Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert Art Project

Options
  • 16-11-2007 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

My son is due to do his junior cert art project for June 08 on the subject of Fashion, unfortunatley this is all he knows as his teacher is no longer available (on sick leave ) with no-one so far available to take over from her. He is getting very worried as he is quite artistic and was hoping to use his project(copy) as part of a portfolio regarding entrance into an artist camp in scotland next summer.
    Please help as he does not know what has to be done and what would be expected .

ps. she was the only art teacher in the school and the form tutor keeps telling them to "Just get on with it" and seem to have no knowledge of what may be expected either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

It's three years since I did the JC, but if I remember, this is what you need:

A poster, graphicy sort of idea
    A painting
    A "2d option", this depends on the school/facilities, some people do screenprinting, silkpainting, that sort of thing. I did lino printing. There should be a list of the options.. somewhere. On the exam paper that contained the starting points, I would imagine.
    A 3d piece

All of these of course must be related to the topic.
    Also, you need a prep sheet for each of these, and a support studies sheet for the poster&painting, and another for the 2d and 3d options.
    Prep sheet is just preparatory drawings, ideas, maybe some detail areas done out, bit of explanation as to what your piece has to do with the starting point. Support studies is like "what inspired this". I did my project on Surrealism so I had Dali stuff in there, that kind of idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ethanb

Thanks so much at least he knows now what is needed, his theme is fashion which unfortunatly for him personally would not be the best subject but hey maybe he will surprise us all and be the next calvin klien, tommy hilfigher (not).
    Quick question for my self really should he be allowed access to the art room outside offical art class time to make up on lost time as this seems to be the only time the school will allow them in to use any equipment with the secretarys supervising .

Personally, I did the large majority of my art project at home. My friend in another school wasn't allowed do anything whilst not in the presence of her teacher though.. so it's possible what I did wasn't allowed. It seems a little crazy to me because you wouldn't get enough time to do it all in school...
    Just sneak the stuff home and do it there. ¬_¬

As far as the topic goes.. there are usually a number of them so you can choose the one that suits you best. Unless they've changed the course since I did it of course.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The topics (OL and HL) this year are:
    1. Fabulous Food
    2. My School and Me
    3. A Kind and Thoughtful Act
    4. Weathered by Time
    5. A Dedicated Follower of Fashion

Full details here: SEC pages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 x-Shaz-x

spurious wrote: »
    The topics (OL and HL) this year are:
    1. Fabulous Food
    2. My School and Me
    3. A Kind and Thoughtful Act
    4. Weathered by Time
    5. A Dedicated Follower of Fashion

Full details here: SEC pages

wel he has 2 pick 1 of the above titles and make the following using that title:
    1.Painting or Grapic Desgin
    2. An Option
    3. A 3-D

all usually has 2 b done for the start of May next year
    and then there is th object and life drawing exam shortly after that!

Good Luck!!!!!:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Help :eek:
    he is rightly confused now he was told topis is "Fashion" just before the teacher "got ill" and was under the illusion that he had to "design" a fashion piece. with a all sketches/drwaings to be included inc types of fabric etc to be used.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm not an Art teacher but as far as I know they are fairly lax on what the themes mean. I think he'll be OK with 'Fashion'. The SEC site says he has to pick one.

The official title of the theme when I did it was "Off the Beaten Track", and I did mine on Surrealism (and got an A), so yeah, you can basically do whatever.

As far as designing a fashion piece, I have to say, that sounds completely bizarre. I guess for your option you could do something with textiles.. not sure of the options.. but with a topic of fashion, you could a great number of different things. Poster for a Fashion show, maybe even cover of a fashion magazine, painting of a fashion show, or something more abstract.

Thanks Purplefistmixer,
    My poor son was having canaries at the thought of designing a fashion piece (sports bag) that he might be capable of producing with the required back up steps.
    Shouldn't Laugh i know but i just cant help smile at the idea of him walking around Hickeys looking at fabric and trying to work out which would be more suitable silk or cotton he he . Am i a bad parent?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

ethanb wrote: »
    Am i a bad parent?

No, major respect for actually taing interest and doing something about it.:cool:

• Advertisement

Thanks Jay P
    Just doing what a parent should!

my lad is smiling and actually happy now since i told him a little while a go. mind you he did check this whole thread to make sure i wasnt giving him false hope. as i type i can hear him sing, Oh if only he could be as worried about his other subjects and crack on and use the books for something other than a door stop in his room i might then smile and be just as happy as him. Roll on July o8 when its all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Dont mean to dash your hopes, but unless he does TY, its all uphill afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 orla505

spurious wrote: »
    I'm not an Art teacher but as far as I know they are fairly lax on what the themes mean. I think he'll be OK with 'Fashion'. The SEC site says he has to pick one.

Im an art student doing th same project but it is specificaly a dedicated follower of fashion and will lose marks if he doesnt mention in some way the dedicated folllower part.

im running out of ideas fast im doing weathered by time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sexyhun101

im doing my art project too and if as u say your son is artistic hell do fine becouse when you start it just gose with the flow after words just make sure he has plenty for his prep work becose it on an a3 sheet and it the same amount of marks as the real piece so the prep has to be as good as the real piece!!oh and there has to be sign of development between the 2!!
    good luck!!xx

thanks folks
    been in to his school to see head and was told hopefully a new teacher will be found for start of term in Jan. but "he will not be allowed submit any work done other than that of which was done in school/or during school supervision"
    so we are hopeful that more art classes can be arranged after school with parental supervision if necessary to allow the kids enough time to get it done on time.
    So looks like any advice or help we can give him will be just encouragement and a listening ear if it goes against him in the end.
    personally i feel he and the other in his school are at a very unfair disadvantage as they cannot benefit from the expierence and guidance of a qualified art teacher like hundreds others. is there someone other than the head we can get in touch with to give them the same footing as the other art students .

Advertisement