Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC not recognising Creative Zen

Options
  • 19-04-2008 5:59pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'd be delighted if one of you can shed any light on this one for me. A few weeks ago I finally got me an mp3 player - an 8Gb Creative Zen. It's a fantastic device and it's simple to use. However, today for no apparent reason the pc isn't reacting when I plug in the Zen via USB.
    I have been tinkering with the pc of late because of problems with Malware and among the many things I have done, I downloaded the Norton removal tool and fully removed Norton which meant my pc reverted back to the Windows firewall. Would this explain the lack of communication between pc and Zen. Do I need to tell the pc to allow access via a particular port to the Zen.

I really would appreciate any help regarding this.
    Thanks in advance,
    Hermy:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thanks for all the help but now the damn thing won't even switch on so I think it's back to the shop for a new Zen!!!:-)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

Hermy wrote: »
    I have been tinkering with the pc of late because of problems with Malware and among the many things I have done, I downloaded the Norton removal tool and fully removed Norton which meant my pc reverted back to the Windows firewall. Would this explain the lack of communication between pc and Zen. Do I need to tell the pc to allow access via a particular port to the Zen.

er no, I don't think changing the Firewall settings is going to do much good, thats mainly for controlling internet traffic requests. But I have seen your problem before, when I was trying to install an 8GB Creative Micro Photo (i think) on a brand new Windows XP PC that was only days old with no other software loaded on.

The problem was caused by the new music transfer service (PlaysForSure) that's built into Windows Media Player (10?, 11?). I found a specific update that managed to fix the problem (and I'm currently searching my hard-drive for that fix - I'll send it on if I can locate it. I kept it because I knew I'd see this problem again even though I don't own a Creative).

But yeah you're not the first person to have that problem:
    http://www.howardforums.com/archive/topic/875349-1.html
    http://www.everythingusb.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=11769

NB> Just found this updated driver online, see if it fixes anything:
    http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/FIRMWARE/Creative/Creative-Zen-Micro-PlaysForSure-Firmware-22102.shtml

"This firmware update adds Audible audio content support and improves the functionality of your PlaysForSure enabled Zen Micro player."

Thanks for the response Loveless,
    Well this morning Zen didn't object to being switched on and all my music is still inside. However, although the pc still won't recognise it, Zen is at least charging via USB.
    Another recent change to my pc is an update to Real Player to Version 11.0.3 so maybe that's the root cause of this.
    I'll try that link and let you know how I get on.
    Cheers
    Hermy

Genealogy Forum Mod

Well, I've just reinstalled the software and still the pc doesn't recognise the Zen.
    This be the Zen BTW:
    creative_zen_16gb.jpg

The link you proviced was for the Zen Micro so I didn't use it. Instead I did a search on that page, found relevant firmware, downloaded it, ran it and then it asked me to plug in the device even though it already is plugged in so I am stuck.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

Right I've found the Windows update that fixed the problem, when I first saw it in November 2006. Took me ages to find it back then aswell.

The problem is with the Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) (not the PlayForSure thing I said earlier). so it's not a Zen issue, but rather Media Player/XP.

Here is the link to a file called "fixup.zip" that will sort out everything:
    Zip File: http://www.delldjsite.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=462

Article:
    http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/WinXP/microsoft.public.windowsxp.music/2007-05/msg00011.html

Unplug your Creative device. Download this file and run the "fixup.cmd" file inside. After the driver is updated, restart the PC, and then plug back in the Creative to see if it's finally being recognised.

(RealPlayer would not have caused this problem either. The PC that I saw this problem on was days old, and had no other software installed)

• Advertisement

Thanks again Loveless.
    I'll try this fix tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Well I don't think that's any good either. When I run the program it says I need WMP10.
    I have Version 11 and I don't use WMP with my Zen so I don't think that's anything to do with it. I've tried other USB ports and same thing and I've treid my USB mouse and it is recognised so I haven't a clue.
    Thanks again for your replies.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Hermy wrote: »
    Well I don't think that's any good either. When I run the program it says I need WMP10.
    I have Version 11 and I don't use WMP with my Zen so I don't think that's anything to do with it. I've tried other USB ports and same thing and I've treid my USB mouse and it is recognised so I haven't a clue.
    Thanks again for your replies.

Does any other PC or laptop recognise your Zen? If no other PC recognises it then it's possibly a fault with the Zen. I've seen it before on another make MP3 player. Apparently Creative have a very good support service, so if it's not recognisable on another PC then give them a ring.

Thanks Biro,
    That's still something I have to check.
    I'll let you know.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Well I got the Zen working again. I just went into Device Manager and updated the driver. Simple in the end but thanks for the responses all the same.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement