Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-07-2008, 18:46   #1
sue97

Level 7 to Level 8 degree

Hi

I did a diploma back in the 90's and then another two years to a pass degree.

Still waiting for Trinity to confirm but it looks like my degree is now considered a level 7 degree.

I want to do a post-grad that needs a level 8 degree to be considered.

Was talking to my sister in law and she thinks there are courses one can do to progress from a level 7 to level 8 degree.

Anyone know of any of these. Its a business and IT degree.

Thanks
Advertisement
01-07-2008, 21:04   #2
Tom Dunne
Don't bring me down, Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue97 View Post
Was talking to my sister in law and she thinks there are courses one can do to progress from a level 7 to level 8 degree.
Absolutely. Most, if not all, Institutes of Technology operate this way - you do a Level 7 Ordinary degree, then another year for a Level 8 (honours) degree.

Find your nearest IT.
02-07-2008, 14:46   #3
sue97

Thanks Tom

Will check their websites
02-07-2008, 14:48   #4
sue97

Thanks Tom

Will check their websites. Just one other question, are there standalone modules I could cover or do I have to continue the degree.

I have not worked in IT in years and the Internet was called the Super Highway last time I was in College
04-07-2008, 23:29   #5
eth0_

You could also try the Open University (www.open.ac.uk), they would use your level 7 degree as a credit transfer so you could get an honours degree in around a year.
Advertisement
05-03-2009, 18:18   #6
el_gaucho

does anyone know where i can see a list of what degree/diploma corresponds to what level? for example i have a Bachelor of Arts from the UK. i think it's a level 7 but not sure. searched online but can't find anything.
08-03-2009, 14:46   #7
sue97

i had to contact the college and they told me. Don't think there is a list unfortunately
08-03-2009, 21:48   #8
Julez

Hi, though my question fit in under this catagory quite nicely.
I have a level 7 ordinary BSc is Computing and I'm looking to get it up to a level 8 degree. The thing is I'd like to do it in a slightly different area of computing to what I did previously, I presume I can do this in one year? I can't seem to see too many courses for a higher degree that our just one year though, they all start from the begining and are four years long. Do one year honours degree courses excist? Could I start in the final year of one of these 4 yr courses, or would I have to go back to the begining because its a slightly different area?
Sorry, I get so confused with all this kind of stuff, think I'll be visiting my previous college guidence counselor soon but would like to have a bit of info going in.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
13-03-2009, 22:28   #9
sue97

Thats pretty much what I am doing. I did a BSC in Computers (pass). Looked at going back to the college I did the course in and they could give me some exemptions but certainly could not complete it in a year.

I also had a look at Dublin Business School but it looked like it would take two years with them.

In the end I opted for a Open Degree from the Open University for a number of reasons.

Firstly I can do two level 3 modules and have an honours degree. You could do two modules in one year but the OU strongly advice you not to and I think they are right. I am finding even one module a heavy workload.

I decided not to do computer subjects because its a long time since i worked in that area.

You could send a transcript of your results to the Open University and see what you would need for an honours computer degree.

Any questions give me a shout
Advertisement
21-03-2009, 13:27   #10
eth0_

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_gaucho View Post
does anyone know where i can see a list of what degree/diploma corresponds to what level? for example i have a Bachelor of Arts from the UK. i think it's a level 7 but not sure. searched online but can't find anything.
If your degree is a BA and not a BA (hons), then it's a level 7 pass degree and you won't be able to do postgraduate courses until you bring it up to a level 8 honours degree.
27-06-2009, 15:12   #11
el_gaucho

Quote:
Originally Posted by eth0_ View Post
If your degree is a BA and not a BA (hons), then it's a level 7 pass degree and you won't be able to do postgraduate courses until you bring it up to a level 8 honours degree.
the course was a BA(hons), which I've since established is equal to Level 8, so you're right when you say that a standard BA is level 7.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion