Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torchwood - 2x08 - A Day in the Death [SPOILERS]

Options
  • 28-02-2008 12:11am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭

If someone had said to me, last year, that I would really enjoy an episode where Owen was almost the whole focus, I'd have laughed at them like I did the old Torchwood scripts. No longer - this was good stuff.

Burn Gorman has managed to really transform Owen. In S1 he was an irredeemably selfish git. In this season he's still a selfish git, but it's that aspect of redemption that has kept his character more likeable. It's something that he got to delve into tonight - a slow-paced episode but with a lot of heart and character.
    I liked the fact that they delved into the consequences - both physical and mental - of being dead. Sure they don't explain how Owen talks or his need to blink, etc. but they did as good as job as they ever did with say Buffy or Angel (an obvious influence here). The scene where he couldn't perform the aptly named kiss of life was particularly well handled.

Being so Owen-centric the other characters did fall flat, and it was a particularly weak role for Martha this week, given she was departing. Nonetheless I still liked it and still feel this is a strong season. Now I also think we can get back to normal next week - at least for a few more episodes until we build up for a Grey/Weevil/Darkness finale.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I think Owens Death will really do a lot for the development of the character, Jack is eternal Life, eoin is Eternally dead, makes his cold cynicism all the more apt.

this episode did a lot to develop the character to some level of depth, we see that he has uses but limitations, gives the show another angle to explore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Worst Episode Ever!

Well not really but if I wanted all the drama I'd watch some Merchant Ivory. This is Torchwood - go catch some aliens dammit! Owen has definitely grown as a character and the relationship with Tosh is being dealt with very well. Roll on next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

I have enjoyed the last couple of eps, and I like how they've made it so that Owen is not invincible, as Martha told him, if he gets a bruise or a broken bone, they'll stay that way. I think that vulnerability will change his whole role in the show. I was unhappy with Marthas role in this ep, she was kind of shunned aside, and then was leaving, I thought they could have made a little more of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,145 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It was ok - I suppose it built on the idea that Owen was now, effectively, a zombie but without the anti-social brain eating aspect. The actual plot was obviously centred around Owen's own development, but the one thing that I found jarring was Jack's treatment of Owen. Afterall, it's jacks fault Owen is like this in the first place, and then proceeds to treat him like crap, almost as if it was Owen's fault to begin with. I mean, bwah?

Also, Martha was completely wasted in those 3 episodes - no development of the character, no interplay between her and the current Torchwood crew - nada. A shame. Though at least we got to look at her. *wistful sigh* Ahhh Freema.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

pixelburp wrote: »
    Also, Martha was completely wasted in those 3 episodes - no development of the character, no interplay between her and the current Torchwood crew - nada. A shame. Though at least we got to look at her. *wistful sigh* Ahhh Freema.

Yes, apart from her first appearance, it was a bit of a waste, but will be a little UNIT link to her coming back into Who in, what, about 10 weeks time?

Nice to see that Jack and Owen will live forever, so to speak.....;)

I like the fact that i can watch the show now without a feeling of "how are they going to mess it up this week" ahhh..........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭EmoMatt15

one thing that I found jarring was Jack's treatment of Owen. Afterall, it's jacks fault Owen is like this in the first place, and then proceeds to treat him like crap, almost as if it was Owen's fault to begin with. I mean, bwah?

I agree Jack was a real ass to Owen especially after the way he always moans that he can never die!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,145 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yes, apart from her first appearance, it was a bit of a waste, but will be a little UNIT link to her coming back into Who in, what, about 10 weeks time?

Ah yes; I gotta say, I am really looking forward to seeing the return of UNIT, properly this time, rather than a fleeting cameo. UNIT vs. Sontarans - cooool :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭EmoMatt15

The reason UNIT Didnt return before now is cos the UN didnt want to be associated with kick ass alien fighters...pity that

No, they still don't - they can be called UNIT, it's just that the acronym can't be explained. They have appeared already, just merely on the periphery; this will be their first proprer outing methinks!

Bring back the Brig!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Just saw this and thought it was excellent.

Owen is actually likabely nasty now, instead of just a jerk.

This series is alot better than the last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

No, they still don't - they can be called UNIT, it's just that the acronym can't be explained.

It now expands to "UNified Intelligence Taskforce"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Richard Briers from The Good Life playing the old guy. I recognised his voice from somewhere straight away, but took me a few seconds to twig from where exactly. Good performance as usual, but nowhere near as good as the last performance he did, the scene from Extras, how can you get any better than "tacky s**t!"

Advertisement