Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-06-2007, 23:27   #1
Woof!

Taxi cancellation fee???

Howdy all. Let me set the scene. I live at home. No car. gf lives at home and shares a car with sister. It was sisters turn to have the car tonight.

<rant>
gf in my house decides wants to go home. My parents are out so can't give her a lift (about a 5 mins drive but ****far to walk/crappy to get a bus). So upon finding out that her father is sleeping decides to ring a taxi, grand.

While ringing the taxi she gets a message from daddy saying he'll be over to pick her up. After the 5 seconds spent reading the message I ring the taxi firm back up and say that the cab isn't needed anymore. The "friendly lady" at the other end of the phone claims that a €7 cancellation fee has to be paid as it's a saturday night. Needless to say I tell her where to go.

But my question is, is this fee legal? I mean there was no ****ing way I was paying this fee, besides how do they expect to collect it? Especially with the likes of people heading into town on a saturday night.

This is a bit of a rant and I apologise but im really pissed off that they would try to slap that on me after the space of no more than 30 seconds and the woman on the phone was quite frankly being a bitch. If this is illegal I am determined to make some form of complaint as it's ridiculous as I called back immediately and I'm quite sure this taxi company doesn't fly choppers.

</rant>
Advertisement
16-06-2007, 23:34   #2
county

a load of cock if you ask me,and how do they think they will get this cancellation fee of you
16-06-2007, 23:39   #3
Woof!

My point exactly, It was one of those things that just really got to me though. A pack of bastards they are.
16-06-2007, 23:41   #4
Ruu_Old

Never heard of such a thing and a load of rubbish if it did come into effect with some taxis. Maybe she was expecting you to give the CC details over the phone. "Eh yeah, I'll send the money in the post!"
16-06-2007, 23:46   #5
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
or they could have put your name and the number you called from into a little book or computer with 'e7' owed.
Advertisement
16-06-2007, 23:57   #6
zuutroy

Send a message via Skype™ to zuutroy
Drove a taxi (for a week). Phantom cancellation fee is a load of crap.
16-06-2007, 23:58   #7
Jumpy

Never heard of such a fee. Large company or small?
I would suggest a name and shame, however I am not sure if the charter allows it.
17-06-2007, 00:03   #8
Basq

Send a message via Skype™ to Basq
OP.. i just checked and you owe me €24 for the "start a thread fee" - i expect it Tuesday morning (19/06) at the latest.

Every day it's late after that date incurs a 300% "late fee".

PS - fee sounds like utter crap.. was it a local small company? I'd suggest contacting some sort of Consumer Affairs patsy, or even ring the taxi crowd and ask to speak to the head of the company and bring up the charge to them.
17-06-2007, 00:04   #9
Binomate
Banned

It's contract law I supose, but unless they've made this term clear to you, you really shouldn't have to pay it. Just tell them to bugger off.
Advertisement
17-06-2007, 00:16   #10
Karoma

Woof!: where are you based?
It's not legally binding, just never use the firm again - in case they try to get the money, and because they sound like cowboys. If they had arrived at your doorstep, and you then told them that they were not needed, I could understand but you rang and cancelled (Even if they were close, tough look. They should be grateful that you phoned and cancelled unlike so many others.)
17-06-2007, 00:17   #11
Karoma

Moved from AH.
17-06-2007, 09:48   #12
Dirty Knuckles

I'm a taxi driver.

No they can't charge you this. I'm not sure if taxi companies are regulated by the taxi regulators office, but you can ring them and be advised.

My advice would be to use another company in the future.
17-06-2007, 13:13   #13
Newaglish

I'm presuming you live in Dublin which means you should probably be able to use a different taxi service in future. They probably aren't legally entitled to claim the fee but will use it as a little stranglehold over people by not providing any services till they get it.

If it's the only taxi service in town though you may be in a slightly more difficult situation!
17-06-2007, 17:00   #14
biko
Arbiter

Name and shame
17-06-2007, 18:23   #15
Dirty Knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by biko
Name and shame

I'd say the same.

Name and Shame the company.

Like I said earlier, I'm a taxi driver. I work for one of the biggest taxi companies in Dublin city.

The only time I've heard of cancellation fee's are in the case of companies with accounts with the company. If I show up on time and the contact isn't there (for any reason) I get a 'no contact' fee. This is usually anywhere from €6-€8. This is with the agreement of the firm holding the account with us.

But I've never heard of a taxi company imposing a fee on a private hire.

What company was it?.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion