Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Classic Cars Charter, Info & Pics - your suggestions

• 14-08-2008 12:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,719 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Time for a wee summer clean. We had 10 stickies and Max_Damage suggested another sticky for scrap yards in Ireland so that would have been 11. Way too many. Time to save some space on every page for proper classic car threads. From now on we'll try and make do with just 2. The MCD one required on every forum, and the combined new one

Let us know your thoughts / suggestions in this thread and we'll take it on boards :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Nice one. I hated all those stickies. :)

I would suggest displaying in the remaining sticky some basic charter rules for the Classic Car section, rather than just linking to the Motors charter.

This would be only to knock on the head all the "I'm 17 will I get insured on a Mustang" and "My car is a 1987 do I get cheap tax" type thread. So just something along the lines of...

If you have a question about classic insurance please read/search this thread before posting.

Maybe also a few quick lines on dates. i.e VRT/Tax/NCT exempt = 30yrs, cheap insurance = circa 20 yrs, VAT payable on import from outside Europe. There's a few thread to link to as well if necessary.

Just my thoughts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Stickies FTW! :(

They gave the place a nice "lived-in" feel.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Nicely tidied up,theres still everything in the one place,but no stickies taking up space in the forum,its a bit weird without them stickies though!!!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Maybe the 'Today I saw' threads could be stickified, they were the most active. It was handy to click in and see if new posts had gone into them. The resource stickies are grand being linked to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Onkle wrote: »
    Maybe the 'Today I saw' threads could be stickified, they were the most active. It was handy to click in and see if new posts had gone into them. The resource stickies are grand being linked to

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

^+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Im with this too,they were the most active threads,and the most interesting aswell....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Redrocket

Im with this too,they were the most active threads,and the most interesting aswell....:)

+5 (being the 5th to agree)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,719 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Thanks all. Keep the suggestions coming!

@Dades - I've taken on several of your suggestions. About importing a car from outside of the EU (import duties) - I didn't find a good thread to link to. Maybe someone can find a suitable one, or if there ain't one, start a new one?

The "Today I Saw" threads were indeed the most active. I expect them to be continuously on page 1 or at worst, page 2. Especially because the pages are now so much longer without all the stickies :)

At the moment they are thread #4 and thread #5 on the first page.

In the unlikely event they are not in the first few pages, you know they are only one extra click away (via the charter)

But I'm open to re-consider this one, should it not work out the way I think it will (as in the threads disappearing from view)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Agree with Unkel - If the threads are the most active, then there's no need to stickie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

That's fair enough unkel but if you look at those threads you will see a lot of pic/comments made by people with a very low postcount. People who have just stumbled across it and decided to post in the threads.

And to be fair there's probably only 15/20 regular posters in this section and 5 of us have stated above that we'd like those threads stickied :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭mustang68

That's fair enough unkel but if you look at those threads you will see a lot of pic/comments made by people with a very low postcount. People who have just stumbled across it and decided to post in the threads.

I think that this is correct, the moment the "today I saw" threads move a few posts down you'll get people starting new threads. maybe we'll see if that happens first before making them sticky again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

unkel wrote: »
    @Dades - I've taken on several of your suggestions. About importing a car from outside of the EU (import duties) - I didn't find a good thread to link to. Maybe someone can find a suitable one, or if there ain't one, start a new one?
    Kool and the Gang!
    What about this thread for VAT? There's no detail on customs duties though, as nobody seems to know.

I'm waiting to see if people boycott the "Today I saw" threads so that they fall off page one and get stickied! ;)

VAT thread included

As for the "Today I saw" threads - it's early days yet. At some point yesterday they were #3 and #4 on the first page, or as high as non-stickies can get :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Could a sticky to Most popular threads work, with these sub listed in descending order of popularity,i don't know the protocalls, so if this is rubbish suggestion ...sorry

biggus wrote: »
    Could a sticky to Most popular threads work

See the sticky ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

I would like to add to section 4. VRT on your sticky.

As the vrt is charged on CO2 basis, and the CO2 values are mostly un available for classics, the revenue allows a mpg to CO2 conversion via their calculation method.
    However, the mpg values must come from an official source. I know this as I saved myself a good few bob.

Good point, ligertigon

I've added this to section 4.
    However, if you have emissions details for your car from an official source (or even fuel consumption figures from an official source, which can be converted / calculated into emissions figures), you could save yourself some money on VRT when importing your classic car

Advertisement