Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi cancellation fee???

Options
  • 16-06-2007 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Howdy all. Let me set the scene. I live at home. No car. gf lives at home and shares a car with sister. It was sisters turn to have the car tonight.

<rant>
    gf in my house decides wants to go home. My parents are out so can't give her a lift (about a 5 mins drive but ****far to walk/crappy to get a bus). So upon finding out that her father is sleeping decides to ring a taxi, grand.

While ringing the taxi she gets a message from daddy saying he'll be over to pick her up. After the 5 seconds spent reading the message I ring the taxi firm back up and say that the cab isn't needed anymore. The "friendly lady" at the other end of the phone claims that a €7 cancellation fee has to be paid as it's a saturday night. Needless to say I tell her where to go.

But my question is, is this fee legal? I mean there was no ****ing way I was paying this fee, besides how do they expect to collect it? Especially with the likes of people heading into town on a saturday night.

This is a bit of a rant and I apologise but im really pissed off that they would try to slap that on me after the space of no more than 30 seconds and the woman on the phone was quite frankly being a bitch. If this is illegal I am determined to make some form of complaint as it's ridiculous as I called back immediately and I'm quite sure this taxi company doesn't fly choppers.

</rant>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

a load of cock if you ask me,and how do they think they will get this cancellation fee of you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Woof!

My point exactly, It was one of those things that just really got to me though. A pack of bastards they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Never heard of such a thing and a load of rubbish if it did come into effect with some taxis. Maybe she was expecting you to give the CC details over the phone. :) "Eh yeah, I'll send the money in the post!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

or they could have put your name and the number you called from into a little book or computer with 'e7' owed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Drove a taxi (for a week). Phantom cancellation fee is a load of crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Never heard of such a fee. Large company or small?
    I would suggest a name and shame, however I am not sure if the charter allows it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

OP.. i just checked and you owe me €24 for the "start a thread fee" - i expect it Tuesday morning (19/06) at the latest.

Every day it's late after that date incurs a 300% "late fee".

PS - fee sounds like utter crap.. was it a local small company? I'd suggest contacting some sort of Consumer Affairs patsy, or even ring the taxi crowd and ask to speak to the head of the company and bring up the charge to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

It's contract law I supose, but unless they've made this term clear to you, you really shouldn't have to pay it. Just tell them to bugger off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Woof!: where are you based?
    It's not legally binding, just never use the firm again - in case they try to get the money, and because they sound like cowboys. If they had arrived at your doorstep, and you then told them that they were not needed, I could understand but you rang and cancelled (Even if they were close, tough look. They should be grateful that you phoned and cancelled unlike so many others.)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Moved from AH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Dirty Knuckles

I'm a taxi driver.

No they can't charge you this. I'm not sure if taxi companies are regulated by the taxi regulators office, but you can ring them and be advised.

My advice would be to use another company in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I'm presuming you live in Dublin which means you should probably be able to use a different taxi service in future. They probably aren't legally entitled to claim the fee but will use it as a little stranglehold over people by not providing any services till they get it.

If it's the only taxi service in town though you may be in a slightly more difficult situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Name and shame

biko wrote:
    Name and shame

I'd say the same.

Name and Shame the company.

Like I said earlier, I'm a taxi driver. I work for one of the biggest taxi companies in Dublin city.

The only time I've heard of cancellation fee's are in the case of companies with accounts with the company. If I show up on time and the contact isn't there (for any reason) I get a 'no contact' fee. This is usually anywhere from €6-€8. This is with the agreement of the firm holding the account with us.

But I've never heard of a taxi company imposing a fee on a private hire.

What company was it?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Sounds like a load of ****e if they don't make it clear on the phone. I'd love to know what's the basis behind this.

Also as someone else mentioned, what if he arrives at the door, rings the bell, and then you tell him you don't need it? You get charged the call out and the minimum fair?

;)
    ciaranfo wrote:
    Also as someone else mentioned, what if he arrives at the door, rings the bell, and then you tell him you don't need it? You get charged the call out and the minimum fair?

Actually if your on time then by law you are obligied to pay the minimum fare plus callout charge. Although I'd be surprised if a driver looked for it.

I've had that happen a few times, usually the person has rang the company and cancelled and for some reason or another the company never pass the message down to me. Its annoying, but no big deal really and since the driver is representing the company, and looking for their business again, he (taxi driver) will usually just take it on the chin.

Something just slightly off topic...

If you receive bad service from a taxi driver, report the matter to the taxi regulator and the cab company if you've ordered from them. Both people take complaints very seriously.

Unlike most other services industries Taxi's have a regulator to oversee us, their an independent body and very well paid ;) use 'em!.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I've decided to implement a 'late' fee. Basically one euro for every minute a taxi arrives later than the 'booked' time. Free trips to the airport for me from now on.

Seriously though, my girlfriend travels a lot and the amount of no shows and late arrivals (upto 40 minutes) is unbelievable. and they would be booked well in advance.

sweetie wrote:
    I've decided to implement a 'late' fee. Basically one euro for every minute a taxi arrives later than the 'booked' time. Free trips to the airport for me from now on.

Seriously though, my girlfriend travels a lot and the amount of no shows and late arrivals (upto 40 minutes) is unbelievable. and they would be booked well in advance.
    The reason for this is simple...

Have you ever been in a taxi going from Tallaght to Grafton St, and the guy gets on the radios in before the quays and radios in that he's free? The dispatcher person then tells him where to go next.

So ... as far as the dispatcher is concerned (though they're no doubt aware what's going on) the taxi is on it's way then and there when it actually has to travel up the quays through traffic and then back down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

OP - Ring taxi regulator, company gets a bollocking. Nice result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

Binomate wrote:
    It's contract law I supose, but unless they've made this term clear to you, you really shouldn't have to pay it. Just tell them to bugger off.
    I agree. Surely they're legally obliged to advise you of the cancellation fee at the time of booking. Another vote for Naming and Shaming!

It is what it's.

• Advertisement

ciaranfo wrote:
    The reason for this is simple...

Have you ever been in a taxi going from Tallaght to Grafton St, and the guy gets on the radios in before the quays and radios in that he's free? The dispatcher person then tells him where to go next.

So ... as far as the dispatcher is concerned (though they're no doubt aware what's going on) the taxi is on it's way then and there when it actually has to travel up the quays through traffic and then back down again.

You make no sense what so ever.

Almost without exception Taxi's are using a digi system now. There's very little, if any, voice communications between the cab and the base.

When your car is engaged the base computer can not give you a job, 'nor can you plot for one.

What might happen at busy hour's and when the base is under pressure is they (the base) might send out a message to all the car's to let them now if anyone is dropping in certain area's so they (the base) can tell quiries if they're likely to have a car soon.

If the driver gets a job of the radio, the computer know's where he's going because its despatched that job. However if the driver picked up off the street the base won't know where the taxi is going, however it will know from the computer that the car is engaged.

Guys there's enough taxi companies out there, don't restrict yourself to just the one if their providing a bad service. You wouldn't eat from a bad chinkers too often would ya?.

And the urban myths, guys don't post something on hearsey. If you've a question I'll try answer it honestly like I've done already.

The two taxi companys I'd deal with a bit do what I mentioned a lot. I'm only speaking from experience and I never heard any communications from base to ask where they were.

Taxi guy: "41 to base. Free at the Blanchardstown SC" (and he's down at the M50 Blanch exit in heavy traffic).
    Dispather: "alright, goto 123 fake st"
    Taxi guy: "that's a rodge"

What am I seeing then? On a constant basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Almost without exception Taxi's are using a digi system now. There's very little, if any, voice communications between the cab and the base.

When your car is engaged the base computer can not give you a job, 'nor can you plot for one.

What might happen at busy hour's and when the base is under pressure is they (the base) might send out a message to all the car's to let them now if anyone is dropping in certain area's so they (the base) can tell quiries if they're likely to have a car soon.

If the driver gets a job of the radio, the computer know's where he's going because its despatched that job. However if the driver picked up off the street the base won't know where the taxi is going, however it will know from the computer that the car is engaged.

Guys there's enough taxi companies out there, don't restrict yourself to just the one if their providing a bad service. You wouldn't eat from a bad chinkers too often would ya?.

And the urban myths, guys don't post something on hearsey. If you've a question I'll try answer it honestly like I've done already.
    i've seen it happen quite often too where the driver will say he's free long before he actually is. usually an urban myth involves a friend of a friend of a friend so is it still called an urban myth when its happened to yourself many times as it has to both myself and ciaranfo?

as for this digital system that can tell if the car is engaged, i assume it knows this based on whether or not the light is on and that might explain why i see so many drivers with their lights on and people in their cars :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

;)

Actually if your on time then by law you are obligied to pay the minimum fare plus callout charge. Although I'd be surprised if a driver looked for it..
    Great, so I can ring a taxi from cork to pick up that prick of a neighbour in dublin who lets his dog **** on my lawn and by law he has to pay for it.
    Doubt anybody with an IQ above 50 has ever forked out for such nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

ciaranfo wrote:
    The two taxi companys I'd deal with a bit do what I mentioned a lot. I'm only speaking from experience and I never heard any communications from base to ask where they were.

Taxi guy: "41 to base. Free at the Blanchardstown SC" (and he's down at the M50 Blanch exit in heavy traffic).
    Dispather: "alright, goto 123 fake st"
    Taxi guy: "that's a rodge"

What am I seeing then? On a constant basis.

What you are seeing is the taxi driver lying his ass off telling the dispatcher he has nobody in his cab and he is free to pick up a fare. Poor sod who reserved the taxi will be left waiting for the taxi driver to drop you off first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

My address is barred from a taxi company (can't remember which, it's one on the southside) for cancelling a taxi and not paying the cancellation fee.

as for this digital system that can tell if the car is engaged, i assume it knows this based on whether or not the light is on and that might explain why i see so many drivers with their lights on and people in their cars :mad:

The roof sign is a pain in the ass.

If I take a job off the radio, the roof sign stay's on until I engage the meter. So if I've to travel (for example) two miles to pick up a fare, everyone I pass along the way can assume I'm free based on the fact that my sign is lit up.

The vas majority of meter's these days are connected to the roof sign, and radio system. SO when the car is engaged the light is off, except in the case of a radio car travelling to a job.

Another myth.. The meter starts as soon as the driver gets the call... It doesn't. The meter starts when the driver arrives at the address and the assigned time. The call out charge is €2-.

I hope that's answered at least some of your quiries and I'll gladly try to clear up anymore you might have.

But I won't entertain rants re. bad drivers. There are some terrible taxi drivers out there, but the regulator's office is paid to take care of them and people should always bring your concerns to that office.

I hate bad taxi driver's as much as everyone else here.

DonJose wrote:
    What you are seeing is the taxi driver lying his ass off telling the dispatcher he has nobody in his cab and he is free to pick up a fare. Poor sod who reserved the taxi will be left waiting for the taxi driver to drop you off first.
    That's my point.

DonJose wrote:

I kinda know what your trying to say, however that makes no sense for the driver.

However lets say thats the situation, at least the hirer know's there's a taxi on the way to his address. As its unlikely the taxi driver would take a fare without knowing the details, you can assume the driver know's he'll be at the address fairly quckly. Otherwise he risk's passing street fare's.

Hope that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Is this another "It's this way in Dublin so it must be the same everywhere" generalisation ?

My taxi into the station on Monday had the driver reporting he was free 1/2 mile from the station which was grand.

Advertisement