Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-04-2007, 00:26   #1
pgargan

Second-hand ladies bikes?

Hi,

A friend is looking for a cheap ladies bike for commuting around town. She's not in a position to fork out a fortune, especially as she won't be doing lots of mileage. Her only requirements are "It must have a basket"

Are there any places around Dublin that sell decent second-hand bikes at decent second-hand prices? I know the usual caveats about buying second-hand, but somewhere that sells basic bikes that don't fall apart two blocks later would be ideal.

Or, if buying new, where's best for a basic ladies bike? Places like CycleWays (as per the Recommended Links sticky) always struck me as being aimed at the enthusiast looking to blow €500 minimum, rather than a beginner whose only requirement is for a basket ...

Thanks.
Advertisement
11-04-2007, 00:52   #2
Membrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgargan
A friend is looking for a cheap ladies bike for commuting around town. She's not in a position to fork out a fortune, especially as she won't be doing lots of mileage. Her only requirements are "It must have a basket"
I wouldn't bother looking for a second hand from a shop, too poor quality for too much money. You might be able to get a good deal buying private second hand, but seeing as you can buy decent bikes new for ~E300 or less I would buy new.

Have a look at these bikes offered by CycleSuperstore: http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/p...d&resultCnt=50

The Raleigh Metro or the Planet Newport are nicely equipped bikes complete with a rear load carrier, it should be possible to fit a basket to either bike.
11-04-2007, 17:16   #3
hunnymonster

when is the next Garda sale? It might be an option? you can buy clip-on baskets in argos.
11-04-2007, 18:31   #4
pgargan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnymonster
when is the next Garda sale? It might be an option? you can buy clip-on baskets in argos.
I just missed it, unfortunately. It was at the end of March.
11-04-2007, 22:17   #5
RainyDay

Try buyandsell.ie
Advertisement
12-04-2007, 10:16   #6
Ghost Rider

I think you're safer buying new anyway. As far as I can tell, at the Garda auction, you don't get a chance to check the bikes out properly (- many of them are closely stacked next to each other so you might have to take four or five others out of the way to view one). And as for taking one for a test ride...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgargan
I just missed it, unfortunately. It was at the end of March.
12-04-2007, 10:23   #7
bullpost

Mike's Bikes in Patricks Street in Dun Laoghaire always have a decent selection in good nick for around 100 Euros. They're fairly friendly there so you could give them a ring to check what's in stock.
13-04-2007, 00:08   #8
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

I'd say square wheel in temple bar , as they do that sort of stuff, but there is a waiting list , so if you aren't in a hurry.
14-04-2007, 02:41   #9
Stargal

Send a message via MSN to Stargal
I got my bike second-hand from McQuaid's on Fitzmaurice Road in Ballygall (in between Glasnevin and Finglas). It was €100, has dual suspension, loads of gears, strong brakes and I've never had any problems at all with it - it was a great buy and I'm really happy with it.
Advertisement
01-10-2009, 22:38   #10
norarafferty

Ladies Bike

Hi Im looking for a reasonably good SAFE ladies bike for my daughter age 23 to cycle to IADT??? Do you live in Dun Laoire????
Nora

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion