Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 more Spider-Man movies!

Options
  • 08-05-2007 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭

I was fairly surprised when Sony Pictures recently confirming that they are going to release at least 3 more Spider-Man movies, even though it seemed inevitable considering that they have made record profits from the franchise so far.

I just cannot see what direction it can possible go now, especially after losing a huge chunk of credibility with the extremely disappointing third movie coupled with the possible loss of director and lead actor. I would personally like to see Bryan Singer direct the next couple of movies with the first having Spider-Man versus The Lizard (Dr. Curt Connors, who appears in all of the previous movies). At least Singer has an outside chance of doing something new & exciting with these movies if Ramini was to walk away.

The other thing is that most of Spider-Man's enemies (that were not already used) are really quite similar to each other, for example; Green Goblin is very like Hobgoblin & Jack O'Lantern and Venom is very similar to Carnage. Also other characters like Rhino, Kraven the Hunter, Vulture, Mysterio & Electro would not be very interesting in a movie adaptation IMO and would probably only hurt the franchise more (like the Batman series did before Batman Begins came out).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I don't want Singer going anywhere near Spiderman, after watching the awful, awful Superman Returns.

I really don't know who should replace Raimi, or Dunst or Maguire. With the already high production costs, I can see relatively unknowns cast in the roles, with an up-and-coming director in the hot-seat. Zack Snyder? He's doing Watchmen next, but afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

It's fairly common knowledge that this is set to be Toby's last one, right, so I think a new lead and a new director would liven things up. What I'd really like is for them to wait a few years and then do a reimagining of the series a la Batman Begins, etc. There's what 40 years of baddies to choose from, it doesn't need to be a big name one like Venom and Doc Ock. I kinda like the idea of say the Sinister Six popping up, or the likes of say Chris Walken as Kingpin, oooh. There's miles of er mileage left in this series, but they do need to rethink it slightly (or maybe not, just read that 3 is the highest grossing opening weekend movie of all time or something)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I don't want Singer going anywhere near Spiderman, after watching the awful, awful Superman Returns.

Agreed. That film was bloody terrible (even worse than Superman IV).

Good or bad I wouldn't like to see any more Spidey movies that didn't have Raimi/Maguire/Dunst all on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

corblimey wrote:
    Kingpin
    Went with the Daredevil series to a different studio, so highly unlikely to be making any Spider-Man appearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Yeah I agree that Superman Returns was rubbish, but Singer did direct X-Men 1 & 2 (along with the brilliant Usual Suspects) so I would not count him out of the running because of one blip. Zach Snyder was a good call, but I think he would prefer to concentrate on Watchmen (which could spawn it's own successful franchise). But then again, Sam Ramini has not ruled himself out for directing another Spider-Man movie so he could stay on for a forth and try make amends for the lacklustre third instalment.

As for future plot lines, the Sinister Six could well make an appearance, hopefully not though & if so, hopefully not together in the same movie ;) Speaking of which, did anyone notice the framed newspaper cover behind J. Jonah Jameson in his office in the latest movie? It said 'DOC OCK STILL AT LARGE'. He could make another appearance :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Except for the fact he died at the end of the 2nd one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Pigman II wrote:
    Agreed. That film was bloody terrible (even worse than Superman IV).

Good or bad I wouldn't like to see any more Spidey movies that didn't have Raimi/Maguire/Dunst all on board.

4th the opinion that super returns sucked

tbh.......maguire and dunst are awful in the 'first 3' , but, for some reason,thier crappness shared a bond that allowed chemistry to make them watchable
    i shall miss raimi greatly........

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,205 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Ok Spidey 4, lets leave it a few years:

Pics up with Peter not having been very active as Spidey and concentrating on his "life". He's in college but working with Doc Connors as a part time lab assistant. Connors is very secretive about his work and goes missing.

Meanwhile, with not much from Spidey MacDonald "Mac" Gargan (played by Danny Masterson) has been snooping around looking for signs of the wall crawler. Mac stumbles across "something" (?) ... next thing you know spidey is attacked while searching Connors lab for clues to his whereabouts, attacked by Scorpion that is.

Over all the deal is that "someone" was after Connors for his research and sent Scorpion to get him (Connors is gone underground). When Scorpion fails the next guy is introduced (maybe Electro?) at the end movie.

Spidey 5 quickly follows where we see it continue with someone funding these new villians trying to take out spidey. Connors turns up, needing Peters (& Spideys) help - unfortunately while underground Connors used himself to test his research and is now the Lizzard. 5 ends with Connors being a semi-ally as Spidey is set to face off against the Sinister 6.

Too quick? Too Simple? Too many badguys?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

To properly do Carnage justice they'll have to make it an 18 rated film, as all we ever see him doing when not fighting spiderman is brutally killing civillians. I just don't see that coming out well. And aside from that I sincerely hope they don't put him in the next one as I hate that character.
    I can't think of anyone to fill the roles of Maguire and Dunst but I do like the idea of Zack Snyder as director.
    With regards to villains; The Jackal, Tombstone, Lizard, Mysterio and Electro (the latter two definitely need different costumes though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Hopefully we won't have another John Travlota Stayin' Alive scene with Pete strutting his stuff in Manhattan :rolleyes:

Slurms wrote:
    Except for the fact he died at the end of the 2nd one?

Not nessesarly. At the end of Spider-Man 2 we see Doc Ock sinking to the bottom of the river with his eyes fixed on the camera then it cuts away. It seems like a fairly inconclusive ending to me. He could easily be brought back in a later movie, and the 'clue' in the last movie only strengthens the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Raekwon wrote:
    Not nessesarly. At the end of Spider-Man 2 we see Doc Ock sinking to the bottom of the river with his eyes fixed on the camera then it cuts away. It seems like a fairly inconclusive ending to me. He could easily be brought back in a later movie, and the 'clue' in the last movie only strengthens the case.
    It's hardly a clue though, that paper could have been printed during the timeframe of the 2nd film.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Spiderman 4: The soych for mo money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I say let the Spideys bow out now and let Raimi get onto other things.

cough*Evil Dead 4* cough

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

NO MORE SPIDER-RUBBISH!

Unless bruce campbell plays mysterio and there is only 1 villain...

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

I really enjoyed spiderman 3 and thought the "stayin alive" bit was funny, there were a few dodgy bits but overall entertaining. Hard to imagine it with a new cast maybe they could jump ahead 10 years and use older actors, isnt he married with kids and all in the comics?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

CyberGhost wrote:
    Spiderman 4: The soych for mo money.
    Ain't that the truth.

Raimi was the only reason any of these films were watchable. Once he's gone Sony will hand the franchise over to some hack Brett Ratner-type. This 3-more-movies thing is bs, there'll be one more, max. After that bombs they'll start planning a reboot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

cough*Evil Dead 4* cough

would you trust raimi with ED4 with the shoite he's given us lately?? Remember Army of Darkness? Once he got a big budget it lost the edge over its predessors. Plus he wont have final cut over the flick (unlike ED1 & ED2) and no doubt the studio producers would have control over plot etc

Evil dead 4 starring Bruce, and eh toby maguire probably. Just wont work!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

ned78 wrote:
    Hopefully we won't have another John Travlota Stayin' Alive scene with Pete strutting his stuff in Manhattan :rolleyes:

that was my favorite scene in the movie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

nah
    for me the most assuming and best acted was the one where eddy takes up his new job and dishes it in petes face

There have been a few rumours flying around online that one of the villians to appear in Spider-Man 4 will be Morlun. He is one of the newer characters in the comics and I personally think he would probably be more suited to a movie like Blade rather then Spider-Man.

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 45,258 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

having read the wiki; if they followed that story line, especially the end, in the movies i'd be shocked. Very dark.

Tauren wrote:
    having read the wiki; if they followed that story line, especially the end, in the movies i'd be shocked. Very dark.

I 100% agree with you.

Going down this darker route would not make finical sense for Sony Pictures, it would increase the movie rating and therefore most likely isolate their main fan base (children/teens) and after all, they are only in it for the money ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Marvel tend not to mix the whole science & supernatural so I'd say theres no chance.

Advertisement