Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-08-2008, 15:12   #1
stevoman

shooting season

can somewhon please clarify the current irish shooting season for animals. the sticky above seems to be a bit shadey on open seasons im afraid to say. i went into the open seasons section and it sates a few dates i think may be wrong.should we put a sticky of the current irish shooting season dates for us all to see including deer, birds and of course the whole woodpigeon thing. and a list of vermin species aswell.
Advertisement
13-08-2008, 15:30   #2
Vegeta

If someone does the ground work I will throw it into one of the existing stickies
13-08-2008, 16:21   #3
stevoman

i cant seem to find a link on the internet veg. i did find this one veg http://www.irishfieldsports.com/law.htm

Im not sure if it accurate though. is snipe in season from the 1st of september along with duck? if it is great! i know they will be hardly any number but it will be great to run the setter against the odd one that has come in on the way back from the rivers.
13-08-2008, 16:48   #4
J.R.

Yes - that looks right - snipe & jack snipe were always the same as the duck season.

That link to the seaons looks correct but Ruddy Duck was also added to the Duck list - 1 September to 31 January, and pigeon were also added - same season as pheasant & woodcock.

Hare & some deer species will probably finish on the 29th Feb. rather that the 28th as in other years, as it's a leap year, so an extra days shooting for some hunters!
13-08-2008, 16:51   #5
KRICO.22

That might be out of date, didnt think woodies were in season since June.

Slightly off topic here but has anyone here shot Golden Plover before. There is a serious amount of them around my area all season but Ive never bothered with them. Never sure if they are plover or not. The make like a whistling sound.
Advertisement
13-08-2008, 16:57   #6
stevoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
Yes - that looks right - snipe & jack snipe were always the same as the duck season.
mmm - im more excited about the snipe than i am the ducks. thats great news. JR - i have asked this elsewhere before but while your hear do you know if snipe generally migrate. during winter months numbers are great and love to hunt them but this time of year we dont seem to have that many around, or do they spend their "summer" months tucked up in the mountains. I hope the first two months working the snipe this year might crown my setter. a lot of lads say they dont want their setter working snipe, but i say why the hell not. they have large numbers so you dont have to worry too much about their major decline and they are so bloddy hard to shoot. plus its exciting watching the dog work.
13-08-2008, 17:16   #7
J.R.

Snipe

http://www.irishfieldsports.com/gamebirds/snipe.htm

Snipe are resident here - provide some great shooting!

I hunt them with a cocker - works very close to me - and I always hunt them with the wind in my face, that way they will not hear you approaching. If they hear you coming then they will rise 50 - 60 yards out with no chance of a shot.

I use quarter choke with no. 8 or no. 9.

Mark the spot they fall in and pick them up as soon as shot - if wounded they can be impossible to find, cowering down & hiding in any tiny piece of cover, giving off very little scent, but a good dog will find them no problem.

Ther are 2 species of snipe available - the common snipe and the jack snipe (much smaller, shorter bill and a lot scarcer) - but when the bird rises it's nearly impossible to tell which species it is.

COMMON SNIPE

JACK SNIPE

Last edited by J.R.; 13-08-2008 at 17:18.
Thanks from:
11-10-2009, 11:27   #8
Haz33

Found this on Irish Field Sports Website http://www.irishfieldsports.com/law.htm
Hope it is helpful
11-10-2009, 12:07   #9
bunny shooter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRICO.22 View Post

Slightly off topic here but has anyone here shot Golden Plover before. There is a serious amount of them around my area all season but Ive never bothered with them. Never sure if they are plover or not. The make like a whistling sound.
Aren't these protected ? as in no season allocated ?
Advertisement
11-10-2009, 12:12   #10
J.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz33 View Post
Found this on Irish Field Sports Website http://www.irishfieldsports.com/law.htm
Hope it is helpful
This is slightly out of date:

The Ruddy duck is now included with ducks : open from 1st Sept - 31st Jan

Woodpigeon are same as pheasant, woodcock & red-legged partridge: 1st Nov. - 31st Jan
11-10-2009, 12:16   #11
J.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRICO.22 View Post

Golden Plover can be shot - same season as duck
Thanks from:
11-10-2009, 13:27   #12
bunny shooter
Banned

Anyone got the printed list of this years seasons ?

Normally in Shooters Digest ?

Is Curlew off the list this year? usually on it from Nov 1st - 31st

Sill outstanding on my quarry list

Last edited by bunny shooter; 11-10-2009 at 13:29.
11-10-2009, 18:09   #13
J.R.

Shooting Season 2009 - 2010
Attached Files
File Type: doc NATIONAL PARKS AND WILDLIFE 2009-2010 SHOOTING SEASONS.doc (47.5 KB, 1218 views)
(3) thanks from:
11-10-2009, 18:17   #14
bunny shooter
Banned

Wonder if this will be the year I shoot a Curlew

They are due around my way soonish BUT they usuually disappear for their season
11-10-2009, 19:27   #15
vermin hunter

if your protecting crops you can shoot woodies all year round if you go onto the nargc website it will explain it and how you can shoot over syubbles once your protecting

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion