Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2fm New Breakfast Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Baranaby Harmlessly was a foolitz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Baranaby Harmlessly was a foolitz.

gimme back my ballooinz!

oooOOOOooo halloween, etc.

Nightwish wrote:
    I'm one of the few who likes Gerry Ryan!
    I didn't mind it myself until they started putting them feckin' (k)nobs on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Knob Nation is Oliver Callans payback after Mario Rosenstock allegedly screwed him over on paying him for his work on Gift Grub. Granted Callan can do some voices pretty well, but there is very little humour value in Knob Nation. The jokes revolve around the same stereotypes in each character, and become pretty predictable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

cson wrote:
    Is it me or are the jingles on that show some of the worst contrived annoying $hite ever concieved? Did they get monkeys to do it?
    They were worse on 104 when they rewrote the Gwen Stefani song to be about Nazis. I'm surprised no one complained about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Have to say, heard a Joe Duffy gag this morning.....hilarious. "We've got Sheila on line 7, hello Sheila...... You're not really on line 7 Sheila, your really on line 1, we just say it so it looks like we have loads and loads of lines..."
    Classic.

Heard another one from their fm104 days about a fella called matt molloy calling the Boston police dept about Santa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 kenzie

At this stage i'm getting really sick of this pair. Maybe i'm missing the best bits as I only listen to 20 minutes of it on my way to work but the whole Jim Jim's dad thing has got so annoying!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

THe PJ Gallagher calls are terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

kenzie wrote:
    At this stage i'm getting really sick of this pair.

There's a little thing on your radio called a button. Its used to switch stations. If they annoy you or if PJ Gallagher annoys others, SWITCH.

As for me I'm really enjoying it. They've started to settle in now and with a tweak here and there it'll be bullet proof. God it really makes Marty sound so ****e. His music was up his arse aswell. The boys have it all covered. Keep it up lads, I haven't listened to 104 since the move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Onkle wrote:
    THe PJ Gallagher calls are terrible
    Have to agree with this. The rest of the show is going great, but I can't stand PJ Gallagher's "funny" calls - but then I can't stand Naked Camera either!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

cson wrote:
    Have to say, heard a Joe Duffy gag this morning.....hilarious. "We've got Sheila on line 7, hello Sheila...... You're not really on line 7 Sheila, your really on line 1, we just say it so it looks like we have loads and loads of lines..."
    Classic.

I've no doubt it was the first time you heard it but it's an old call from their 104 days. It's like raiding the parts bin in a car factory and seeing what you get.

And guys PLEASE don't upset b...b...b....b...bbbbbbability, he is actually related to Colm Hayes' bum fluff so if you slag the lads, you slag him.

Big Balls wrote:
    And guys PLEASE don't upset b...b...b....b...bbbbbbability, he is actually related to Colm Hayes' bum fluff so if you slag the lads, you slag him.
    :D:D...if you had balls you wouldn't write something like this. You must be a BIG GIRL! You are... aren't you?

And just for the record I am not related to Colm or Jim nor anyone in RTE. If I was I would have been working there a long time ago;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I hate these bloody PJ Gallagher prank calls - he's not funny!! Even less so when it's the same stupid joke every time! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Anybody got a link to the pj gallagher calls :confused:

Are they still ringing people in other countries and asking them stuff? Heard it there a few weeks ago and they were ringing Holland and by by pure luck :rolleyes: they got through to a Dutch lad who was more than happy to talk shíte with them for 5 mins :mad: HILARIOUS...jesus lads they must never sleep writing quality gags like that !

To top that off on then they have that clown Gavan using some other pseudonym....Douge Highlife...FFS ! Valuable airtime wasted for 2fm :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

I kinda agree with sizzler. It is a bit of a waste on 2fm and was much better on fm104. Partly because all the best gags/jingles still belong to fm104, but mostly because the jokes have to appeal to a much wider audience now. Dublin humour, cork humour, donegal humour etc.. are all quite different and only overlap in a mildly funny area that is the 2fm breakfast show.

That said, the only reason I don't listen to it is that I invariably catch a bit of Gerry Ryan at the end :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

Are there any stations left that can do a morning show without "comedy", gameshows and kids having nervous breakdowns to win prizes? Not to mention a mix of hard rock, rap, R & B and a car with engine trouble... I mean... erm.... Cascada.

I'm actually starting to miss news, traffic, weather every 20 minutes with decent music in between.

And I wish Will Leahy would stop playing "Every car you chase" at the same time every night and then waffling on about it for 10 minutes as if he was the only person in the country with Limewire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 The Boy Wonders

Switch between Newstalk and Morning Ireland for News, and Live Drive on DCAL for traffic and music, no gimmicks and if dcal isn't playing a song you like try Phantom, flicking between these 4 is a sanity saviour!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

newstalk and cds are the only way to go. the boys are not funny and the show is very poor. in an hour of the show they only play 3 or 4 songs. very very poor quality radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Foolitz

dolittle wrote:
    newstalk and cds are the only way to go. the boys are not funny and the show is very poor. in an hour of the show they only play 3 or 4 songs. very very poor quality radio

Actually, they play more music than anyone else because they have far less ads. The commercial stations are wall to wall ads in the morning. FM104 has about 15 minutes of ads per hour and the same ten songs!!!!!! 2FM play tiny ad breaks, have hotter songs and more laughs.

The PJ calls are very f***in' funny and the calls and songs by the lads are class. Best of all is the chat and slaggin between Colm and JimJim. My little brother says evryone in his school is listening and most of the people I know are into the new show.

I'm not surprised people aren't happy tho. That's Ireland for ya! :D
    Look how popular Darcy, Ryan, Kenny, Duffy etc are in the ratings, but everyone gives out about them. This thread will go on forever!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

That gargling crap this morning had me feeling sick. Who the fúck wants to listen to that down the radio? Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭seamy_orr

This whole idea of RTÉ taking anything that was successful on another radio show (BBC Radio 1) and rehashing it to an Irish audience is terrible. Why oh why doesn't anyone in that station have an imagination and do something new. RTE produce very little of their own tv programming and to have to reuse someone elses idea for a radio programme is unacceptable.
    Licence fee my arse... Get a grip rté:mad:

seamy_orr wrote:
    This whole idea of RTÉ taking anything that was successful on another radio show (BBC Radio 1) and rehashing it to an Irish audience is terrible. Why oh why doesn't anyone in that station have an imagination and do something new. RTE produce very little of their own tv programming and to have to reuse someone elses idea for a radio programme is unacceptable.
    Licence fee my arse... Get a grip rté:mad:

They didn't come from the beeb and its certainly nothing like Chris Moyles' show on Radio 1.

And once again 2fm is not funded by the licence fee. Its self funded.
    Its all great stuff to listen to. Pity RTE didn't do this sooner.

No but the idea of morning "comedy" comes directly from R1. Why can't we have ONE SINGLE PROPER MORNING SHOW IN THIS COUNTRY? Colm and JimJim are bad enough as it is without being placed in the 6am slot:rolleyes:

jb91 wrote:
    Why can't we have ONE SINGLE PROPER MORNING SHOW IN THIS COUNTRY?

Elaborate please jb91? If they all sounded the same we wouldn't have a choice. The way I see it in and around Dublin there is a mound of choice commericial/national stations to choose from at that hour of the morning on your radio.
    RTE R1 Morning Ireland Talk
    RTE 2FM Colm and JIM JIM I(my prefered choice) A/C, Hot A/C
    RTE Lyric Classical Music
    RTE RNAG (not sure never listened but woudn't put it down) Talk/Irish Music
    Today FM (Ian Dempsey and Gift Grub) A/C
    NEWSTALK (Breakfast SHow with Gilroy and Byrne) Talk
    Fm104 (Breakfast Show) Hot A/C, Rock
    98FM (Breakfast Show) Hot A/C, A/C
    Q102 (Breakfast Show) A/C
    DCMIX 106.8 (Country music)
    DCAL 103.2 Live Drive Talk
    MAter Hospital 89.5 North City Centre
    St Ita's Hospital 89.5 North County Dublin Overnight system continuous MOR

There's more choice than listed with LMFM, KFM and East Coast available all over Dublin.

That kinda proves my point to be honest - any of those stations that I'd consider listening to at any other time are shíte in the mornings.

What happened to news, weather, traffic, sport, normal music and 30 second links? That's what they all have for the rest of the day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Foolitz wrote:
    You are right of course Big Balls, the only thing backing up my gut feeling that the show is going to be huge is almost evryone I talk to loves it. From people who used to listen to people who never heard the two lads before.

It's also on everywhere I go, and when I'm stuck in traffic I see a lot of other drivers laughing at the same time as me listening to 2fM.

Even the amount of interest in it here after 5 weeks goes to show how much of a buzz there is. Like it or loathe it (as many here obviously do), it has a huge buzz around it.

I'm sure the radio survey results will prove it's working when they get printed out.

Well the JNLR interim results are out and guess wha???!!!

Colm and Dim-Jim show have dropped 6,000 listeners since March compared to Marty's ratings... yep the results show.... it's a terrible show.

PS I was a huge fan of these on FM104

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I hated them on FM104, the only reason I listened was the office bully wanted them on. I no longer work there, thank fcuk.

I'd be very surprised to hear that they are any better on 2fm, but thats my taster.

Its Newstalk for me in the mornings.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'm sure that's not the news RTÉ wanted to hear, though I suppose it's only early days yet.

I still don't think the results are anywhere near real-life, and just vague guesses at best based on a small amount of testers.

There has to be a bedding in process with Colm and Jim. My opinion on the 6000 difference is probably 6000 listeners who should be listening to Q102 or Dublin's Country. They're probably past the 2fm generation age anyway. On the other hand Colm and Jim need to get on with it now. They need to throw the 2fm rule book out the window and get on with the show the way they want it to sound. To me it sounds very watered down in comparison to the old Strawberry Alarm Clock. Stuff the rules and the poxy 2fm playlist and get sounding like you did on 104 and surround themselves with creative people. A huge weak link in the show is that Lyndsey or whatever her name is.... she's rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 bunker

bbability wrote:
    A huge weak link in the show is that Lyndsey or whatever her name is.... she's rubbish.
    As far as I know she's John Clarke's daughter.

• Advertisement

That's real civil service stuff. I was wonderin what stone she crawled out from...

byte wrote:
    I'm sure that's not the news RTÉ wanted to hear, though I suppose it's only early days yet.

So much so that they didn't even mention it on their news reports about the latest JNLR figures.. >> http://www.rte.ie/arts/2007/0824/jnlr.html
    bbability wrote:
    On the other hand Colm and Jim need to get on with it now. They need to throw the 2fm rule book out the window and get on with the show the way they want it to sound. To me it sounds very watered down in comparison to the old Strawberry Alarm Clock. Stuff the rules and the poxy 2fm playlist and get sounding like you did on 104 and surround themselves with creative people.

I completely agree, that's their major problem with the show. If they could just get back to the freedom they had with FM104, it would be the best morning show on the airwaves imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dubrunner

tomED wrote:
    Well the JNLR interim results are out and guess wha???!!!

Colm and Dim-Jim show have dropped 6,000 listeners since March compared to Marty's ratings... yep the results show.... it's a terrible show.

PS I was a huge fan of these on FM104

2 things.

Firstly there are no interim results anymore as there are now 4 full JNLR results per year.

This book reflects the period from July 2006 - June 2007. As Colm & Jim only came on air since March, this means that 66% of the 6,000 decline was attributed to Marty Whelan.

The real reslt will appear in the next book or the 1st book in '08.

According to the Evening Herald on Friday, the 6,000 decline is since they started in March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dubrunner

tomED wrote:
    According to the Evening Herald on Friday, the 6,000 decline is since they started in March.

There is no analysis of this period. The latest book is July '06 - June '07 with 12 month and 6 month data only.

All measurements are now made book on book and not year on year.

Go ask the JNLR committee!......... I wouldn't believe everything I read in the newspapers........ remember they want advertisers money too!!

dubrunner wrote:
    There is no analysis of this period. The latest book is July '06 - June '07 with 12 month and 6 month data only.

All measurements are now made book on book and not year on year.

Go ask the JNLR committee!......... I wouldn't believe everything I read in the newspapers........ remember they want advertisers money too!!

Well here's how they figured it out then... (in a similar fashion to you I might add)

However, the station continues to have difficulties with its breakfast show, despite the replacement of Marty Whelan with presenters Colm Hayes and Jim-Jim Nugent. The programme’s audience has fallen to 168,000 compared with 205,000 a year ago— a decrease of 18%.

Original article on the Irish Examiner:
    http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:B0_4OUdYRYsJ:www.examiner.ie/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg%3Direland-qqqm%3Direland-qqqa%3Direland-qqqid%3D40734-qqqx%3D1.asp+JNLR+figures+2007+breakfast&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Colm and Jim Jim will go off on a skiiing holiday next year and get a mobile phone call from JC......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Nah. Those idiots wouldn't have the mental capacity to stay upright long enough to put their skis on. Nice to see JC's plans for breakfast show domination floundering though. I'm no fan of Marty Whelan but the manner in which he got the boot was despicable.

Firetrap wrote:
    I'm no fan of Marty Whelan but the manner in which he got the boot was despicable.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Radio Presenting....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Anyone know why there is no mention of colm and jimjim on the 2fm site.It says damien farrely is on from 6am and marty whelan is on at nine. Have they been sacked or are rte just dredfully slow at updating their site.
    OH, I see they were on holiyers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭Ms Inquisitive

Just too slow for their own good!!

Updating a website can't cost that much!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Maybe their webmaster went on a skiiing trip :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 lampydoo

They were on holidays for the past couple of weeks, so Damien was covering for them. That is why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

lampydoo wrote:
    They were on holidays for the past couple of weeks, so Damien was covering for them. That is why.

And a bloody good DJ he is too. Often overlooked when mentioning DJ's on this or any forum... unnecessarily so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

DMC wrote:
    And a bloody good DJ he is too. Often overlooked when mentioning DJ's on this or any forum... unnecessarily so.

Hi Damien...:D

DMC wrote:
    I have to agree. I quite liked the morning show while he was on.

Karsini wrote:
    I have to agree. I quite liked the morning show while he was on.
    Just wondering if he got to choose the music or was that LG at it again with all the 80s cheese. TBH I thought he was average

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

You should give the gig a go yourself Chris Moyles, I mean bbability ;)

Big Balls wrote:
    You should give the gig a go yourself Chris Moyles, I mean bbability ;)

Moi the saviour of radio 1.. hah dream on big balls! Only thing is I'm already getting paid a wad of money for something else that I enjoy which means I don't have to look over my shoulder every time I take a day off or go on holiday ;)

Bounce Back Ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

The only thing I ever found entertaining about their show was the Paudgie and Gavin bits but that's about it. I don't know if they still do them and I'm not tuning in to find out.

Advertisement