Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom wireless

Options
  • 28-03-2007 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭

Hey, I just got eircom wireless and have installed it. It has a security WEP and I was wondering how to turn that off. You see, I have it connected on my laptop grand, as I have a wireless card, but my other computer is a PC with no card.

We got a Belkin external USB card for the PC and that had been picking up signals but it cant get onto our new wireless due to the WEP. I don't understand how to enter it on the Belkin program as it's a bit too techy for me and I also don't know how to set a different wireless manager up on the computer.

Any advice?? It's not possible to use the ethernet cable due to distance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Do you want everyone in the area to be able to use your wireless with out you knowing?
    Exceeding your download cap and even possibly doing something illegal that will be traced back to you.

If so type this into your web browser address bar 192.168.1.254
    That will bring up your routers admin page, default user is admin and default password is admin
    Go to expert mode and under wireless there should be an option to disable wep security.

I would highly recommed you do not do this and read up on enabling wpa security (not wep)

If you give the exact model of your usb wifi card I may be able to help you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

It's not possible to use the ethernet cable due to distance.
    What kind of distance are we talking about? Would it not be possible to extend either the phone line or run a longer ethernet cable to the router?

What Belkin stick do you have? Can you show us some screen grabs of the application? Someone here might be able to guide you through setting it up.

No wifi protection is bad. Not trying is worse, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

No wifi protection is bad. Not trying is worse, IMO.

Yup and remember wep or a weak wpa key is only slightly better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Ok, so we were actually using the neighbour's BB for like a year. But recently got secured. :mad: There are about 15 wireless connections around here, so they wont be stealing! That was just us :D No illegal stuff though!

It says on the PC that it can't refresh wireless list, you know when you click the lil wireless icon on tool bar. It says it's not managing it, Belkin is. I dunno how to do that WCZ thing its asking to do to switch.

Our new phone port was just installed today, on window on stairs. Adapters and wires coming across or downstairs isn't feasible as my Gran lives here and is likely to trip.

It's a Belkin wireless network USB that I got in Argos. Utility 1.0.7.4

It seems to be able to connect to everything but our one!! It's coming up as limited or no connectivity

• Advertisement

So this is what I cant work out, and I have no instructions.

belkin-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

By the looks of that, you have selected the WEP Shared Key system. You need to confirm on your router that thats what you're using (tuxy stated above how to check). If it is, you should see a number of keys indexed from 1 to 4. The active key will have a check or mark near it, enter that key and the key index number, and you should be able to connect then.

If you're not using the Shared Key WEP method, tell us what you are using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭bertisevil

For WEP key on that card,(I have the exact same card) on the second picture, select Open system. (This is the setting for WEP)

then in the next section enter the password that you previously entered in your router settings.

Edit:

And also speed settings in the first picture should be set to automatic

Btw WEP is useless as a form of encryption, especialy with the netopia routers that eircom gives out. They don't even filter weak WEP packets. It's possible to break one in about 30 minutes. you should look into WPA if you can (It's another more advanced form of endcryption)

bertisevil wrote:
    For WEP key on that card,(I have the exact same card) on the second picture, select Open system. (This is the setting for WEP)

then in the next section enter the password that you previously entered in your router settings.

Been doing that... Passphrase? It still has a wee lock pic beside it in the AP list and limited or no connectivity. It's wrecking my head

It says Encryption: on under site info

Ok, firstly maybe you can tell exactly what type of router you are using?

It's most likely a netopia router (assuming that it is), the first thing you need to do is setup your password for WEP in the router, to do this:

In the address bar of internet explorer enter:

http://192.168.1.254

This should bring up your wireless routers configuration page, (if it doesn't you need to connect your laptop directly to the router to setup your wireless)

now click on advanced settings

Then on 'configuration'
    then on 'wireless'
    make sure the wireless is enabled

You should also see an encryption key, copy this encryption key to a piece of paper. This is the Hexadecimal key you need to enter, as your passphrase

hope this helps,

bert

• Advertisement

bertisevil wrote:

You should also see an encryption key, copy this encryption key to a piece of paper. This is the Hexadecimal key you need to enter, as your passphrase

hope this helps,

bert

Theres an option on Belkin for entering hex with is 10, or the passP which is the WEP I was given by eircom. Belkin just won't turn off encryption. Do I gotta choose key 2 and enter the 2nd encryption code? I tried that but didnt unlock. I dunno if choosing use key 2 means i gotta change it on that site using my laptop. But will I need 2nd key then to get online with laptop. I cant change that option on the PC cos cant get online. Argh!

I'm thinking of just shoving computer in a different room and ripping up the carpet!

you should be able to use key number 1, as this is the default key. If eircom gave you a passphrase, then this is the key you should be using.

You are currently unable to access the router, so maybe there's been some mistake with your key.
    try connecting your laptop directly to the router using a network cable, this should allow you to access the router and check the settings

The belkin key gives you a number of different ways to enter the key, you can enter it as hexadecimal, a passphrase or alphanumeric. also the key that you have to enter most likely uses 128bit encryption NOT 64 bit, so make sure this option is enable in the belkin wireless utility when you're configuring it.

Yea 128 is on. Forget it, I'll just figure out a wire somehow. Thanks anyways guys. Mucho appreciated

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You should go into the router as instructed above choose expert mode and turn off wep and turn on wpa its very easy to do. Set up your password save your settings and then exit from the router.

When the belkin detects your wireless network now and you go to join it should ask you for the WPA password which you have just set up.

Advertisement