Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

shaving rash

• 06-11-2007 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, recently i've started to get pretty bad shaving rash. I'm using an electric razor(which i've heard is better for the skin than wet shaving) and also make sure i moisturize after shaving, yet the problem persists. Any tips?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

Never knew electric razors were better for your skin than wet shaving! why not revert to wet shaving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Always found it the exact opposite. Wet shave irritates far less. I can't use electric razors because of the burn. What I do is wash my face with hot water and usually use the Botanics by Boots facewash. Then I shave using King of Shaves gel and rinse afterwards with cold water. Then I use a post-shave balm - buy one that's half decent. Don't put aftershave or anything else on shaved area. Hopefully that'll improve it. I used to have a red rash across my neck after shaving but found method above stopped it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Pretty much have stopped using my electric shaver as it has taken the neck off me on many occasions. Now I wet shave more often with no razor burns. Try reverting to wet shaves and while rinsing your face with hot water before you shave also dab face with some cold water. When you are finished shaving use cold water to wash your face and neck. A good quality after shave balm / moisturiser should then be applied!

Lesson 2 next week :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Had this problem for years and sorted it by learning how to shave myself properly. I have only ever wet shaved. My problem was shaving in the wrong direction, basically shave with the grain rather than against it and your rash will be no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭lilRedSmurf

Hope you dont mind a little female input but have any of you tried a shaving oil instead of foam? No chemicals or alcohol that can irritate already sensitive skin post shave. There are natural shaving bars out there too, you still get the foamy clean feeling and the slip you need but again without the alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

The gillette fusion foam is pretty good, followed up by the absolutely necessary nivea aftershave balm.

Do you generally go for long stints of a few days between shaves? I find if i go over a week and get into beardy territory that shaving is more irritating than shaving every other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Hope you dont mind a little female input but have any of you tried a shaving oil instead of foam? No chemicals or alcohol that can irritate already sensitive skin post shave. There are natural shaving bars out there too, you still get the foamy clean feeling and the slip you need but again without the alcohol.
    Female imput is good. Oil is also good, pretty sure it was instructions that came with a bottle of shaving oil that showed me the light as in shaving with the grain. OP try it you wont regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

Thanks for the replies guys:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i used to get razor burn on one side of ym neck, only one side and although it wasnt very bad i hated it.

tried EVERY remody i could find on the net and some of them worked for a couple shaves, then back to burn territory. so a few weeks ago i bought a stubble razor in argos, a babyless one for 60 euro.

it doesnt shave all the way and has a digital display to control the length u wanna shave..basically leaves a stubble look. nice product. the means to an end for me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bellton

This might help.
    Worth considering if you are having no joy with the above.
    I used to get a rash on my neck (well more like little red dots), which was unsightly.
    anyway, mentioned it to the doctor when i was with him one morning. He gave me a prescription for Fucidin H cream, which I applied three times daily, sparingly
    Its improved immeasurably and to be honest, sometimes isnt there at all. Small tube lasts ages and then you can get the stuff over the counter in spain i would
    imagine, if you need a top up.
    I found wet shaving to be of help, very warm water. make sure your blades are good and small strokes, gently.
    when you are treating it with the cream, let a bit of beard growth happen until it clears up. i also found that shaving often in the long run is good. and if you can do so the night before work, college, it gives the skin time to settle down. That is unless you grow a beard really fast and need to shave in the morning.
    Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

I used to use an electric razor but was constanly getting a bad rash on my neck..red spots,sometimes big and nasty (caused by ingrown hairs)

Now what I do is:
    > Lots of just about bareable hot water (Opens pores)
    > Pre shave scrub (Then rinse off with hot water)
    > Shaving cream ( Glycerin based )
    > Shave with grain - just drag the razor along your skin (very little pressure exerted)
    > Rinse off using lots of really cold water (Closes pores)
    > Apply good quality aftershave balm (Nivea is good)(And must have no alchohol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

techguy wrote: »
    Lots of just about bareable hot water (Opens pores)
    Try reverting to wet shaves and while rinsing your face with hot water before you shave

Lads, the best time to wet shave is just when ya pop out of a nice hot shower in the morning. It gives the water time to open the pores and allow for a much easier shave.
    Re-wet your skin with more hot water, then apply some shaving gel/foam. Only use a smallish layer though.
    Another good point is always look after your razor. Clean and rinse it after each stroke, and clean well after. you'll get more 'wear' out of it, and a good sharp razor is crucial for a good smooth shave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Freddy K

Instead of starting a whole new thread I'll just use this one. I've a similar problem to the person who posted this thread. Bit of a rash, cuts made in the same area every time, and the skin gets dry (and unfortunately, flakey) a few hours afterwards. I shave with the grain and I've tried many different blades to see if it was the blades that was causing all this but it wasn't. I use some foam specially for dry skin but it hasn't made a difference.

I don't use any balm afterwards so maybe this will help? What balm should I use if so? Thanks!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I would suggest trying the shaving cream Prince from Lush. My other half started using it after I bought it for him to see would it help his skin.

His skin is now so much better, it doesn't get dry or spotty after it's been shaved like it used to. It also doubles up as a shaving balm, so you can rub in a bit after you finish to moisturise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Only ever shave in the shower or just when you get out. Problem solved.

I only ever cut myself or experience any irritation whatsoever when I have to shave without having been in a shower just before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

I scrub with 'Sea Spa' facial scrub and shave with a 'Fusion Power' razor and 'Total' shaving solution.

Afterwards, 'Sea Spa' have an after shave balm that I like.

I sometimes shave while showering too. Never have a problem either way.

(Does this constitute shameless plugging?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Only ever shave in the shower or just when you get out. Problem solved.

I only ever cut myself or experience any irritation whatsoever when I have to shave without having been in a shower just before.

different peoples skin are more sensitive than others. although shaving in the shower is highly recommended. a nice steam free mirror in the shower would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ta me anseo

I was forever suffering from severe razor burn and bumps and rash and seriously despised shaving. It was a chore and no more and I even considered laser treatment to remove my facial hair so I would not need to shave at all.

Then I discovered wet shaving. Not the Gillette Mach3 with a can of Gillette gloop wet shaving. I mean wet shaving with a safety razor like your Dad used. A safety razor that uses a double edge (DE) blade and shaving foam created with a tube or bowl of cream and a proper badger hair shaving brush. The difference for me was literally life changing.

I can now get up and look forward to my morning routine. After I shave I now look respectable and feel great rather than hoping nobody notices the rash on my neck and chin, or the inevitable spots that occasionally develop from ingrown hairs.

Aside from the obvious benefits, this type of shaving is so much cheaper than the Mach 3 type. My DE blades cost from 30 or 40 cents each to 60 or 80 cents each for the real, ninja sharp, top end ones. Each blade will give me at least 5 or 6 shaves depending on how aggressive I want to be. A tube of cream costs as little as 3 euro and will last a couple of months. Compare that to Mach3 blades at 4 or 5 euro each (or whatever they are now) and a can of gloop at 5 or 6 euro and the savings are huge!

I started off with a badger brush for about 25 or 30 euro and a Merkur razor at about 40 euro like this one: http://www.momentumgrooming.com/qs/product/58/4300/167641/0/0
    In my opinion a tiny outlay for what is in the long term a much cheaper shaving method, and more importantly a method that has completely illiminated the rash and burn I normally suffered from.

Seriously, I cannot recommend DE wet shaving enough....have a look at http://www.badgerandblade.com or http://groups.msn.com/thewetshaversgroup/.

The only other thing I would say is that most rash and irritation comes from shaving against the grain. However, with an electric razor illiminating this problem is not possible as you have no control over what direction you are shaving.

Where can I pick up Prince from Lush?

Anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

In Lush????? Theres one on grafton st near dame street

Advertisement