Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent hike of €140 PM any rent control in Ireland

Options
  • 03-09-2007 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭

Ive paid market value since moving in.
    Is there any rent control here?

Also after 9 years being forced into a lease.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The increase can only be once a year and only in line with the market (I'm not sure if that means it can be brought up to the market rate or that if the market has increased X%, the rent increases X%).

To be honest, the landlord should see a sitting tenant of 9 years as a good idea, you should emphasise this and try to find a middle ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭worded

No middle ground with him.

He has a load of properties but must be feeling the pinch of the % interest rate as Ive to deal with him and an agent. Bad cop worse cop idea. Really hiked it to the max. Im emailed and phoned almost daily, has the lease arrived yet?

I had a lease for year 1 and 2. No lease for the next 7.
    Now Im really being pushed to sign one, Im very suspicious at the timing of all this.

Im thinking the wording of this lease will negate any rights I have accumulated after my 9 years here. Ive yet to see it.

Have I extra rights after 9 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

feck 'em and move out..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There is a technical thing here. It depends on the commencement date of the new legislation (i.e., the date the new legislation came into force) - you are entitled to 4 years tenure from the commencement date of the legislation. After that, the landlord has six months to get you to leave, then you have a further 3.5 years of tenure. You should talk to threshold and explain your situation carefully.

Being there 9 years doesn't and never did give you any particular rights. You probably have less rights now than you did 3 months ago, as a result of the four years expiring. But you really need to check this with threshold.

Rent can be brought up to market rates, not just increased by the market percentage increase. EUR 140 isn't necessarily a lot if you are inside the M50 and haven't had an increase for 15 months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

heres a thought- if he has a load of properties they are probably morgaged to the hilt over the years to release capital to keep purchasing more -now with the falling property prices his equity is falling rapidly but his repayments are rising thru interest rate hikes -the bank could be monitoring his situation and warned him he could realistically be heading negative -to keep everyone happy if he gets lease agreements signed on all his propertys for 1 yr terms ,it keeps the bank happy for a year at least -its just a thought but id say there is a few landlords in this situation

• Advertisement
Advertisement