unfortunately the very circumstances she's needed for :D
    By the way i dont think it matters where you house the dog, all my dogs have been and will be half and halfs, sneak in on occassion but sleep in the run
    Yes, if the dogs get in every now and again, or are not just left out all the time. But you can't guarantee that when you're rehoming dogs, so i prefer to see any dog I rehome going to an indoor home. One less concern.

Someone contacted me thanks to boards, sounds like a very very suitable home. Better than I could have hoped for. So hopefully when they meet they will like each other and it will all work out. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Did you get a home for the springer , my shooting partner is looking for one with the basics and he will take it from there.

Have one my self and very well looked after, my spaniel even has a light in her kennell, one of the wifes solar from the garden looked the place all week , and cleaning out the kennells today there it was.

• Advertisement

Hi Mac, yes, I got a response from a man who has a family home for the right dog, he has an older dog and wants company for her. Large open space, regulart long walks - Sounds pretty ideal, I've passed his details on to the owner and he will be in contact. As far as I know there will be a trial as the home has kiddies and obviously we have to make sure she's ok with them. If it doesn't work out I'll get back to you of thats ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

thats sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 codino

Hi. I am interested in the Springer Spaniel if she's still available. email: <SNIP>. Thank you very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭vermin hunter

a friend of mine is lookin for a home for his 3 yr old springer were in meath if yor interested pm me if u want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 realgem19

I've got spaniels (working cockers) that are both good hunting dogs and house dogs.
    Just takes a little work plenty of steady(sit, hup, down) work and patience but it can be done and makes for a better working dog too. They work for you because they want to
    ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cathy48

Hi Just Wondering have you still the dogs , we are looking to give a dog a good home , my partner is semi retired and would love a dog he can go walking with , he loves animals , please let me know , thanks for your time Cathy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭vermin hunter

how you doing cathy we still have a springer looking for a good home pm me if you would like more info and a phone number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 beverleyanne

Please could you let me know if you have managed to rehome your spaniel. If not I would be very interested. We have one 5 year old springer spaniel who works on picking up on the shoots during the winter and would like to have a further dog to help her out. Our dog lives in the house with us and is treated like a princess and the same would go for any other dog that we have. Our dog also has a minimum of 1 1/2 hours exercise every day without fail.

Please let me know.

[MOD EDIT]
    Removed personal e-mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Old thread resurrected, so I suspect the dog in question has long since found a home.

If anyone wishes to follow up on this, please do so by PM, or start a new thread.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement