Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faourite Asian Movie?

Options
  • 21-05-2007 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭

It's between Hero and Princess Mononoke for me. Honourable mention for Battle Royale aswell.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think there's little point playing favourites. There's just too many greats, too many styles, and so forth.

I mean, just look at the films of Akira Kurosawa, Takeshi Kitano, Hayao Miyazaki, Yoji Yamada, Chan-Wook Park, Takashi Miike, Shinya Tsukamoto, Hideo Nakata, Kim Jee-Woon, Kim Ki-Duk, Isao Takahata, and so many others. Can you really pin down a favourite? There's no point even thinking about it...

Anyway, if you want some recommendations:

Ran
    Brotherhood
    Hana-bi
    Zatoichi
    Memories Of Murder
    Save The Green Planet
    A Tale Of Two Sisters
    Grave Of The Fireflies
    Beautiful Boxer
    Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... and Spring
    Princess Mononoke
    My Neighbor Totoro
    Kikujiro
    Twilight Samurai
    Pom Poko

That should do it for now. I've got dozens more to recommend if you want though, but those films are all immensely good, and well worth a watch, so what are you waiting for? Go get 'em and enjoy.

Oh, and when watching Audition, keep in mind that it's more of a slow-burning Thriller / Mystery than anything. You'll enjoy it much more if you keep that in mind, because it's been overhyped as a gorefest, and people have had unrealistic expectations when watching it, only to be dissapointed when it's a very different film to what they've expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Would have to be Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon for me. I absolutely love it to bits.
    Although Infernal Affairs would be up there on my list due to the amazing acting from Tony Leung, and everything else.

Oldboy, Save the Green Planet would get honourable mentions from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭paddycorry

I think there's little point playing favourites. There's just too many greats, too many styles, and so forth.

I mean, just look at the films of Akira Kurosawa, Takeshi Kitano, Hayao Miyazaki, Yoji Yamada, Chan-Wook Park, Takashi Miike, Shinya Tsukamoto, Hideo Nakata, Kim Jee-Woon, Kim Ki-Duk, Isao Takahata, and so many others. Can you really pin down a favourite? There's no point even thinking about it...

Wasn't there a Hideo Nakata playing for Fulham a couple of seasons ago!?

Thanks for the recommendations, and i'd probably agree there's probably little point trying to pick one stand-alone favourite, especally considering the range of Asian movies on offer, even in your list alone... of the ones from your list i've seen, you could try and compare Hana-bi, Grave of the Fireflies, Zatoichi and Ran.. but it'd be a difficult exercise!!

Ah, so you've seen a few of my recommendations. I trust you liked them, yes?

As far as a soccor playing Hideo Nakata, no ideas there I'm afraid...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Ichi the killer
    Police Story
    Drunken Master 1+2
    The Victim
    Encounters of the spooky kind
    Once upon a time in China trilogy
    Wong Fei Hung

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Visitor Q !
    Quite possibly one of the oddest films that i have ever seen but yet theres something about it that raises some very conflicting emotions. Disgust, Humour, Pity the whole spectrum is there, albeit delivered in a very odd manner, sometimes the complete randomness and way that certain scenes are delivered are just completely overpowering.

If you are offended by graphic imagery, incest, and general oddness I would stay away though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭paddycorry

Ah, so you've seen a few of my recommendations. I trust you liked them, yes?

As far as a soccor playing Hideo Nakata, no ideas there I'm afraid...

Probably a different Nakata...!

From your list: Grave of the Fireflies is brilliant, really enjoyed that one. Hana-bi and Kikujiro were nice, meandering road movies (wasn't Kikujiro supposedly Takeshi's remake of the Wizard of Oz?). Ran is a properly epic movie, dramatic stuff, but I haven't seen any other by the same fella (Kurosawa?).. Zatoichi was a little bizarre (musical numbers kind of jarred a little..) but the blind swordsman idea is excellent, as long as Rutger Hauer isn't involved!! I loved Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away as well, grew up watching a lot of below-average manga, so can see the quality of that stuff... 'Kiki's Delivery Service' is a nice little film as well.. more for kids really though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Ah theres loads but Oldboy probably my favourite asian film of all time and in top 5 films of all time. Ive always had the intention of buying a load of Kurisawa movies and watching them at some stage but never got a round to it. Oh and I thought Audition was a pile of horse crap, bored the arse off me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Hidetoshi Nakata played for Bolton, used to play in Italy before that :)

Very nice list Karl, have/seen most of those movies, plan on watching the ones I haven't once exams are over.

You probably already know, but Hidden Blade by the same guy who did Twilight Samurai is supposed to be pretty good also. Twilight Samurai was class :)

Zatoichi was so amazing, that would definitely be in my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Tampopo! It's excellent, somebody please watch it!

Twilight Samurai... I forgot about that one. Excellent film.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,199 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Have only seen around half of these but the one's I have are amongst the most impressive films I've ever had the pleasure to sit through. I'd also like to throw in Sympathy for Mr Vengance , the vastly superior precussor to Oldboy. Again, every Studio Ghibli film can pretty much be added to that list (except, perhaps, the Cat Returns ;) ). Karl has listed three of the finest (Pom Poko, Princess Mononoke, and the IMO defining and masterpiece Ghibli film, My Neighbour Totoro). Spirited Away and Laputa would likely complete the top five Ghibli films.
    Battle Royale, Audition etc... are givens.
    Ran is the one epic film I would recommend that everyone has to see.
    Spring, Summer... is also an under-appreciated work of art. It truly is a hypnotic experience.
    Oh, and you can't forget the likes of Akira and Millenium Actress

Have only seen around half of these but the one's I have are amongst the most impressive films I've ever had the pleasure to sit through.

Well then hurry up and see the rest! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭rivers

farwell my concubine, infernal affairs, oldboy, brotherhood, raise the red lantern, 2046, seven samurai
    if we're talking kung fu movies (can't really talk asian cinema without them) i'd say prodigal son, project A, crouching tiger hidden dragon, once upon a time in china 1&2, dragon's forever, knockabout, fearless, fist of legend, warriors two...

for kurosawa films should check out laser on georges st. they have a good selection downstairs...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Won't go into a rant, but the ones on Karl's list that I have seen I would heartily endorse also:

As for a few of my own recommendations:

A Bittersweet Life (excellent drama/martial arts from the director of A Tale Of Two Sisters)

Joint Security Area (Korean War drama from Park Chan Wook)

Bangkok Dangerous (Excellent drama/thriller about a deaf-mute assassin)

The Eye (Another Pang brothers offering, terrific atmospheric supernatural horror)

Crying Freeman (Adaption of a graphic novel, drama/martial arts flick starring Mark Dacascos)

Brother (Takeshi Kitano Yakuza drama)

Hard Boiled (John Woo action flick)

Ong Bak (All out ass-kickery :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

rivers wrote:
    farwell my concubine, infernal affairs, oldboy, brotherhood, raise the red lantern, 2046, seven samurai
    if we're talking kung fu movies (can't really talk asian cinema without them) i'd say prodigal son, project A, crouching tiger hidden dragon, once upon a time in china 1&2, dragon's forever, knockabout, fearless, fist of legend, warriors two...

for kurosawa films should check out laser on georges st. they have a good selection downstairs...

Glad to see someone mentioned Infernal Affairs. For the one or two who DON'T know, this was the original of The Departed. It's part 1 of a trilogy.

IA1: Brilliant. Top Notch. Amazing Cast. Creme de la creme of Hong Kong cinema.
    IA2: Pretty good. Not as good as original.
    IA3: Brilliant. Just as good as original

Also, if you want to get away from Martial Arts or Cop films you should always try out Wong Kar-Wai. Especially Chungking Express and In The Mood For Love. I know Chungking Express is one of Tarantino's faves (He had it released in the US as "Quentin Tarantino Presents....."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,199 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Karl: You know I will always do as our Evil Overlord obeys ;) *wanders off to buy films*
    Also, if you want to get away from Martial Arts or Cop films you should always try out Wong Kar-Wai. Especially Chungking Express and In The Mood For Love. I know Chungking Express is one of Tarantino's faves (He had it released in the US as "Quentin Tarantino Presents....."

Indeed. Chungking Express is a terrific film. The visuals are wonderful, the story extremely likable, and the repetitive soundtrack hypnotic. I really must pick up the others - been dying to see In the Mood For Love, but the DVD is always slightly above budget :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Indeed. Chungking Express is a terrific film. The visuals are wonderful, the story extremely likable, and the repetitive soundtrack hypnotic. I really must pick up the others - been dying to see In the Mood For Love, but the DVD is always slightly above budget :(

Glad to see people who realise it's not all kung-fu, period kung-fu and/or cops :) I've seen In the Mood For Love and 2046 going cheap in HMV (Can't remember price, sorry). Thought 2046 was only interesting: Kind of a sequel to ITMFL but found Leung's character to be not a likeable character. But, it has got Maggie Chung, Faye Wong, Zhang Ziyi and Gong Li all in the same film. Yay. And that mad Oz Chris Nolan's mad visuals as usual.

For all looking to get into Wong Kar-wai I reccommend Chungking Express as your first dip. (Just hope you like The Mamas And The Papa's "California Dreaming" is all)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Everyone has covered a lot of the films I like (particularly Karl, though I do want to stress: watch anything by Shinya Tsukamoto and Takashi Miike).

I just want to add 2 feel good movies that I love, but don't mention that often:

My Sassy Girl (Korean)
    Swing Girls (Japanese)

Advertisement