Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2007 Ireland Open Classic - Castlebar

Options
  • 28-06-2007 12:31pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It has been decided that the 2007 Ireland Open Classic will be held in Castlebar. Co. Mayo this year on Sunday 9th of September. The West of Ireland Open will be held on Saturday the 8th of September. Full details on how to enter each tournament are below:

2007 Ireland Open Classic

THE 2007 Ireland Open Classic will take place at the TF Royal Hotel in Castlebar on Sunday 9 September.

The PDC Pro Tour event will be staged in Co Mayo and offer a £20,000 prize fund for players, starting at 1pm.

Non-PDPA members from the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland can enter in one of two ways, either joining PDPA members direct into the main draw for a £75 entry fee, or by entering one of the regional qualifiers to be staged by Ronnie Boyle.

The Ireland Open Classic will be played with a Players Championship format, the best of five sets, best of three legs per set throughout.

Mick McGowan won the 2006 Ireland Open Classic, defeating Kevin Painter in the final, with Wayne Mardle and James Wade reaching the semi-finals.

The 2007 event will be the seventh Ireland Open Classic, which has previously been won twice by Phil Taylor and also by Roland Scholten, John Part and Mark Dudbridge.

Accompanying the tournament on Saturday 8 September will be the non-ranked West of Ireland Open.

That event is limited to 64 players and costs 50 euros to enter, with initial round-robin stage of 16 four-man groups then seeing the top two from each progress to the knockout stages from the last 32 onwards.

The West of Ireland Open will have a 1,500 euro first prize, with 700 euros to the runner-up, 400 euros to the losing semi-finalists and 200 euros to the quarter-final losers.

Accommodation bookings and information on regional qualifiers and entry for non-PDPA members into the Ireland Open Classic, as well as all entries for the West of Ireland Open are available through Ronnie Boyle on:
    Tel: +44 (0) 7776 365059
    E-mail: rb180irishdarts@yahoo.co.uk
    Web: www.rbirishdarts.com

Anyone planning on entering or going to watch these?

Has anyone entered the West of Ireland tournament before and what is the standard like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

I recived this today:
    World Professional Darts Tournament
    &
    International Sports Festival

A HUGELY attractive weekend of world class sport going into its 7th year takes place once again in the TF Royal and Theatre Hotel, Castlebar on the weekend of Friday 7th to Sunday 9th September 2007.…..

It promises to be one of the biggest international sports festivals ever to take place in one venue. The prestigious event will include a £20,000 (sterling) World Professional Darts Tournament which is officially ranked by the World PDC, a Celebrity and Open Texas Hold’em Poker Tournament, Connaught Open 8Ball Pool Championships (ranking tournament), Castlebar Inter-Pub 5-Aside Darts Championship, Ireland’s Pub Players 8Ball Pool Tours £2,000 challenge and West of Ireland Individual Open Darts Championship…..

This will be an exciting sporting weekend for spectators and all competitors alike, and a great opportunity for all local players to take part. The festival of sport gives local enthusiasts the chance to see some of the up and coming world stars as well as the worlds greats in action in the Castlebar town and also gives them the opportunity to take them on……..

Ireland’s Open Classic: (Pro-Tour)
    This year sees Ireland’s Open Dart Classic (official PDC pro-tour ranking tournament) moving into its 7th year with the biggest prize-money to date on offer come September when £20,000 will be up for grabs in the history of this prestigious open darts tournament in the West of Ireland venue.

Down through the years the tournament has crowned a host of world professional players including the incredible two time winner Phil Taylor and not forgetting last years champion Mick Magowan the first Irish player to do so in the seven year history of the event going in the roll of honours list alongside Roland Scholten (Holland, 2001), John Part (Canada, 2002), Mark Dudbridge (England, 2003), Phil Taylor (England, 2004 & 2005) and Mick McGowan (Ireland)…

Non Irish members of the PDC should take note that there is a number of open qualifiers to get into the main event so players should make contact a.s.a.p. by calling 07776365059 to get full details including closing dates, official times, entry fees, prize-money etc…..

Full information regarding the pro-tour event and the West of Ireland Darts Championship will be given on the official PDC website as well as on the Irish tournaments website www.rbirishdarts.com

West Of Ireland Open Darts Championship: (Limited to 64 players)
    Saturday 8th September 2007 the day before the 7th annual £20,000 Ireland’s Open Dart Classic will see a open tournament take place in the same playing venue giving all players a good warm up event before the official PDC Pro-Tour Tournament on the Sunday (next day)…

The 2007 West of Ireland Open Darts Championship will be limited to the first paid up 64 players on a first come, first served basis starting at 1pm. The format will be played in a round robin basis 16 groups of four (1 group on each board) with the two players progressing to the last-32 followed by a straight knockout and the entry fee is 50 euros…..

The prize-money based on 64 entries and paid out in euros is as follows Winner 1500, Runner-Up 700, Semi-Finals 800 (2 x 400), ¼-Finals 200 (4 x 50).

Note:
    All players who are thinking of entering the 2007 West of Ireland Open Darts Championship should do so A.S.A.P. because the tournament is limited to 64 players and already a good number of entries has been received.

Other dart tournaments taking place over the weekend will be the Castlebar inter pub 5-aside team championship (Co. Donegal pub venue are the holders) and the open individual darts tournament on the Friday afternoon.

All Information:
    Tel: 07776365059 or from Rep of Ireland (0044) 7776365059
    Email: rb180irishdarts@yahoo.co.uk
    I was their last year was good fun, won the 5 a side team championship should be a lot more pros this year as good prize money I will be going to this for sure!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Didn't realise that there were other sports competitions running over the weekend as well. Sounds like a great weekend away to me. I'll definitely be going to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bobflatley

Was at this event the last two years and it is ever improving. Played the team event on the friday night, and the Mayo county board cut their own throats by dictating to their players that only one intercounty player for each pub team. Each player brought a pub team but teams from other counties had multiple county players!
    Good games though and we got beat second round in a derby match with lads from the next town over to us.
    Last year they took the team event to the final stage on fri night and used it as a showpiece before the pro's final on the sunday. Setanta sports were there on the sunday so the lads who made the final were televised (albeit belatedely).
    Good atmosphere and the pros mix with the crowd happily. Almost all the top players attend though neither Phil nor Barny showed last year Phil usually shows and met him there in 2005. James Wade sat in with me and a mate before his semi last year and had a chat, he approached us! Very relaxed atmosphere.
    If you are into pool or poker they run these as well and some of the darty pros play if they have't got a game that night. Played the poker on the Sat. night and won!
    All in all a good weekend if you like drink and darts, I'll be there again hopefully

In fairness the team we were in that won last year had NO county players the side just clicked on the day, looking foward to trying to retain the competiton though!!

On next weekend, anyone else on here going?? The 5 man team is now down to a 3 man team event which is dissapointing as we can't try and retain the title:( . Still though looking forward to the weekend though, changed my darts a few weeks back playing better in the league but this will be the real test!! (good practice for the SkyBet qualifiers the following Sunday in City West also).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I would love to go but I'm going to miss it, I'll be out of the country. Good luck with it Carrickman, let us know how you get on.

Cheers, I will post the results here next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Carrickman wrote:
    On next weekend, anyone else on here going?? The 5 man team is now down to a 3 man team event which is dissapointing as we can't try and retain the title:( . Still though looking forward to the weekend though, changed my darts a few weeks back playing better in the league but this will be the real test!! (good practice for the SkyBet qualifiers the following Sunday in City West also).

Ring Marion McDermott to see if any county players available for yez:D :D as they have a soft touch for yez down there in the south west:D :D

shiibata wrote:
    Ring Marion McDermott to see if any county players available for yez:D :D as they have a soft touch for yez down there in the south west:D :D
    Don't we know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 benfaqwa

Is this gonna be on telly?

• Advertisement

benfaqwa wrote:
    Is this gonna be on telly?

I doubt it, Irish TV stations don't seem interested in Darts at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Carrickman wrote:
    Cheers, I will post the results here next week.
    Anyone got any news on Saturday's West of Ireland Open?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭The Bull

LATEST RESULTS from the Ireland Open Classic Players Championship being held at the TF Royal Hotel, Castlebar.

Ireland Open Classic Players Championship
    Last 16
    Denis Ovens 3-1 Dave Ladley
    Kevin Painter 3-2 Wayne Mardle
    Adrian Lewis 3-0 Mark Dudbridge
    Alan Tabern 3-1 Colin Lloyd
    Wayne Jones 3-0 John MaGowan
    Mark Walsh 3-1 Darren Johnson
    Michael van Gerwen 3-1 Dennis Priestley
    Colin Osborne 3-2 Adrian Gray

Quarter-Finals
    Denis Ovens v Kevin Painter
    Adrian Lewis v Alan Tabern
    Wayne Jones v Mark Walsh
    Michael van Gerwen v Colin Osborne

Quarter-Finals
    Denis Ovens 3-2 Kevin Painter
    Adrian Lewis 3-1 Alan Tabern
    Wayne Jones 1-3 Mark Walsh
    Michael van Gerwen 2-3 Colin Osborne

Semi-Finals
    Denis Ovens v Adrian Lewis
    Mark Walsh v Colin Osborne

Cheers for the updates mate, keep them coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Semi-Finals
    Denis Ovens 3-0 Adrian Lewis
    Colin Osborne 3-0 Mark Walsh

Final
    Denis Ovens 3-0 Colin Osborne

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Jaysus, Ovens must have been on fire!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Apparently so, he destroyed Lewis in the semis only dropping one leg

Good enough weekend, didn’t stay to watch yesterdays darts we had a bit to much to drink over the weekend and decided not to enter yesterday. My highlight of the weekend was beating Ian Banks who is in the top 100 5-2 on Friday I lost the next round to the inform Shane O’Connor (he won the Irish Masters in Ennis last week) we also got to the final of the 3 man team event but lost it 3-2 to Sean McGowan’s team, staying in the residents bar until 5.30am and getting up at 9am for breakfast meant the darts were poor on Saturday so after another late night on Saturday I decided not to enter yesterday!!

Here the full results for the weekend:
    Ireland Open Classic Players Championship
    Round One
    Dave Ladley 3-0 Chris Sargeant
    Harry Anderson Bye (Richie Burnett)
    Mervin Robinson 3-1 Don Healy
    Wayne Atwood 3-2 Steve Brown
    Andrew Coulter 3-0 Colin Strong
    Lee White 3-0 Ray Farrell
    Michael Nyland 3-1 Patrick Nyland
    Alan Caves 3-1 John Quantock
    Justin McGuigan 3-1 Sean Gallagher
    Shane O'Connor 3-0 James Broderick
    Tony Eccles 3-0 John Morgan
    Ricky Dunlop 3-1 Robert Fletcher
    Michael O'Sullivan 3-2 Brian Cathcart
    Robert Watson-Lang 3-1 Jon Archer
    Kirk Shepherd 3-0 Kevin Hill
    Darren Johnson Bye (Owen Caffrey)
    Kevin Reade 3-1 Jack Nyland
    Felix McBrearty 3-1 Mark Jodrill
    Ian Branks 3-1 Ben Burton
    Michael van Gerwen 3-0 Colin Monk
    Brendan Dolan 3-2 Ricky Williams
    Adrian Gray 3-0 Barry Campbell
    John Ferrell 3-0 Michael Clampett
    Martin Carvill 3-1 Tom Cleary

Round Two
    James Wade 3-0 Freddie Harper
    Dave Ladley 3-1 Steve Hine
    Denis Ovens 3-0 Harry Anderson
    Wes Newton 3-0 Mervin Robinson
    Wayne Mardle 3-0 Dave Honey
    Steve Maish 3-2 Wayne Atwood
    Kevin Painter 3-1 Andrew Coulter
    Dennis Smith 3-0 Lee White
    Adrian Lewis 3-1 Raymie Williams
    Lionel Sams 3-0 Michael Nyland
    Mark Dudbridge 3-1 Alan Caves
    Steve Beaton 3-0 Patrick McGuigan
    Colin Lloyd 3-0 Andrew Dwyer
    Darren Webster 3-2 Shane O'Connor
    Alan Tabern 3-0 Tony Eccles
    Mick McGowan 3-1 Ricky Dunlop
    Shane Lennon Bye (Terry Jenkins)
    John MaGowan 3-0 Michael O'Sullivan
    Wayne Jones 3-1 Robert Watson-Lang
    Andy Smith 3-2 Kirk Shepherd
    Geoff Wylie Bye (Roland Scholten)
    Darren Johnson 3-2 Gary Welding
    Ronnie Baxter 3-0 Kevin Reade
    Mark Walsh 3-0 Felix McBrearty
    Dennis Priestley Bye (Steve Smith)
    Vincent van der Voort 3-0 Ian Branks
    Michael van Gerwen 3-1 Andy Jenkins
    Brendan Dolan 3-1 Bob Anderson
    Peter Manley 3-2 Roy Baillie
    Adrian Gray 3-1 Matt Clark
    Colin Osborne 3-2 John Ferrell
    Alan Warriner-Little 3-0 Martin Carvill

Round Three
    Dave Ladley 3-2 James Wade
    Denis Ovens 3-0 Wes Newton
    Wayne Mardle 3-2 Steve Maish
    Kevin Painter 3-1 Dennis Smith
    Adrian Lewis 3-0 Lionel Sams
    Mark Dudbridge 3-1 Steve Beaton
    Colin Lloyd 3-0 Darren Webster
    Alan Tabern 3-0 Mick McGowan
    John MaGowan 3-0 Shane Lennon
    Wayne Jones 3-0 Andy Smith
    Darren Johnson 3-2 Geoff Wylie
    Mark Walsh 3-1 Ronnie Baxter
    Dennis Priestley 3-2 Vincent van der Voort
    Michael van Gerwen 3-2 Brendan Dolan
    Adrian Gray 3-0 Peter Manley
    Colin Osborne 3-0 Alan Warriner-Little

Last 16
    Denis Ovens 3-1 Dave Ladley
    Kevin Painter 3-2 Wayne Mardle
    Adrian Lewis 3-0 Mark Dudbridge
    Alan Tabern 3-1 Colin Lloyd
    Wayne Jones 3-0 John MaGowan
    Mark Walsh 3-1 Darren Johnson
    Michael van Gerwen 3-1 Dennis Priestley
    Colin Osborne 3-2 Adrian Gray

Quarter-Finals
    Denis Ovens 3-2 Kevin Painter
    Adrian Lewis 3-1 Alan Tabern
    Wayne Jones 1-3 Mark Walsh
    Michael van Gerwen 2-3 Colin Osborne

Semi-Finals
    Denis Ovens 3-0 Adrian Lewis (2-1, 2-0, 2-0)
    Mark Walsh 0-3 Colin Osborne (1-2, 1-2, 0-2)

Final
    Denis Ovens 3-0 Colin Osborne (2-1, 2-1, 2-1)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭The Rooster

In Saturday's West of Ireland Open, I understand that Ronnie Baxter won, beating Andy Smith in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

So annoyed I forgot about this event, I was fully sure it was this weekend. Would have been nice to go down for a look and it is only a thirtyfive minute drive for me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ovensbt

Eric Bristow said on Sky Sports the other night,That Phil Taylor lost to Denis Ovens in Ireland.Is this true or not.The Saturday tournament not The Sunday One.Any info on this would be very usefull.thanks
    Steven

Advertisement