Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

economics grinds

Options
  • 07-07-2008 9:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

going into 2nd year economics, does anyone know of anybody who gives really good grinds?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

What areas are you having trouble with? You may want to rethink economics as your subject choice if you had a lot of difficulties in first year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭rotten_eggz

Originally posted by UCD_Econ
    What areas are you having trouble with? You may want to rethink economics as your subject choice if you had a lot of difficulties in first year.

Listen to this person, I wish I had properly looked up what doing Economics involved beyond first year. I got a B1 in honours Leaving Cert Economics and found 1st year Economics fairly easy and still failed four out of five of the second year modules this year at the first attempt. You really want to be sh*thot at Maths particularly if you are taking it on past first

Incidentally I know this is off topic but I need to know what are the most theory based/least Maths based third year Economics modules? Thankfully you are given a carte blanche and can pick any second or third year modules as long as three are third year ones. I was told to definately do Health Economics and Economic History but does anyone know which 3rd year modules are the most theory based? Ones with essays instead of MCQs for mid semester assessment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Tan Princess

Listen to this person, I wish I had properly looked up what doing Economics involved beyond first year. I got a B1 in honours Leaving Cert Economics and found 1st year Economics fairly easy and still failed four out of five of the second year modules this year at the first attempt. You really want to be sh*thot at Maths particularly if you are taking it on past first

Incidentally I know this is off topic but I need to know what are the most theory based/least Maths based third year Economics modules? Thankfully you are given a carte blanche and can pick any second or third year modules as long as three are third year ones. I was told to definately do Health Economics and Economic History but does anyone know which 3rd year modules are the most theory based? Ones with essays instead of MCQs for mid semester assessment?
    Health is great and Paul Devereux course on Human Behaviour is good and also transport and urban and regional are handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

If Irish economy with joseph durkan is still going , have a look at that.

BTW there will be weekly tutorials this year in economics for micro/macro/stats/quats etc so you proberly wont need grinds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 benb

well i'm coming from arts, got in through the extra 20 places on offer. haven't really pushed myself but now that its a single subject major i want to really work hard. i'm not great at the maths side but i did pass quants without really trying to hard... i'm good at the theory side of things, found economics and society very easy and micro and macro were ok. what subjects do we do in 2nd year?? i've heard of some guy called brady or something like that, heard he's good... i probablyh will go to tutorials but i would find one on one work far more beneficial

• Advertisement

Wait, you're having difficulties but you chose SSM Econ? That requires you to take Quants & Stats this year and Econometrics in year three. If you just scraped a pass in first year quants then you're going to have to work. Not saying that you can't do it, though.

The higher the level you go, the more maths based it will get. Here's a link to SSM Economics subjects. Start from week one, stare at something long enough and it will eventually make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

Third year was mostly maths but it's really quite easy maths. If you're going to be getting grinds, consider picking some maths subjects and just work at them, if you put enough time in it should just click. It's much easier to do good in maths subjects than in theory ones.

Brady does give very good grinds in the main subjects. If you post the subjects you're thinking of i might know some people who might be interested in giving grinds.

also, UCD_ECON, i'm not sure thats still the case, they're changing the core modules for mode 1 this year and they seem to be making the quants courses options. Not a good thing to do imo, but i dont run the place.

gerry87 wrote: »
    also, UCD_ECON, i'm not sure thats still the case, they're changing the core modules for mode 1 this year and they seem to be making the quants courses options. Not a good thing to do imo, but i dont run the place.
    Yeah they did for year three. Mode I core for year two didn't change. They just removed Quants and Econometrics II from core in year three. I agree that it isn't a good thing to do, just like they dumbed down 1st year quants in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I did International Trade Econ last year and didn't find it too maths based.

thanks guys.. i knew what the core subjects were but wasn't sure on the options subjects. what would you guys reccomend for my option subject.. i have a fair idea considering i'm more of a theory based person. what is easiest etc? do we pick our subjects when we register in august ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DiscoHugh

benb wrote: »
    thanks guys.. i knew what the core subjects were but wasn't sure on the options subjects. what would you guys reccomend for my option subject.. i have a fair idea considering i'm more of a theory based person. what is easiest etc? do we pick our subjects when we register in august ?

It's probably changed since my time (<===that makes me feel old :eek: )
    What with modularisation

But for final year if you're looking to avoid maths and do essay type questions in the exams Transport Economics and I think International and Labour economics (didn't do it) would suit.
    Health Economics has some basic maths but nothing to tricky with Development being a bit more tricky imo.

Also as others have said it's easier to score high in maths based subjects if you know what you're about. Sure you can waffle your way to a high 2:2 in the essay based ones but it's hard to get the really high grades from what I saw.

As for Brady I always thought he was more for crash course/cramming in the weeks coming up to the exam as opposed to grinds year round. I know ppl who used him for stats and micro.... his notes were gold dust back in the day.I never bothered though as I found Paul Deveraux to be very good.

benb wrote: »
    If I were you I'd pick the following for level two:

Semester one:
    Micro
    Stats for Economists
    History of Economic thought
    Irish Economy
    Millenium development goals

Semester two:

Macro
    Quants
    Economic history
    Labour Economics
    European Economy

The ones in bold are core. Avoid game theory if you have an aversion to maths.

thanks guys, you've been very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

I just finished arts in UCD but I did a couple of electives in the economics department that were fairly easy - managed to get As in both of them.

Economics of European Integration and Urban and Regional Economics and I also heard from some people that were in urban and regional economics that transport economics was fairly easy as well especially if you had done urban and regional but I guess it depends on what you are interested in.

Advertisement