Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-07-2007, 19:00   #1
fluppet

Safe-cracking

I have a Sentry safe with a 3 code combination and key.

I have never touched the combination wheel so I just use the key to unlock it.

I accidently moved the wheel a bit (no more than 40 places out of 100). I have tried moving the wheel back again, but it wont open on any of the number that it could have been on. I presume moving it backwards moved it off the other two numbers of the combination, so I would have to put in the whole combination again. Is this right?

Of course the problem is that I don't know what the combination is. Apparently it was in the manual that came with it, but I don't know where that is - it might even be in the safe.

Sentry have a facility for finding out what the combination was (you have to send them stuff like the serial number and things signed by a notary to confirm that you own the safe, and of course some money), but that would take a long time.

I would also like to try cracking the code by brute force (going through all the possibilities). I know it would take a very long time, but I'm willing to dedicate a few days to it. The only reluctance that I have is that I would like to confirm before I start that there is nothing I can do even though it should have only moved off the correct combination by a little bit.
Advertisement
18-07-2007, 19:03   #2
challengemaster

right.. so... why exactly are you telling us this? unless of course you want to tell us where you live.. and the orig combo when you find it
18-07-2007, 19:03   #3
Creamy Goodness
Booooom, Blast & Ruin

it's three digits, it's not going to take you that long.

i had a 3 digits combination lock on my guitar case which i forgot the combo too, took me 30 minutes to get the combination at it was in the 700's
18-07-2007, 19:25   #4
Voodu Child
(Slight Return)

If it's three turns of a 100 digit wheel, it will take a good while to crack it.

You're correct in saying that you have to input all three numbers again - you've moved it too far and knocked the levers out of the notches in the wheel.

Cracking a safe is pretty easy once you can hear the click when the lever falls in between two contact points on the wheel .You can graph the probable combinations fairly easily. All the info you need can be found with a google search.
18-07-2007, 19:59   #5
fluppet

Hehe! I found the manual with the code on it and opened it

Cremo - This is a safe, not a combination pad-lock. It's not three 'digits', it's a three code combination: you put the dial to 0, then turn it three full times around and then select the first number (which is between 0 and 100), then spin it twice in the other direction and then select the second number (between 0 and 100), then spin in once in the first direction to select the third number (again between 0 and 100). In total there are 1 million possible combinations, so with all that spinning (and it's a big wheel so it takes a while to even spin it around once) it would take many hours to crack by brute force.

voodoo_child - Yes I read about it, but I think it would take a bit of practice - I don't hear any clicks when I turn it, and the lever often feels different on lots of different numbers.

Very happy!
Advertisement
18-07-2007, 22:26   #6
biko
Percolator

Remember kids, use safe crack
18-07-2007, 22:54   #7
poisonedstream

What happened to the dynamite? Enough liquid nitrogen and a blow torch will literally crack that safe for you.
19-07-2007, 02:48   #8
intheknow
Banned

really needed this thread..thanks
19-07-2007, 03:35   #9
Lord Nikon

Is there anything of any value in it?
Advertisement
19-07-2007, 03:37   #10
mawk

i know im too late but if youre bored I have a drill and a hankering to power tool something...
19-07-2007, 10:33   #11
loyatemu

this idiot guy is counting to a million and reckons that it will take him 4 months:
http://www.millioncount.com/

I reckon you'd have to triple that (at least) if you were dialling combinations into a safe - ok you'd probably get the right one long before you'd entered all 1 million possibilities, but still not practical.

Last edited by loyatemu; 19-07-2007 at 10:35.
19-07-2007, 14:04   #12
Gumbyman

1, 2, skip a few, 99 a million. We had a safe in my old workplace. Nobody used it or knew the combination and it was always open. On my last day I put a copy of The Times and a full tuna sandwich in it and locked it away for a thousand years. My contribution to civilisation. To the future. To our children's futures. How noble.
19-07-2007, 14:10   #13
Jimoslimos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluppet
voodoo_child - Yes I read about it, but I think it would take a bit of practice - I don't hear any clicks when I turn it, and the lever often feels different on lots of different numbers
If you have any doctor friends, borrow a stethescope off them. Seems to be the way its done in the movies .
19-07-2007, 15:01   #14
Mizu_Ger

Get a drill, a hose and watch "The Score" and Robert de Niro will show you how to do it
19-07-2007, 15:02   #15
nobodythere

Send a message via MSN to nobodythere
There was a crowd on <snip>.com a while back who made a robot arm with servos to brute force the combo.

Last edited by Terry; 19-07-2007 at 15:55.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion