Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais - complaint

Options
  • 02-07-2008 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

If you wanted to make a complaint to bord gais, is there a regulator or someone you can complain to (not bord bais). I got this email there after paying €200 deposit and enquiring about their policy for giving back the deposit. I am a renter, so in a few months will not be living in the same place, let alone know if I will have gas heating. I asked specifically on the phone to their rep, and he made it as easy as “well you ring bord gais and provided all bills are paid, you get the €200 back”. So am I to just forfeit the €200?
    Can anyone help?

Dear X

Thank you for contacting Bord Gáis Energy supply.

In relation to the below email, I can now confirm than the policy is currently under review but at present our customers may seek a refund of their
    deposit after 18 bills. This is provided the customer has paid the 18 bills in accordance with our credit terms. Full bill must be paid within 14 days of issue dates.

Please do not hesitate to contact our accounts department on 1850-632-632 or at info@bordgais.ie should you require any further assistance regarding this matter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I presume that 18 bill limit is for current customers who intend to be still with them.
    I'd imagine you'll get your deposit back at the final bill if your leaving the contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

dellas1979 wrote: »
    If you wanted to make a complaint to bord gais, is there a regulator or someone you can complain to (not bord bais). I got this email

Have you actually talked to somebody in Board Gais about this. Talked to somebody senior and explained your situation? I doubt any regulator or complaints board would be happy to see you comaing if all you have done to resolve your problem is emailed them. As whiskeyman points out there may be a different interpretation on the email.

It's good to talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Dear X

Thank you for contacting Bord Gáis Energy supply.

In relation to the below email, I can now confirm than the policy is currently under review but at present our customers may seek a refund of their deposit after 18 bills. This is provided the customer has paid the 18 bills in accordance with our credit terms. Full bill must be paid within 14 days of issue dates.

Please do not hesitate to contact our accounts department on 1850-632-632 or at info@bordgais.ie should you require any further assistance regarding this matter.

I agree ring them and ask to speak to a manager.

I think they refund it when you leave or if you get a guarantor otherwise it may be after the 18 bills - but hope they pay the interest on that! If not complain. This may be different but when I was in Australia and you paid your deposit on renting a flat this deposit was sent to a Bond Agency who held onto it until you were leaving and both landlord and tenants were in agreement. They you were refunded your deposit AND any interest. Actually come to think of it the same should happen here for renters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Yeah, renters have no rights - honestly. Its such a hassle these days to try and organise anything.

Yes (*sigh*), I have spoken to them on the phone and they could tell me nothing except "its policy........" but yet when asked "but what is the policy?" they couldnt answer.

So I emailed them to find out what the actual policy was (had a feeling the rep on the phone didnt have a clue) and got that back. I figure it is better to have a paper chain as at least this way I can prove what they are saying to me.

Anways, that is not what the rep said. So in effect I entered in to an agreement under false pretences. All I want to know if there is someone out there who has ever had to complain about Bord Gais to some regulator and who the regulator is. I am quite willing to go to small claims court etc when the time comes to try and get the €200 back. I mean, what would you do if some company, who you have to go with because there are no other gas companies out there said "shur we are going to hold on to your deposit, despite you paying your bills".....come on like.

Do you think that that is fair? Or makes sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

What is your issue here?

When you leave the property, and have paid your gas bills, you will get your €200 back.

Once you have paid the 18 bills you'll get it back also (if sooner than you moving to a non gas accommodation).

Yes, €200 is excessive, but I don't see anywhere where you have to "forfeit" your deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

This comes up a lot I think,
    AFAIK you get it back when you close your account, when you're leaving :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

While i can understand the need for security deposits for rented accommodation it seems they are also requesting it for some applicants who are homeowners. Their policy surrounding payment and return is very vague and should be challenged.

3 years is not an acceptable length of time to hold a security deposit for a customer without an annual review IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,250 ✭✭✭✭Victor

faceman wrote: »
    3 years is not an acceptable length of time to hold a security deposit for a customer without an annual review IMO.
    They get stung with too many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Victor wrote: »
    They get stung with too many people.
    Aye. we've seen threads in here from Landlords and new Tenants being dumped with huge bills from previous occupants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 axecaluber

My boiler gave up the ghost on Thursday (27/11/2008) and I called Board Gais on Friday (28/11/2008) to schedule a service. They advised that they can only get someone to come and look at it on Monday (1/12/2008) leaving me, my wife and our 5 Month Old Baby daughter in the freezing apartment over a weekend. Monday finally here got the chap to come and look at the boiler. Scratching his head while looking at a manual seemingly determined that it was the gas valve to be faulty. I got a call later that evening from Board Gais parts supplier stating that they don’t have the part in-stock and expecting 2-3 Days to deliver also that the Cost for the part is around €350. I agreed to pay this but begged them to get this done as soon as possible because I have a 5 month old daughter in a freezing apartment. Promises has been made but 2-3 days later of calling them for an update I was only advised that the part is in back order and that we will see any repairs is sometime between the 8th of December and the 12th (Another Week without warm water and no heating). Taking matters in my own hands I called Tony from BGS it did not take him long to determine what the problem was. I even went and purchased the Part from Davies in Coolock the same day (€190 it cost Me). Now we have a working Boiler no thanks to the “Engineers” at Board Gais

Now the question is If I can get this done in the Same day for the life of me why can't Board Gais do the same :confused::confused:
    Now they want to charge me for a Service they could not provide. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭In$omniac

That deposit is classed as a bond, I am also in rented accomodation and when I moved in over 2 year ago I had to pay them a €400 bond and it reduced down my following 2 bills that's how mine was worked out!

If you don't see it come off your bill's then at the end on the back of your gas bill there is a contact for the complaints regulator, give them a shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jamar

I moved house after 10 months, and was refunded this deposit. It's annoying, and is imposed on all new customers afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I think if you set up direct debit no deposit is taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭In$omniac

If your in rented accomodation you have to pay a deposit, regardless as to how you intend on paying your bills, as I set up a direct debit.
    At least that is what I was told when I set up my account with them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

No, it's €200 if you set up DD, €400 without the DD

I was told over the phone that when I finish the contract (ie, move out and all bills settles) I will get my 200notes back.

Advertisement