Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto GP

Options
  • 20-07-2008 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭

Just after the best race in years, a ding dong battle with Valentino Rossi and Kacey Stoner. Wow what a race, Stoner crashed giving Rossi the win but still got 2nd himself after a battle to the death, swapping first at least 6 or seven times throughout the race. Rossi was too good, and only some loose gravel on the track and poor braking could stop Stoner

Wow what a race:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭RAUL DUKE

Yep,an amazing race.them first 6 laps were unbelievable,great battle!Rossi was outstanding once again.

And another spectacular crash by lorenzo,looks like he's broke a bone in his foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Yeh, lucky he had that helmet on too or permanent brain damage with that smack on the tar.

See Rossi kiss the spot where Kacey crashed after the race? What a character. I was a bit peeved with Kacey falling back - I wanted it to go right to the last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Yeah i watched it in a friends house earlier, great race :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,036 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I was a bit peeved with Kacey falling back - I wanted it to go right to the last.

was a pity the battle ended there as it seemed to be building to a exciting ending

great racing by both drivers, rossi was lucky to get away with his mistake in the corkscrew

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭RAUL DUKE

casey made a bit of an ass out of himself at the end with comments about rossi,grow up man!Its moto gp ffs.you were beaten fair and square.

• Advertisement

Yeah, think he still would've won. The track gave no space for the Ducati's power to run, and Rossi's composure & experience would've prevailed.

RAUL DUKE wrote: »
    casey made a bit of an ass out of himself at the end with comments about rossi,grow up man!Its moto gp ffs.you were beaten fair and square.

Yeah, but at least he admitted it was his own fault that lost him the race. 25 points between them now, Kacey needs to win the next 5 to equal, suggesting Rossi comes 2nd each time.

The commentators on Eurosport make it o so much better too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Brilliant stuff watching it again on rte now. I wish it continued till the end there would have been another one or two class overtakes but I had a feeling one of them would bin it, at first i thought rossi might have break tested stoner but he said it was his fault after the race.
    See Rossi kiss the spot where Kacey crashed after the race? What a character. I was a bit peeved with Kacey falling back - I wanted it to go right to the last.
    I thought he was kissing the corkscrew corner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

yep he stopped at the cork screw were he nearly fell off and kissed the track

as a rossi fan im ecstacic he won because i really thought stoner was gona win by ten or twelve seconds but hats off to rossi the man is a genius what a race simply amazing

Sorry, I noticed some dirt on the track so assumed it's the spot of gravel where Stoner ran into ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Incredible Racing...how all motorsport should be; tooth & nail fighting (to the end)!

Yeah, I was surprised there wasn't a topic already on this, and that Moto GP didn't have it's own forum! Guess there isn't a lot of Moto GP fans on here. Much prefer it to the F1, too stop start and slow. Watch some real racing with nail biting head-to-heads where racers risk injuries by even passing another rider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

RAUL DUKE wrote: »

Have to agree with you there. Up until recently I've quite liked Stoner but lately he's been starting to annoy me (and many others, by all accounts) with his constant whinging and complaining. He's starting to get a reputation for being a bit of a Mansell / Alonso style character at this stage; a great rider who, when he's really on it as he's shown the previous few races, is virtually unbeatable but, when things are going wrong for him (either with his bike or his setup or having to race hard against someone else as he did this weekend against Rossi) he starts moaning and complaining or trying to blame everybody else. Rossi doesn't seem to do that, he just gets out there, gets his head down and gets on with the job and races as hard as he can. And I think that's another of the many reasons why Rossi is so popular and well-liked.

As RAUL DUKE said, Stoner needs to quit moaning and whinging and giving out about how difficult Rossi was making it for him to get past and just grow up and do the job. I didn't see anything wrong with what Rossi was doing on Sunday, he was defending his position perfectly legally and it's up to Stoner to try and get past because Rossi isn't there to make things easy for him and hand the place to him on a plate. From what I saw of when Stoner went down, it looked to me that he simply ran too deep going into the last corner all on his own rather than Rossi "brake testing" him or braking too early.

And Eire-Dearg is so right, the Eurosport team are without a doubt the best in the business and make the races even more entertaining to watch. Going to be such a shame to not have them around next year. We can only live in hope that the BBC brings Toby, Jules and Randy over next year as part of their coverage but, for some reason, I doubt it. They'll probably stick with Charlie "Mr. Cheesey Puns Galore" Cox and Steve "I used to be Barry Sheane's teammate back in the 70's, don't you know. Did I mention that already? Yes? Well, I'd better mention it again so, just in case you might have forgotten already" Parrish! :rolleyes:

What coverage on Eurosport is ending? No!
    I switch over to BBC during the Eurosport breaks, and the two minutes their gone you nearly begin to miss their excitement and conversations. Toby is the best no doubt, and I love when Jules comes in with his little fact about times and such, and Randy is great too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Great performance from vale, especially considering stoner had a half a second on him all weekend. It's a damn good racer that can win a race on a slower bike. If stoner had a single chance to get away and establish a rhythm, he's have disappeared up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

What coverage on Eurosport is ending? No!
    I switch over to BBC during the Eurosport breaks, and the two minutes their gone you nearly begin to miss their excitement and conversations. Toby is the best no doubt, and I love when Jules comes in with his little fact about times and such, and Randy is great too.

Yep, it was announced about a month ago that Dorna (who control the rights to MotoGP coverage) wouldn't be renewing Eurosport's contract for next year. They're looking for each individual country to broadcast MotoGP on a terrestrially available channel next year and the BBC are going to be the broadcasters for the UK (I presume if RTE decides to renew, and can afford to do so, they'll continue to be the Irish broadcaster).

It's an absolute disgrace, in my opinion, because Eurosport, and the Toby/Jules (and Dennis Noyes before him)/Randy combination in particular, have done an amazing job over the years and are the main reason MotoGP has become so popular and viewed by so many people. There's even an online petition to try and get Dorna to change their minds but, as is usually the case with online petitions, I can't see it having any effect unfortunately.

So, next year we're going to be stuck with either Peter Collins/Eddie Laycock (sweet merciful Jebus, help us! :rolleyes:) or Charlie Cox/Steve Parrish (cheesey puns galore and overall coverage so cheesey it would put an industrial-sized block of Kilmeaden to shame! :D). Add in the fact that F1 is going back to the BBC next year, which will take priority, and I can see any clashing MotoGP races pushed back to delayed highlights or bumped to behind the red button. Not to mention the fact BBC don't even show the 125 and 250 races live on their main channel, only behind the red button. So, overall, the quality of coverage we've come to expect and enjoy over the years from watching Eurosport is going to be severely reduced with this idiotic move by Dorna.

As I said earlier, fingers crossed the BBC at least bring Toby, Jules and Randy over as part of their coverage but I can't see it happening for some reason unfortunately. :(

I can't see that happening.

However, we could post that petition here and get as many people as possible to sign it, or start a new one to get BBC to sign up Randy/Jules/Toby to the team. MotoGP would never be the same without that trio.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

Great race between Rossi & Stoner. Both of them had red mist moments and f**k the championship but then they calmed down a bit. Stoner could have taken Rossi out so easily but missed him thankfully, it was unfortunate as it would have made for a brilliant climax. More to come I'm sure later in the season.
    A bit of concern that they were so far ahead of the rest of the field, Vermeulen did well for third though.

Had to watch the race on RTE, bear's no comparison to Eurosports coverage.
    Anyone know if the BBC have to televise 125 & 250's? It would seem a bad move not to feature the feeder classes the way Eurosport does currently.

I seriously doubt it mate. Unlike Eurosport it wouldn't have the time to show all 125 & 250cc races plus the main race. Plus qualifying. Like Aidan said expect it on BBCi red button which would be a pain for those without that service. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Joe Gt

was a fantastic race between the two of them , poor stoner was a bit annoyed at the interview at the end , bet by the better man on the day , hope Rossi gets on the front row for next race

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Lets hope Brno will be just as good. Is anyone heading over, i'll be there:D

Advertisement