Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-10-2008, 18:56   #1
JayeL

N2-N3 link road

Does anyone know what the situation is with the N2-N3 link road? Last I heard (in May), Fingal County Council had approved it and it was going out to tender with a view to starting in September. No sign yet, which is a pity.

It's an important link, which will be able to take traffic from the M50 straight into the east Blanch, Ballycoolin and Tyrellstown areas without having to trawl up the N3 and through Corduff.

From what I've read, it'll go from junction 2 of the N2 to somewhere around Hollystown, diverging into two routes - one to the N3 near Mulhuddart and another to the dual-carriageway near the second phase of Blanchardstown Corporate Park.

It's a great idea that could eventually incorporate another route from junction 2 of the N2 to the airport, giving Blanch (as well as Ashbourne/Ratoath) a direct link to the airport, relieving the M50 of traffic between J6 and J3/4 and making the old N2 (R135) even more redundant (probably for the best, down from 100 to 60km/h limit).
Advertisement
19-11-2008, 20:18   #2
spacetweek

No info, but I'm also anxious to see this proceed. Ballycoolin/Damastown traffic could access the area via the N2 instead of the overloaded N3.
04-03-2012, 18:51   #3
Irish and Proud

Work Well Underway!

I was driving through the M2 Cherryhound Interchange today and noticed that work was well underway on the N2-N3 link towards Blanchardstown - very surprised as there was virtually no talk of it - seriously wasn't expecting to see much there TBH. There's some information (20/07/2011) regarding same on Leo Varadkar's site.

Wonder if anyone can dig out the latest plans for the scheme?

Many Thanks!
Thanks from:
04-03-2012, 19:43   #4
Plowman

This post has been deleted.
Thanks from:
05-03-2012, 11:05   #5
spacetweek

Really amazed this started back in September 2011 and none of us noticed!
Advertisement
05-03-2012, 14:20   #6
Cionád

Can't find any maps for this, did find an old document from 2007 though:

"N4-N3-N2 Link Route: From the N4 Leixlip Interchange directly north to cross the
River Liffey east of Leixlip Village, linking to the existing Ongar Road at Hansfield
west of Blanchardstown, to cross the N3 at an upgraded interchange at
Castaheany. The section from the N3 to the N2 will pass via Damastown and
Tyrellstown to the N2 Cherryhound interchange. Various sections of this route
have received planning approval and are proceeding to construction, while other
sections, such as the N4 link from Hansfield are at conceptual stage only"

5MB pdf: http://www.nra.ie/Publications/Downl...e,16142,en.pdf

Extending this to the N4 would be excellent for toll skipping
05-03-2012, 14:57   #7
Irish and Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cionád View Post
Can't find any maps for this, did find an old document from 2007 though:

"N4-N3-N2 Link Route: From the N4 Leixlip Interchange directly north to cross the
River Liffey east of Leixlip Village, linking to the existing Ongar Road at Hansfield
west of Blanchardstown, to cross the N3 at an upgraded interchange at
Castaheany. The section from the N3 to the N2 will pass via Damastown and
Tyrellstown to the N2 Cherryhound interchange. Various sections of this route
have received planning approval and are proceeding to construction, while other
sections, such as the N4 link from Hansfield are at conceptual stage only"

5MB pdf: http://www.nra.ie/Publications/Downl...e,16142,en.pdf

Extending this to the N4 would be excellent for toll skipping
Don't get your hopes up - I've no doubt that if that bridge is ever built, it will be done so via the PPP mechanism and you know what that means for the motorists using it.
07-03-2012, 17:43   #8
Wild Bill
Banned

I wandered in to some of this work by accident last weekend - was completely unaware of it - it seems a huge project!

You'd imagine with so little going on around the country they'd be giving it some space on the NRA website?

A map? Anything!
07-03-2012, 18:06   #9
Irish and Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
I wandered in to some of this work by accident last weekend - was completely unaware of it - it seems a huge project!

You'd imagine with so little going on around the country they'd be giving it some space on the NRA website?

A map? Anything!
It's nothing to do with the NRA - it's a new Regional Road project by Fingal CC and is likely IMO to be classified as the R121 for now. However, I'm very surprised that there's seemingly nothing about it on Fingal CC's website - even in the Roads section. In fact, it was Leo Varadkers site that tipped me off in the first place before seeking physical evidence at Cherryhound the other day - I seriously did not expect to see much as there wasn't much talk of it. I don't know where I can find a scheme plan though.

Last edited by Irish and Proud; 07-03-2012 at 18:11.
Advertisement
07-03-2012, 23:14   #10
Carawaystick

Is cherry hound the junction with the big roundabout, near Tyrrelstown? out past the Kilshane cross?

Where does the road finish? is it near the plaza hotel in Tyrrelstown or more east?

To be honest, the roads leading to Kilshane cross are desperate and it was madness this route wasn't built when the N2 DC was built.
07-03-2012, 23:44   #11
Irish and Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carawaystick View Post
Is cherry hound the junction with the big roundabout, near Tyrrelstown? out past the Kilshane cross?

Where does the road finish? is it near the plaza hotel in Tyrrelstown or more east?

To be honest, the roads leading to Kilshane cross are desperate and it was madness this route wasn't built when the N2 DC was built.
The Cherryhound Interchange is Jct 2 on the M2 - there's a very large rotary on the lower level and this is where the road will start - from there, it will proceed Southwest before eventually forking to link up with both the Plaza Hotel in Tyrrelstown and the Corduff Road Dual Carriageway near Ballycoolin. Here's a layout of the Tyrrelstown section from Cllr. Kieran Dennison's (FG) website (20/07/2011) and there's information also posted on the local Community Voice website.

Regards!

Last edited by Irish and Proud; 07-03-2012 at 23:46.
(2) thanks from:
08-03-2012, 09:23   #12
Cionád

Is this (roughly) what we're looking at?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg N2-cherrywood.jpg (183.8 KB, 2639 views)
Thanks from:
08-03-2012, 12:58   #13
Irish and Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cionád View Post
Is this (roughly) what we're looking at?

That would be the basic idea of what's to happen there!
08-03-2012, 19:26   #14
Wild Bill
Banned

But where is the existing section at Tyrellstown that they are turning into a dual-carriageway?

(I know this 'cos I saw it!)
08-03-2012, 19:35   #15
Wild Bill
Banned

Quote:
The total cost of the project is €24 million but some €15 million will be recovered from levies imposed on land owners and developers.
There are developers with money in Fingal?

Quote:
The Department of Transport has made the €6 million available to Fingal County Council on condition that it’s spent this year. The funding is being diverted from another road project which has stalled. The landowners have already transferred the lands to the council free of charge.
All this from Kieran Dennison's website.

Not only are there developers with €millions still around north of Blanchardstown but there are farmers who donate land for free!

That must be where those rainbows end

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion