Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-07-2007, 18:12   #1
bobjim

Second hand bookshops - Cork City

I'm looking to load up with a load of books for holidays in Portugal - I don't want to spend a lot as I'll dump them when I'm finished and I'm basically looking for thriller/crime stories, nothing too taxing for lying on the beach. I know a few of the second hand bookshops (or places that sell cheap books) in the city but am wondering if I'm missing any??

The ones I'm aware of are:
Connollys in Paul st
Uneeda in Oliver Plunket St
Shelf on George's Quay
plus a couple of charity shops near the Coal Quay

I think there's a place on Bridge St as well? And I know Porter's always seem to have a table of bargains.....

Any other tips appreciated..............
Advertisement
10-07-2007, 20:14   #2
JohnK
Subscriber

Is Uneeda on the top of Oliver Plunket St by the Grand Parade? If not, there's one around there.
10-07-2007, 20:43   #3
StevieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK
Is Uneeda on the top of Oliver Plunket St by the Grand Parade?

Yup that's still going strong think there's some books in there some great vinyl there too
10-07-2007, 21:12   #4
Fysh

Vibes & Scribes on Bridge St have a decent second hand section in the basement.
11-07-2007, 09:46   #5
Judes

Don't forget the "Charity" Shops - they always have loads of books, one of my mates used to drop bags of books there when she was finished. There are 2 on Cook Street - can't remember what they are but Charity Shops all over town, so you'll pick up books really cheap from there! (Happy Holidays)
Advertisement
12-07-2007, 13:58   #6
madser77

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjim
I'm looking to load up with a load of books for holidays in Portugal - I don't want to spend a lot as I'll dump them when I'm finished and I'm basically looking for thriller/crime stories, nothing too taxing for lying on the beach. I know a few of the second hand bookshops (or places that sell cheap books) in the city but am wondering if I'm missing any??

The ones I'm aware of are:
Connollys in Paul st
Uneeda in Oliver Plunket St
Shelf on George's Quay
plus a couple of charity shops near the Coal Quay

I think there's a place on Bridge St as well? And I know Porter's always seem to have a table of bargains.....

Any other tips appreciated..............
Vibes and Scribes on the Quays around the corner from the Opera house do a pretty eclectic selection of reasonbly priced books ... lots of biographies and Crime books as far as I can remember. If you're into history of art or architecture you'll wet your pants in the place....

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion