Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone Rant

Options
  • 24-03-2008 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Has to be said...

Why do some unlocked iPhone sellers in Ireland think €600 is a fair price? They are barely over $600 in the US. My friend was just over there and got one for the equilevent of €375 and its perfect. I think its time people stop getting ripped off.

And another thing, "O2 need a contract" is not an excuse to jack the price at all.

I have no problem in paying a fair price but €600 is way off the mark.

Anyone else with me on this one?

ironclaw.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

It's a free market.

If no one buys them because of the price, eventually they will have to reduce them.

Sadly, there is nothing to stop them from charging what they want, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

ironclaw wrote: »
    Anyone else with me on this one?

Nope.

It's capitalism at it's best.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

can you do you're research a bit better?

first of all, O2 DID NOT set the price of the handset, apple did and they use their famous $1 = €1 exchange rate.

second, apple, not O2 stipulate that anyone using an iphone needs a contract.

third, no one is forcing you to pay €600 for the phone you said yourself a friend got one for €375 and that it's perfect, why not go for this? you could even get one cheaper from an apple store and unlock it yourself.

i seriously hate this iphone is ****e because of this paddy tax or this that, we live in a rip off country so why the **** does it take one phone to ****ing realise we are being ripped off here?

that's my rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

Cremo wrote: »
    can you do you're research a bit better?

i seriously hate this iphone is ****e because of this paddy tax or this that, we live in a rip off country so why the **** does it take one phone to ****ing realise we are being ripped off here?

that's my rant.

Nice rant::D

Them iphones are a great concept, not a great phone!
    They run of a s***e mobile network ,edge. Which, if anything like the o2 mobile broadband, your in for a pain in your hole.
    They have no camera? Was this not a common feature in mobile phones 5 years ago?????
    And they only accommodate 1 sim card. This boils my ass.

And of course your going to be ripped off. Thats called hype, supply and demand.
    Just dont buy one for the next 18 months. Wait for the second or third generation models which, by then, will have (hopefully) all the above features plus increased competition between the networks, therefore making it better priced.

wow, im tired, might get some tea now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

They have no camera? Was this not a common feature in mobile phones 5 years ago?????
    1) Yes, they do.
    2) How many people really need two or more SIM cards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Dabko wrote: »
    Them iphones are a great concept, not a great phone!
    They run of a s***e mobile network ,edge. Which, if anything like the o2 mobile broadband, your in for a pain in your hole.

It's nothing like O2 broadband. Edge is 2.75G, O2 broadband is 3G. Have you actually used a device on the EDGE network? For basic surfing, it is quite useable.

You might want to check your facts there, buddy, the iPhone does have a camera.

Keep it on the boil. How many phones accomodate more than one SIM? If, you are referring to the fact is locked into the AT&T network, well then you need to check your facts again.
    And of course your going to be ripped off. Thats called hype, supply and demand.
    Just dont buy one for the next 18 months. Wait for the second or third generation models which, by then, will have (hopefully) all the above features

As with any piece of technology, you will always be waiting. There is always something better around the corner.
    plus increased competition between the networks, therefore making it better priced.

Again, check your facts. Apple licensing ensures only one operator will have the iPhone in any country.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

if anything like the o2 mobile broadband, your in for a pain in your hole.

2 of my friends has o2 broadband they are very happy with it, it allows them to do everything they want online (surf/youtube/email) and i've used it in their houses and unless you're a heavy downloader i would get it too if i had no other option. although i fail to see what this has got to do with the iphone.

i'll say the same to yourself and i did to the OP, do your research.

yeh cause we all know everyone needs more than two sims in a phone, actually you rant about this like every phone in the market has the option of two sims.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Its a very basic, below average phone (though I will admit it looks very good) and you pay the same as a top of the range feature packed phone as well as signing up to an "iphone tarrif" which is a complete ripoff aswell. So you pay over the odds at the beginning and then you basically pay a monthly charge for the privilege of using it. I really really dont get why people are buying this phone. The touch screen isnt that innovative!

I guess people jump when apple make it or the name begins with i...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The iPhone is a brilliant email, internet, video and music device. No other phone on the market does any of these things as well or as intuitively. Fact. The N95 might be able to do these things but nowhere near as user friendly.

Where the iPhone falls down is the Phone part. No forwarding SMS? Pain as I need to do that on a daily basis. Heavy texter? Pain as the keypad, while good for a touch screen, will never replace a keypad in terms of speed or accuracy. Ringtones? Volume is so low, it'd be hard to hear in church.

Bear in mind though, that this is their first effort. I loved my iPhone but over the 6 months I had it, the phone part became more and more annoying. Which was a shame. If the iPod Touch could use a sim card for data, or we had decent WiFi in Ireland, I'd have no need for the iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

You dont think a phone falling down on the "phone part" is quite a HUGE failing. Id also take issue with the fact that no other phone does video email or internet as well. First off the extremely slow internet connection already knocks it off the top spot there. And the LG U990 has a similar browser but with the higher speeds (It also can play divx putting it on top of the iphone there too?)

Thats before you even consider the fact that the iphone doesnt have have simple things like a radio.

Dont get me wrong its a grand phone and if you were to pay an average price for it then it would be a good buy. But with the price people are paying now you should be expecting much much more.

• Advertisement

I never said Music, Email or Internet. I said Music, Email AND Internet. No phone or device does all these as well as the iPhone.

EDGE is perfectly passable for website. I browsed BBC News, Boards.ie, AVForums.com, RottenTomatoes.com, IMDB.com and a load of comic sites that I read (PVP, CtrlAltDel, LICD, JLCM etc) and they were all fast loading, taking on average 10 seconds. Yes, 3G is faster, but EDGE certainly doesn't make the Internet part of the iPhone a bad feature, not by a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

What are the 'failings as phone' that you are speaking about. I am considering getting one but would like to know of the shortfalls before I commit.

What things in the phone dept does it not do well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Well at least the thread delivers what the title promised.

richieg wrote: »
    What are the 'failings as phone' that you are speaking about. I am considering getting one but would like to know of the shortfalls before I commit.

What things in the phone dept does it not do well?

SMS - No forwarding messages, keypad is not for heavy texters

MMS - Non existent

Ringtone - Volume very low

Coverage - Not as good as other phones. Had instances where people said they were getting no connection despite me being in a good coverage area.

Some things can be rectified with jailbreaking, such as the forwarding SMS and MMS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    You might want to check your facts there, buddy, the iPhone does have a camera.
    It may as well not have one, it’s only a 2meg pixel camera which is something more suited for a Fisher Price toy. This resolution was common when digital cameras were in their infancy. The Nokia N95 is a superb underestimated device with a 5mp Camera for half the price with Vodafone and you don’t have to risk losing your guarantee with this gaol breaking crack and you have an excellent service provider to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Two observations;

One, I think the OP is referring to people on ebay or adverts.ie selling them for that price when they bought them in the states for 375eur. Thats profiteering which I thought was against the charter? Remember unlocked ones from the states will not have a warranty which would be a good chunk of the price of the phone.

Two, all the 'shortfalls' of the iphone can be fixed by 3rd party apps when jailbreaking including full camera options with camerapro and mms and further sms options etc. These will all(hopefully) be included in future firmware updates or when sdk is released in June these will be legal programs available on the phone! For those who have jailbroken the iphone or touch, they will know what some of the apps can do already. It won't be long before there are more far better apps available. Mobilescrobbler (last.fm) being my favourite for now!

BTW the iphone is not for everyone. I don't see why people are knocking it so much. As was said before.. this is apples first phone on the market and they have beaten off most of the competition already! It may also be more suited towards the american market. The camera is its biggest let down at only 2mp, but from what I've seen it is way better than any of the sony ericsson 2mp cameras I've used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

It may as well not have one, it’s only a 2meg pixel camera which is something more suited for a Fisher Price toy. This resolution was common when digital cameras were in their infancy. The Nokia N95 is a superb underestimated device with a 5mp Camera for half the price with Vodafone and you don’t have to risk losing your guarantee with this gaol breaking crack and you have an excellent service provider to go with it

With a sensor the size of the ones you get in phones , there is no benefit to having 5mp over 2mp , they will both look ****e if you print them A4 size , thats just the way it is , unfortunately, so dont be hyping the mp size on a phone , its nonsense !

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Is there a zoom feature on the camera of the iphone?

mathias wrote: »
    With a sensor the size of the ones you get in phones , there is no benefit to having 5mp over 2mp , they will both look ****e if you print them A4 size , thats just the way it is , unfortunately, so dont be hyping the mp size on a phone , its nonsense !
    This was taken with a Nokia N95. Dont tell me that a 2Mp Apple IPhone could match this. Those who normally print on to A4 are amiture or professionals with high quality SLR cameras. 99% of snapshot camera users will print on to 5" x 7" or less. One would want to be a blind and an idiot at the same time to be printing from any camfone on to A4 sheet of paper.

If that is supposed to be a good example of what a camera on a phone can do then its very very poor indeed , its out of focus , the highlights are blown , etc etc etc , I certainly wouldnt be buying it for that.

I have had a 6234 , a poor 2mb camera , a k800i , a poor 3.2mb camera ( saved only by the flash ) and currently an N95 , now pimping an N95 for its camera is just not on , its definitely no better than the other two , they make passable shots in broad daylight , the only one thats any good in a pub say , or anywhere with low light , is the K800i , which beats the other two , purely because of flash , thats it ,

None of them are any kind of replacements for even a decent compact camera , and I wouldnt expect them to be , they are phones .... thats it !!

cramming megapixels into a sensor thats smaller than your fingernail does not improve picture quality , in fact in most cases it makes it worse , thats a fact , so dont be fooled by the megapixel number on your camera , it means nothing.

• Advertisement

mathias wrote: »
    the only one thats any good in a pub say , or anywhere with low light , is the K800i , which beats the other two , purely because of flash , thats it
    This was taken with the N95 in a pub with built in flash and poor lighting conditions.

Btw for those considering an iphone.. this should answer a few questions for you. I'm a bit skeptical now about it to be honest. Theres a few basics missing there which I'm hoping are filled by the 3rd party apps or in the 2.0 iphone update.

Heres a link , and it explains it the subject very well , with the sensor size in phones , the optimimum number of pixels in the sensor is approx 2.7 mp , add any more and the image gets worse , not better , theres a nice table and all , so , dont pay any extra for a 5mp camera phone unless the sensor is bigger , thats all there is to it.

And all those phones I mentioned , from the 2mp up to the 5 mp , have the same size sensor and produce similar results , the 5mp has no definite advantage over the other two because of the pixel count.

http://6mpixel.org/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Got my iPhone today actually. €282. Beats €600 from Buy & Sell anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

chrislad wrote: »
    I never said Music, Email or Internet. I said Music, Email AND Internet. No phone or device does all these as well as the iPhone.

Ah now steady on there. I have a Cowon Q5W which leaves the IPhone in the twopence halpenny place with regard to the above and I am sure there are other PMP/Multimedia devices that also do better. Having said that I'm with the free market argument. Nobody is forced to buy an IPhone so in that respect it's down to choice if you don't like it or think it stinks well don't buy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭chilli_pepper

How do you find it ? Given the title of the thread you should give your feedback

Did you take a good look at the device you just bought? are you sure you weren’t sold an Ipod instead?

Did you take a good look at the device you just bought? are you sure you weren’t sold an Ipod instead?

Guessing its an 8gb from the states!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement