Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mickey Rourke's IRA tattoo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Does he know what IRA stands for and what it means?

Off topic: I wonder if many people who get Asian characters on their arms and backs know what they mean?

There is the generic stamp tatoo on the lower back that women seem partial to....many being Asian characters in origin. I wonder how many of these tatoos mean what the tatooee (lovely word) thinks they mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

"He's catholic and sports a IRA tatoo"..

Rephrase " He's a muppet who supports murdering scumbags"
    Probably hasn't a fcukin clue what the tatoo means..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Does he know what IRA stands for and what it means?

Having spent considerable time in West Belfast in the 80's, it's a fair guess that he does.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093771/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

"He's catholic and sports a IRA tatoo"..

I support murdering scumbags. Does that make me evil? Nobody likes a scumbag, except maybe a scumbag.

I'd be amazed if that Thick Mickey can spell IRA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Or he could be one of those idiots who believes in the IRA's cause

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Or he could be one of those idiots who believes in the IRA's cause

like yer man about you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    Having spent considerable time in West Belfast in the 80's, it's a fair guess that he does.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093771/

Ah...a man battling demons.

That film might be a laugh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Ah...a man battling demons.

That film might be a laugh.

Wasn't funny for America when they got Bush battling his! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭vestanpance

There is the generic stamp tatoo on the lower back that women seem partial to....many being Asian characters in origin. I wonder how many of these tatoos mean what the tatooee (lovely word) thinks they mean?

I believe that's a tramp stamp, there was a thread about these not too long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Mickey why do you have a dude's name tattooed on your arm?

Eh... no... that's not Ira. That's um I.R.A. you know like Richard Gere in The Jackal. /phew

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It probably says No War In Iraq but he's got so fat, the other letters are hidden in folds of skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Was he in a film about the IRA in the mid 80's? Maybe that's it!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

I believe he openly supported Sinn Fein and the IRA. I have also read that one of my favourite actors Sean Penn supported them as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

feck some people get their knickers in a twist over the smallest of things. Its his body if he wants a tattoo he gets one. He dont have to prove to anyone what he does or doesnt know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Good man himself. And he's a great actor.

A prayer for the dying, couldn't think of the name. Wasn't bad considering.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/prayer_for_the_dying/

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

dlofnep wrote: »
    Good man himself. And he's a great actor.

Stop trolling.
    "great actor"= clearly a trolling. Down with that sort of thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Seanies32 wrote: »
    Was he in a film about the IRA in the mid 80's? Maybe that's it!

It is and he regrets the tatoo now. He got too into the role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

alison doody
    fap
    what ever happend to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,980 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

So what is the tattoo? Is it a head with a finger in each ear?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

http://www.hecklerspray.com/rose-mcgowan-hearts-the-ira/200816090.php

Rose McGowan says Chucky Our Law!

I think the funniest part of it all is that a lot of Americans seem to still think Sinn Féin are some radical left-wing organisation, and not the "If you don't like the thing about corpo-tax we'll get yer one who used to be in Fianna Fail to tipex it out" talkshop they became. You often hear mention of 'supporting the Irish struggle' from European and American leftists, there's not much of a struggle to support beyond a few dissidents failing terror 101. The IRA are spoken of in very real,modern terms.

John Lennon once carried a placard that read "Victory to the IRA Against British Imperialism!" and donated money to NORAID, which raised money for Irish Republicans engaged in activity against the British state. I think its important you look at the difference in context between then and now, thats what makes Mickey Rourke a fool and Lennons support understandabe, with 'politically agreeable' being another debate in itself.

alison doody
    fap
    what ever happend to her.

God, that was a long time ago - probably changed her name to Doddery and gets to grip with a Zimmer-frame these days.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

lennon went waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay left, supported all sorts of outrageous things

PrivateEye wrote: »

thats what makes Mickey Rourke a fool and Lennons support understandabe, with 'politically agreeable' being another debate in itself.

But Mickey Rourke has been punched in the head quite a few times. Perhaps he's a bit slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

No harm in supporting the cause.
    Supporting hte means is another thing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 pogmotoe

steo87 wrote: »
    Apparently he has an IRA tattoo....why?

Anyway, does anyone know what the tattoo is like, pictures etc? Tried searching the net to see what it looks like but no luck.

Source: http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/article1162601.ece
    tis a phoenix rising from the flames

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

And whats so bad about supporting the IRA back in the 70's and 80's?

Would you prefer if he supported the British government back then instead? Maybe he looked into it but wasn't interested in supporting state sponsored killings and an appalling lack of basic human rights for the Catholic population of the six counties.

Maybe he got the tattoo because he didn't think it was right that an Empire could just illegally invade a country and force their customs and laws on the people who lived there for generations and he wanted to support the organisations that were fighting against this immoral enslavement of a proud country and its people.

Just a thought....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

MIDDLE GROUND

Would you prefer if he supported the British government back then instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭petrochemical

Would you prefer if he supported the British government back then instead? Maybe he looked into it but wasn't interested in supporting state sponsored killings and an appalling lack of basic human rights for the Catholic population of the six counties.

Maybe he got the tattoo because he didn't think it was right that an Empire could just illegally invade a country and force their customs and laws on the people who lived there for generations and he wanted to support the organisations that were fighting against this immoral enslavement of a proud country and its people.

Just a thought....

The "lack of basic human rights" is a bullsht myth. The catholics and the protestants coexisted peacefully until Bernadette Devlin & co. started spouting hate and creating trouble out of thin air. There was some preference in housing and jobs and some gerrymandering in elections but nothing that couldn't have been resolved peacefully. The IRA are, and were, scumbag gangsters who brutally tortured and murdered countless innocent people, and ruined peoples lives, and all for nothing. And you dare to support them?

Also most Irish were happy to consider themselves British until 1916. Many gladly went off and fought in WW1. Indeed many went in WW2 also, out of a retained loyalty. By 1916 the people of Ireland were considered part of the Empire, and were by no means "immorally enslaved".

• Advertisement

Just a thought....

Facepalm moment.
    The "lack of basic human rights" is a bullsht myth. The catholics and the protestants coexisted peacefully until Bernadette Devlin & co. started spouting hate and creating trouble out of thin air. There was some preference in housing and jobs and some gerrymandering in elections but nothing that couldn't have been resolved peacefully. The IRA are, and were, scumbag gangsters who brutally tortured and murdered countless innocent people, and ruined peoples lives, and all for nothing. And you dare to support them?

Also most Irish were happy to consider themselves British until 1916. Many gladly went off and fought in WW1. Indeed many went in WW2 also, out of a retained loyalty. By 1916 the people of Ireland were considered part of the Empire, and were by no means "immorally enslaved".

Ditto.

YEP, Alyson was fine, especially as a Nazi!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement