Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Commodore 64 games!

Options
  • 21-10-2007 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

The natural progression from the "best C64 games" thread is the worst C64 games!

To get things started, Double Dragon and Final Fight! esp. Final Fight, which I just played on an emulator there again to remind myself just how bad it was...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

The buggy, boring Batman: Caped Crusader is one that springs to mind. It got rave reviews at the time apparently.

And anything with that twattish Dizzy character- pffft. Just not entertaining at all.

It's more difficult to remember the names of the bad ones as I didn't play them much.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

The street fighter games... pants.

Most 16 bit arcade conversions tended to suck on the c64

I had a gobots game on it and it was one of the worst games I ever played. Transformers similarly sucked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭djsim

Bionic Granny was one of the worst games that I have ever played, totally crap. Worth playing to see how crap it really was:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Most of the games by Ultimate Play the Game were awful, especially when compared to the superior fare on the Speccy by the same company, thank gods the C64 had Hewson consultants who had Paradroid and Uridium to make up for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

"The Double" possibly the worst football management sim of all time.

I actually liked "Batman The Caped Crusader" at the time, i'd probably think its not so good now though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Chase HQ was famously muck on the C64....

[nerd jihad]..of course even the worst C64 game was miles better than the colour clashed sh!te on the speccy...[/nerd jihad];)<---notice judicous use of
    winky smiley

<<<goes to hide in his attic>>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Street Fighter was pants beyond compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

Chase HQ was famously muck on the C64....

[nerd jihad]..of course even the worst C64 game was miles better than the colour clashed sh!te on the speccy...[/nerd jihad];)<---notice judicous use of
    winky smiley

<<<goes to hide in his attic>>

Can't beat Hard Drivin'!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Cobra - yuk! :eek: Yes, few games can be as bad as Cobra.

Ropey sprite detection against men with axes - who flash red,green,blue and purple when they die. What? No room to avoid these maniacs. Horrible repeating music that is only a couple of seconds long. Avoid! Avoid!

See the glorious Zzap review here - 13% - I think that was bit too high! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Trode

I actually liked "Batman The Caped Crusader" at the time, I'd probably think its not so good now though
    It's the kind of game you like in spite of itself. It oozes charm and atmosphere, and the puzzles are reasonably fun and fit well with the character and setting. But on every screen after the first couple you're beset with swarms of small enemies who flit around the screen sapping your health, and your character is simply too slow and awkward to avoid or kill them(and even if you do, two more will replace it in a second), so it becomes a dull, hard endurance test. I like it in theory, but it's really only enjoyable with a cheat on.

For my worst, I nominate Cauldron(or Cauldron 2 possibly), the one with a bouncing pumpkin head exploring a castle. Massively difficult, mostly due to a control scheme that felt like playing Operation wearing oven gloves.

Vigilante was dire too, a beat-em up with no freedom of movement, and your hero seems to be missing his arms below the elbow. Now imagine it with the frame rate of Castle Master. And just to add insult to injury, the levels bore feck all likeness to the arcade.

Harrier Attack, moments of comedy ineptitude like bombing your carrier and running into your own missiles aside, was just too dull, ugly and repetitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Trode wrote: »
    For my worst, I nominate Cauldron(or Cauldron 2 possibly), the one with a bouncing pumpkin head exploring a castle. Massively difficult, mostly due to a control scheme that felt like playing Operation wearing oven gloves.

I played Cauldron so much - I thought it was a great game. Even got quite far into it, collecting 3 of the 4 keys - but it was waaaay too hard - and the platform edges were death traps for the witch. I didn't really like the 2nd one - it was supposed to be easier (but I found the pumpkin control frustrating)- but I gave up on it too soon - but I do remember mapping it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Most of the games by Ultimate Play the Game were awful, especially when compared to the superior fare on the Speccy by the same company

I don't agree. Ultimate did some fantastic games for the C64, specifically those with the Arthur Pendragon character. Staff of Karnath, Entombed (http://www.zzap64.co.uk/zzap3/entombed.html), Blackwyche and to a lesser extent Dragonskulle.

The Speccy conversions to C64 agreed weren't up to much but then again the games themselves were very basic to begin with.

TC.

Advertisement