Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Who 30x05 The Poison Sky

Options
  • 03-05-2008 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭

A pretty good ending to this two parter.
    Finally, someone thought, oh I'll break the glass!

Loved that Rattigan did the right thing in the end.

My fav part....

Doctor "Are you my mommy?"

Next weeks ep looks like it will be awesome.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,146 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well having commented the other day that 2 parter stories usually let themselves down in the second part, "The Poison Sky" goes and throws that idea out the window - that was KICK ASS;
    1. The Sontarans were awsome & pertfecally depicted by Raynor. They were threatening, intelligent & you got a real sense of what their philosophy was. You also got the sense that we just about won there.

2. The UNIT v Sontaran battles were probably the best choreographed & depicted in new Who. Particularly when UNIT fight back, all those sequences were stirring stuff.

3. The Valiant! Sweet!

4. The plot dovetailed nicely I thought & we got to see The Doctor almost forced to sacrafice himself, similar to the series 1 end (though without the handy cop out)

5. Did I mention the UNIT / Sontaran fights were cooool :D

The next adventure looks like it could be a doozey!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Pretty good so fat for this series, only poor episode has been the first one!
    Pluses:
    "Are you my mommy" FTW

A subtle appearance by Rose

The mention of the Brig and the Rutan for the old skewlers

Story was good although a little predictable.

The ending!

I wonder why the focus on the doctors hand as the tardis threw a strop...

Minuses:

Still no bessy!!! Boo hoo!

Kinda liked Ross but I guess we were supposed to.

Technobabble resolution, but that seems to be this writers thing

Who's writing the next ep?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Too shouty, too much sonic screwdriver - otherwise not so bad. Agree with most of the comments here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

I really liked this episode

Thank God somebody finally just smashed the window

Enjoyed the mention of the Brig and the Rutans

A blink and youll miss it apperance from Rose

The focus was on the hand because it was reacting to the presence of a Time Lord (like it did last season in Utopia and in the season 1 finale of Torchwood)

This other Time Lord is "The Doctors Daughter" as per next weeks episode title

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Hang on
    when did Rose make an appearance? Missed that be a mile.

Just like everybody else, loved the
    "are you my mommy?"
    bit - that had me laughing for a good bit.

Looking forward to next week's episode -
    fairly certain I caught a glimpse of Joe Dempsie (aka. Chris from Skins) in the promo for next week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Rose appeared for a split second on the screen in the TARDIS and appeared to be shouting "Doctor"

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Great episode.... absolutely thrilling.

As for next week,
    blondie daughter is gorgeous
    :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,146 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mr E wrote: »
    Great episode.... absolutely thrilling.

As for next week,
    blondie daughter is gorgeous
    :)
    And not only that - happens to be Peter Davison's in real life. So she quite literally is the Doctor's Daughter

pixelburp wrote: »
    And not only that - happens to be Peter Davison's in real life. So she quite literally is the Doctor's Daughter

Good work there, Pete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I thought it was great and much better than the first part of the two parter.

But why all the spoilers? It's aired now.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

huh

i thought this episode was ****e.

beginning to form the opinion that it's time for tennant to be put out to pasture

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I agree - no need for spoiler tags here!

Enjoyed this one - and so surprised after the crap Raynor served us last year.
    As pixelburp said the Sontarans were perfectly depicted - the looks, the sound, the attitude, etc. I think I gave out last week that there was no mention of Rutans - they heard me :)
    Also liked a mention of the Brigadier, although he's retired so he certainly couldn't have helped out (admittedly, it could be a different one they were both talking about).

Highlight - "Are you my mommy?" :D I wonder if that was scripted or an ad libbed moment of genius.

Plot was just standard enough but executed with decent flair and the UNIT battle was streets ahead of anything the show did, even in its latter days (e.g. "Battlefield" from Season 26). Ross dying too - he was a good character, and I thought he would be the new Mike Yates. Way to knock that one back!

The science of it all.. nah best I ignore it :)

It got a lot of the qualities of the show in that we should see - the Doctor saved the day, the themes of sacrifice and humanity, saving the earth, etc with all achieving the correct balance.
    Donna was also good again - she was scared to take action and this is very natural. In fact it's moments like this (and her instinctive distaste on seeing an Ood) that make her the most realistic of the new series' companions.

Maybe the Daleks in NY was just a Raynor misstep and we can look forward to decent output from her. Similarly next week looks interesting but it was written by the guy who gave us "The Lazarus Experiment" (one of last season's weakest episodes). I'm not too sure if I'm happy with:
    the Doctor having a daughter (I subscribe to the notion Susan wasn't his biological granddaughter)
    but we'll see how they handle it
    e.g. stolen DNA for example

So far, bar the first, Season four has been well above the last season and I'm happy with the direction the show is taking.

Glorious Warfare! ;)

ixoy wrote: »
    I agree - no need for spoiler tags here!

Enjoyed this one - and so surprised after the crap Raynor served us last year.
    As pixelburp said the Sontarans were perfectly depicted - the looks, the sound, the attitude, etc. I think I gave out last week that there was no mention of Rutans - they heard me :)
    Also liked a mention of the Brigadier, although he's retired so he certainly couldn't have helped out (admittedly, it could be a different one they were both talking about).

Highlight - "Are you my mommy?" :D I wonder if that was scripted or an ad libbed moment of genius.

Plot was just standard enough but executed with decent flair and the UNIT battle was streets ahead of anything the show did, even in its latter days (e.g. "Battlefield" from Season 26). Ross dying too - he was a good character, and I thought he would be the new Mike Yates. Way to knock that one back!

The science of it all.. nah best I ignore it :)

It got a lot of the qualities of the show in that we should see - the Doctor saved the day, the themes of sacrifice and humanity, saving the earth, etc with all achieving the correct balance.
    Donna was also good again - she was scared to take action and this is very natural. In fact it's moments like this (and her instinctive distaste on seeing an Ood) that make her the most realistic of the new series' companions.

Maybe the Daleks in NY was just a Raynor misstep and we can look forward to decent output from her. Similarly next week looks interesting but it was written by the guy who gave us "The Lazarus Experiment" (one of last season's weakest episodes). I'm not too sure if I'm happy with:
    the Doctor having a daughter (I subscribe to the notion Susan wasn't his biological granddaughter)
    but we'll see how they handle it
    e.g. stolen DNA for example

So far, bar the first, Season four has been well above the last season and I'm happy with the direction the show is taking.

Sometimes the science is so poor it puts me off though.

Hang on
    when did Rose make an appearance? Missed that be a mile.

Just like everybody else, loved the
    "are you my mommy?"
    bit - that had me laughing for a good bit.

Looking forward to next week's episode -
    fairly certain I caught a glimpse of Joe Dempsie (aka. Chris from Skins) in the promo for next week.

You can see her "blink and you miss it" cameo here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I liked it too.

felt the clone subplot with martha was a bit weak, was expecting the doctor to be a bit more flamboyant when he caught the clone out, but thats personal taste.

Really enjoyed the Sontarans though, glad Monkeyfudge gave me a few earlier episdes with them in it now, gonna watch them next.

loved the last line from the science geek and the brief revese shot of the oh sh*t expressions on the sontarans.

Got a nice vibe of the Doctor's inability to kill himself, much like back in season 1, pretty much confirms that the doctor is incapable of killing himself.

and whats this about putting david tennant out to pasture *Bah* he's doing a fantastic job of it.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I liked it too.

felt the clone subplot with martha was a bit weak, was expecting the doctor to be a bit more flamboyant when he caught the clone out, but thats personal taste.

Really enjoyed the Sontarans though, glad Monkeyfudge gave me a few earlier episdes with them in it now, gonna watch them next.

loved the last line from the science geek and the brief revese shot of the oh sh*t expressions on the sontarans.

Got a nice vibe of the Doctor's inability to kill himself, much like back in season 1, pretty much confirms that the doctor is incapable of killing himself.

and whats this about putting david tennant out to pasture *Bah* he's doing a fantastic job of it.

You know for a minute or two I was trying to work out when the Doctor was trying to top himself in season 1. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I liked that espisode a lot - I thought the Sontarans were excellent.
    Nice battle and the doctor wasn't all powerful and all-doing. The humans had to play their part too, for a change.

It took long enough to figure out a solution to copper being expanded too - why wouldn't the doctor just mention that.

He has a gigantic chip on his shoulder about guns really; though given UNIT's previous history with blowing the crap out of any alien it finds, I imagine the Doctor was less than enthusiastic to give them a good reason to do it again (even if they saved the day, let's face it)

pixelburp wrote: »
    He has a gigantic chip on his shoulder about guns really; though given UNIT's previous history with blowing the crap out of any alien it finds, I imagine the Doctor was less than enthusiastic to give them a good reason to do it again (even if they saved the day, let's face it)

In story as well remember the whole sycorax thing? "I should have warned them you are dangerous" etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The Doctor's abhorrence of guns is very in character. He detests violence in as much as it's possible. However, that won't stop him practically nuking a planet if the ultimate ends justifies the means (as he did with Skaro and the Hand of Omega).

The Doctor's abhorrence of guns is very in character. He detests violence in as much as it's possible. However, that won't stop him practically nuking a planet if the ultimate ends justifies the means (as he did with Skaro and the Hand of Omega).

It's very central to the character- as a person he is a pacifist, but as a time lord he's basically a force of nature (which has REALLY been pushed in the new series.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

but would he really have been ok with letting people die when he could have offered them a solution, given that he then effectively nuked all the agressors anyway?
    he seemed ok with it when UNIT worked it out on their own, maybe that's the point.

Indeed, and it did get somewhat brushed aside that he worked happily (well he did get quite chummy with the Brig) with UNIT during the 70s... or was that the 80s?

Advertisement