Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL smtp problem

Options
  • 11-02-2007 4:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Whilst I can receive emails fine I seem to be having a problem sending emails using outlook. Everything was working fine until a couple of weeks ago when the computer I was using became irreparably broken, forcing me to use other computers instead. I set up my iol email account according to the instructions on the iol website, ie using pop.iol.ie and mail.iol.ie but I can't send emails out at all now. I tried using telnet to open a connection to mail.iol.ie on port 25 but I couldn't make a connection at all.
    'tis all very odd. Any suggestions? Am I wrong in using mail.iol.ie as the smtp server? IOL technical support are both incompetent and impossible to get hold of!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

FatPope wrote:
    Whilst I can receive emails fine I seem to be having a problem sending emails using outlook. Everything was working fine until a couple of weeks ago when the computer I was using became irreparably broken, forcing me to use other computers instead. I set up my iol email account according to the instructions on the iol website, ie using pop.iol.ie and mail.iol.ie but I can't send emails out at all now. I tried using telnet to open a connection to mail.iol.ie on port 25 but I couldn't make a connection at all.
    'tis all very odd. Any suggestions? Am I wrong in using mail.iol.ie as the smtp server? IOL technical support are both incompetent and impossible to get hold of!
    Who provides your internet connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 FatPope

I have a broadband connection with esat bt. IOL is also owned by bt. Just out of curiosity can someone else try and telnet mail.iol.ie on port 25 just to make sure it's not something on my end blocking it? I've had some reports that other people can't do it either!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 FatPope

It's grand, finally got a proper answer from bt. They recommended trying mail.esat.net instead of mail.iol.ie and now everything works. It's interesting because all of the iol/esat/bt website info lists mail.iol.ie without a single mention of mail.esat.net so I don't know what they're playing at. Also, like I said, mail.iol.ie seems to not even exist on port 25.

Advertisement