Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-12-2008, 16:56   #1
bamboozle

Cost to Rewire a house??

Any sparks out there?
1200 square foot house in Dublin, got quote of 7.5k to rewire it? am i right in thinking this is far too high?
Advertisement
08-12-2008, 17:57   #2
muffler

This is probably better off in the DIY forum.

Moved from Construction & Planning.

Edit: On second thoughts I'll move it to the electrical forum

Last edited by muffler; 08-12-2008 at 18:00.
08-12-2008, 18:06   #3
fishdog

Quote:
Any sparks out there?
1200 square foot house in Dublin, got quote of 7.5k to rewire it? am i right in thinking this is far too high?
Inpossible to answer without alot more detail. If I had to guess I would say no it is not too high.

Details required would be stuff like:
1) Is the house wooden frame or block?
2) How many points and what type (ie sockets, lights, cooker, shower, electric heating, gas boiler, stats, phone points, network points, satallite TV, down lighters)
3) How many floors in the house???
4) Is the ESB meter outside?
5) Is it to be wired for an alarm??
6) What type of 2nd fix equipment (sockets etc) are you going for??
19-12-2008, 12:15   #4
oxygen

I got a quote for a biggish house, mostly stone, wired for an alarm, but the alarm wont be fitted. This cost 3,7k. I think 7.5k is way to high, I would get another quote
20-12-2008, 09:25   #5
fishdog

Quote:
I got a quote for a biggish house, mostly stone, wired for an alarm, but the alarm wont be fitted. This cost 3,7k. I think 7.5k is way to high
7.5k could be a great price! Not enough information has been given to have any idea at all. I wired a house once and the light fittings alone cost more than €7.5k

With the information given it is a bit like saying "I have been offered a car for €10k, is that a good price?"
Advertisement
20-12-2008, 09:32   #6
samhail

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygen View Post
I got a quote for a biggish house, mostly stone, wired for an alarm, but the alarm wont be fitted. This cost 3,7k. I think 7.5k is way to high, I would get another quote
you can get wireless alarms you know
http://www.budgetcostalarms.ie/wireless.htm
20-12-2008, 16:13   #7
fishdog

Wireless alarms are what you install if you have no wiring in for an alarm and decide you really would like an alarm. Hard wired alarms are superior to wireless for several reasons. This is why there is a market for hard wired systems.

If you know you will want an alarm system and you have the opportunity, you really should get the wiring in for it.

This is why Eircom PhoneWatch (Ireland’s largest installers of wireless alarms) will not install a wireless system if the wiring is there for a hard wired alarm.

Last edited by fishdog; 20-12-2008 at 16:16.
20-12-2008, 16:20   #8
Davy
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdog View Post
This is why Eircom PhoneWatch (Ireland’s largest installers of wireless alarms) will not install a wireless system if the wiring is there for a hard wired alarm.
Never heard they wont install in this scenario. Even a new build where the builder has installed everything but the panel and sensors lets say, but the owner wants Phone watch for whatever reason they wont install it?
20-12-2008, 17:06   #9
fishdog

Quote:
Sorry I worded that badly! They will install what ever you like, but if the wiring is in place they would rather use their hardwired system (HKC from what I have seen) rather than their wireless system.

I was wiring a house once and the customer wanted a PhoneWatch system. When Eircom people arrived on site and saw the entire house was being gutted and rewired they asked me to wire for a HKC hard wired system (and in the end a HKC system went in).

Quote:
the owner wants Phone watch for whatever reason they wont install it?
PhoneWatch can be wired or wireless!
I guess they will install a wireless if you insist, but why would you want wireless if you have the wires in place??

Last edited by fishdog; 20-12-2008 at 17:44.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion