Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Forum Closed  

16-02-2008, 16:42   #1
BarryM

Can we create Ireland Offline II for broadband??

Hi,

I was an 'early adopter' in Ireland Offline, I even made a financial contribution!!

I now feel we need to create a V2 of Ireland Offline specifically to rebut the general impression created by Eamon Ryan/ComReg et al that broadband is widely available, cheap and competitive.... I assume that most if not all the people who drop by here would not agree??

I am, as I've said elsewhere, willing to participate in any such creation, but my time and geographic availability (I spend a lot of time out of Ireland) would prevent me from being the 'founder' Is there anybody out there who would be willing to get it up and running?

As I see it the ONLY objective would be to get the broadband situation sorted out such that a) the actual data on who has, who hasn't, who can and who cannot get bb is REAL. b) that The Dept and ComReg and anybody else who purports to be involved in planning bb appreciates the real situation and is committed to sorting it, not talking about it.

As I understand it the legislation presently in place allows ComReg to require 'the incumbent' (Eircom) to open exchanges and other places to other operators for their equipment. I know that this is spoken of but I also know, from anecdotal and other sources that it is a 'kicking and screaming' activity for Eircom. If we can just get that aspect highlighted and get ComReg to actually apply the law then we will be a long way down the road.

First we need the data. On a couple of threads on here I've sown the seed of trying to get a data collection exercise started, using the audience on here. I don't know if this is possible through Boards.ie but I have seen the efforts to get a WiFi hotspots map going and something similar with a data set of REAL information behind it would enable us to start putting pressure on where it counts. Even the item on PrimeTime the other night was (by RTE standards) critical of the present data.

Any takers.....?

Bye, Barry
Advertisement
16-02-2008, 19:56   #2
Sponge Bob
Banned

and to lobby for Shane Ross and his Broadband Bill just published.

http://www.shane-ross.ie/archives/30...ill-2008-here/

I agree with you Barry .

Its important that some of these country senators know they are being watched very very very closely !
16-02-2008, 20:31   #3
bealtine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryM View Post

I now feel we need to create a V2 of Ireland Offline specifically to rebut the general impression created by Eamon Ryan/ComReg et al that broadband is widely available, cheap and competitive.... I assume that most if not all the people who drop by here would not agree??

Any takers.....?

Bye, Barry
Well I'm still around and willing, I never wanted IoffL to shut down as I feel there is far too much work to be done. Just look at the smugness of Eamonn Lyan when he knows there is no meaningful opposition to his nonsense.

You can pm me anytime.
16-02-2008, 21:29   #4
ciotog

Just spotted this on mulley.net, count me in.
17-02-2008, 20:32   #5
buzzinb

Just came across this also on mulley.net. I'm up for it - if even just to highlight the myths and lies that are being disseminated by the various "interested" parties. About time that the facts were presented in a public forum.
Advertisement
17-02-2008, 21:14   #6
Sponge Bob
Banned

The facts are CONTINUALLY presented and dissected in public fora such as this one, its just that there is no lobby group at present .
17-02-2008, 22:05   #7
dahamsta
Banned

I'd be happy to provide web/net resources for a group like this, foc of course. I think the IOFFL site is still sitting on one of my servers somewhere.

adam
Thanks from:
17-02-2008, 22:48   #8
Sponge Bob
Banned

I believe the IoffL mailing list was disintermediated so the website itself is a useful if out of date resource at this stage ....and a historical record of course.
18-02-2008, 09:39   #9
krayZpaving

I'd love to help.

I've worked in politics before, and have plenty of lobbying/legislative experience.
Advertisement
18-02-2008, 10:01   #10

I'm in

I will write more here soon but count me in.
18-02-2008, 15:03   #11

I'm in too.

Am so sick of bloody politicians talking up this country as a technology hotbed and at the same time not having a clue about the basic infrastructure.
19-02-2008, 12:00   #12
BarryM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryrose.lyons View Post
Am so sick of bloody politicians talking up this country as a technology hotbed and at the same time not having a clue about the basic infrastructure.
Grand, and thanks to the others who responded, seems like we can get going. On a series of private messages I had with a few of you we discussed getting a list going as a start, can you help dahamsta??

We are looking to get an online survey going to collect real data, spongebob has a contact for a map of exchanges which we can use as a starter and build from. My feeling is that to be credible we need real data, from as wide an audience as we can.

I copied a message to Damien to find out if IOFL was ever formally disbanded, if it wasn't we can resurrect the process.

More later, I'll be travelling the next few days - son getting married Sat - but I hope to be back in contact next week.

Bye, Barry
19-02-2008, 12:28   #13
BarryM

Mailing List for renewal of Ireland Offline...

Hi,

Thanks to cgarvey we have a temp list here http://url.ie/99q

If you want to help - and I mean that sign up there.

Thanks Barry
20-02-2008, 13:47   #14

I read recently (this week) that a group of business folk (ebay etc.) want to start to lobby the government about it. No offense meant but they will get further than IoffL ever could, they have deep pockets. It may not be possible but perhaps try to get in contact with them to support them. Big business lobbies with public support could go along way.

Odds are I saw the article on breakingnews.ie, rte.ie, siliconrepublic.com or enn.ie
20-02-2008, 17:08   #15
ednwireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulm17781 View Post
I read recently (this week) that a group of business folk (ebay etc.) want to start to lobby the government about it. No offense meant but they will get further than IoffL ever could, they have deep pockets. It may not be possible but perhaps try to get in contact with them to support them. Big business lobbies with public support could go along way.

Odds are I saw the article on breakingnews.ie, rte.ie, siliconrepublic.com or enn.ie
do you mean this article from the sunday tribune it was in an enn news round up
http://www.electricnews.net/article/10123912.html

The paper also says that the Opposition has criticised government plans to roll-out broadband in Ireland using electoral areas. Opposition politicians have accused the government of making a 'political football' of the issue, while companies involved in the bidding process for the plans say such an approach could give rise to legal challenges.

The Sunday Times reports on new proposals that would compel developers to install high-speed broadband infrastructure in newly-built homes. The measure is part of a draft policy paper on next-generation networks (NGNs) currently being prepared by the Department of Communications.

The same paper also reports on the formation of a broadband lobby group by some of Ireland's top business figures. Among those involved in the 'informal' group are John McEligott of eBay Ireland and Vivas chief executive Oliver Tattan as well as the heads of bookmaker Paddy Power, prepaid credit card firm 3V, property website Daft.ie and online travel agents Ebookers. They are seeking a meeting with the Minister for Communications Eamon Ryan to demand better broadband services from the Government.

Last edited by ednwireland; 20-02-2008 at 17:24.
Forum Closed