Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAC make up artists

Options
  • 26-07-2007 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey everyone

I'm hopefully training to be a make up artist soon and I would like to be a member of the MAC pro team some day.

To get this far, I need to get on the MAC counter, now I know its **** money, but does anyone know exactly how much it is per year?

Even a rough estimation for a make up counter would be helpful!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I was offered a job in Estee Lauder two years ago which I didn't take, but as far as I know it was 10.50 an hour ish, with some small commission and some free/largely discounted products too.
    MAC is owned by Estee Lauder but is different I would say.
    If I were you, I'd check out Specktra.net. It's the MAC information website.
    Have a look at the industry discussion forum
    http://www.specktra.net/forumdisplay.php?f=194
    They also have tutorials and faces of the day which are great too.

I'm interested in this field too, but am persuing a career in risk management having got my degree for the moment, til I have some money to go on a course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Fabcat1

Wow, thats great, I'll check it out now. Cheers for the info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 littlemsmakeup

p
    Fabcat1 wrote: »
    Hey everyone

I'm hopefully training to be a make up artist soon and I would like to be a member of the MAC pro team some day.

To get this far, I need to get on the MAC counter, now I know its **** money, but does anyone know exactly how much it is per year?

Even a rough estimation for a make up counter would be helpful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lillisa

Mac are by far the worst paid.
    They are also owned by Estee Lauder, as are Bobbi Brown, Clinique, Stila, Aveda, Jo Malone...the list goes on.
    With four years experience I got probably 14.50 an hour (as a senior advisor).
    With no experience, I'd say you will probably get around ten or eleven. Mac do not give commission either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

lillisa wrote: »
    Mac do not give commission either.

I'm surprised to hear that. I was in the main BT branch over the weekend, and just picked up a couple of empty pallets.

A girl just got them for me (took her all of 2 seconds) and when I went up to the counter to pay, I couldn't remember the girls name - and the look I got was priceless!! I thought she was giving me a dirty look because they all work on commission!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Yea, the last time I bought something there the girl gave me her name and told me to say it to the girl at the counter. Why would they do that if they didn't get commission?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Maybe the amount of sales they get is noted even if they don't get commision.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yeah, you still work to targets but don't get any commission. You don't get anything in fact for reaching or exceeding targets. I made a fortune for MAC one week before Christmas - I can't remember the amount but it bet all records previous years and I just got a thanks, no little bonus or anything. Ya do get lots of products though.

To OP, it's quite hard to become a Pro in Ireland. It's all based abroad really. I know of just one girl who worked as part of the MAC Pro Team in London for a Make-up Trade show. But MAC do give very good training in make-up artistry and it's a very good place to start in the industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 fashionista!

i thought it was commission based too, everytime i buy something all I get is "who served you" - it's kinda annoying cos most of the time they're not a help at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 E.L

Hi, i am a former manager in mac. i think the artists were on about 11.50 approx . they work to targets and if they are reached they get a quarterly bonus, the must sell on average 2.5 items every sale to perform to standard,:mad:
    I dont know why there is such hype about working for mac they will never let you do any fashion shows e.t.c unless you are on the events team which is a handpicked team usually from bigger stores and impossible to get onto.
    you dont get paid any extra for this extra work which is done outside work hours you get time back.
    i work now as freelance which is much more fullfilling.:P
    in the end of the day its a retail position working in a shop getting grief it looks so glamourous until you find yourself cleaning shelves putting out stock and scrubbing dirty lipstick stands .

• Advertisement
Advertisement